It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Most of our founding fathers were deists and abhored religion in all its forms.

I see these kind of statements a lot here on ATS. They're not accurate. (Neither is the notion that all of our founding fathers were Christians)

You should read up on your history.

If you're interested in developing a more balanced perspective on this you can start by reading this article:

Was America Founded As A Christian Nation?

Christians were well represented among the Founding Fathers and the issue of those who are associated with deistic beliefs are complicated. Suffice it to say that many of their beliefs didn't hold to the dictionary definition of deist.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: mattsawaufo

I don't spend a dime on my faith....

Then you are not a very good Christian.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

why not?

i thought religion was about worshiping the lord, and all that....

i'm not sure i understand where money is even a factor....unless it's just another scam, to bilk gullible folks out of their money..

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

Sorry I misread... but the same holds true that this is in YOUR mind... And has nothing to do with the "breaking news"... Hense it being a rediculous thread that deserves the hoax bin... Again, no-one cares what you do.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Meee32

either that, or maybe LOL....because it didn't really have anything to do with what he said it did...the title was misleading, and was really nothing more that religious baiting...

he obviously hates anyone who doesn't think like him, and will take any excuse he can get, to argue with, and belittle them, for having the gaul to think differently from him.
edit on 6-5-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus

Agreed fully, I think hating atheists is more a religion than atheism. Especially when we see the same kind of fabricated stories we do in religions. I'll leave him to his delusions.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Meee32

that's probably the wisest course....feeding them only makes them more bold..

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
a reply to: Woodcarver

Most of our founding fathers were deists and abhored religion in all its forms.

I see these kind of statements a lot here on ATS. They're not accurate. (Neither is the notion that all of our founding fathers were Christians)

You should read up on your history.

If you're interested in developing a more balanced perspective on this you can start by reading this article:

Was America Founded As A Christian Nation?

Christians were well represented among the Founding Fathers and the issue of those who are associated with deistic beliefs are complicated. Suffice it to say that many of their beliefs didn't hold to the dictionary definition of deist.

Yes some of the founding fathers were religious but they were not blind to what happens when you mix religion with politics. Remember many of these people fled their homelands because of religion. Here are a few quotes by Thomas Jefferson about religion.

“In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.” ~Founding Father Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Horatio Spofford, 1814

“Because religious belief, or non-belief, is such an important part of every person’s life, freedom of religion affects every individual. State churches that use government power to support themselves and force their views on persons of other faiths undermine all our civil rights. Moreover, state support of the church tends to make the clergy unresponsive to the people and leads to corruption within religion. Erecting the “wall of separation between church and state,” therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society. We have solved … the great and interesting question whether freedom of religion is compatible with order in government and obedience to the laws. And we have experienced the quiet as well as the comfort which results from leaving every one to profess freely and openly those principles of religion which are the inductions of his own reason and the serious convictions of his own inquiries.” ~Founding Father Thomas Jefferson: in a speech to the Virginia Baptists, 1808

“Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.” ~Founding Father Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814,

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

What agenda is that?

Just curious. Though I suspect I know what I'm going to be accused of...

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32

Sorry I misread... but the same holds true that this is in YOUR mind... And has nothing to do with the "breaking news"... Hense it being a rediculous thread that deserves the hoax bin... Again, no-one cares what you do.

If you actually think the thread belongs in the bin, then why do you spend any of your time or thought energy writing and replying on this thread? Lets Be real.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

First time ever I agree with you
People just let this nonsense thread die.
Nothing more than baiting from the op.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Um?

Do you really want a response?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Most religions,christian religions included, require you to give back some of your earnings to help with what the church does to help others.
So if you don't give them any money then you are being a bad member of the church because your are not helping others.

So are you one that just picks and chooses what part of your religion you want to follow?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Then can't it just be, "let us take a moment to pray to the God or God's you follow. If you do not pray, then please allow a moment of silence for those who do." Courteous and effective in my opinion.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think a precedent was set, in a way at least, when this country was founded. The Founders of the United States talked about God, placed religious phrases in various places, and made it evident that this "experiment" was one sanctioned by God. Now even if this was not really the case, the fact that religious ideas were instituted immediately means it would take a vast majority to overturn such things.

What I want to know is why do atheists care? Do they feel threatened when other people pray? If you don't believe in God, then don't participate. This is part of the problem in the US...people want to cry over every little thing. Just grow up and get over it. It didn't hurt you any, and it is in no way violating any of your rights. What these people should be worried about is the mass surveillance by the NSA, which IS violating your rights, among other things.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

That is the most absurd argument from a non believer being difficult with someone who does believe I have ever heard.

Not every religion asks that. Please don't lump us all together....its retarded to do so.

Catholics don't HAVE to give to the church and I was raised Catholic. Not that its any of your businesses or even remotely on topic.

This sentiment by people purposefully cherry picking so as to insult, judge , and generally be a prick is why intelligent conversation fails when talking about religion.

Do you even care if I am a good christian? Are you even remotely qualified to judge my religious standing.. Its like a prositute calling someone a whore.

edit on 5 6 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It is a very true fact, that many religions require you to give money to the church... not sure where you get that is absurd...

I didn't lump anything, I said most religions require it, not that ALL require
Catholism back in its heyday I am sure required it bu

And your right, I don't care if you are a good christian, just simply pointing out why buster said what he said, or at least what I took from his response
You seemed to be confused so was just trying to clarify.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Yup the bible even tells you to give.

Exodus 30:14
All who cross over, those twenty years old or more, are to give an offering to the LORD.

Exodus 30:15
The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less, than the half shekel, when you give the LORD’s offering to make atonement for your lives.

Yup and who collects this God Tax?...the priests who push all this BS.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Yup the bible even tells you to give.

Exodus 30:14
All who cross over, those twenty years old or more, are to give an offering to the LORD.

Exodus 30:15
The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less, than the half shekel, when you give the LORD’s offering to make atonement for your lives.

Matthew 22: 15-22

Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not?”

But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

“Caesar’s,” they replied.

Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”

When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

edit on 6-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

actually, it's changed with the times...it's now unofficially called the "life tax", it's collected by the IRS, and officially termed the "individual mandate"

new topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join