It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DietJoke

a reply to: DietJoke

No no, a constitutional change would be TOWARDS a theocracy. I want to keep it as the founders intended, free from the influence of idiots who claim to speak for invisible sky wizards.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Secret009
a reply to: Xcathdra

"There is nothing in the constitution that prohibits prayer in school, government buildings etc.

It becomes a violation when the government passes a law requiring religion be practiced in those places."

Like a mandatory Christian prayer at a government building, or the phrase 'under god' in the pledge (in schools)?

Follow proper forum etiquette and quote accordingly!!!

If you wish for reading "comprehension" then participate with something legible enough to comprehend. Your massing others words with yours.

This is basic sh#

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I used to think that the separation between church and state was pretty basic too. Then I met people like you.

Basic sh**.
edit on 5-5-2014 by Secret009 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Secret009

If you want the constitution to remain as it is then you MUST ALLOW ...

the free exercise of religion

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

First Amendment to the United States Constitution

So the people of Greece township MAY assemble peaceably and MAY freely exercise their religion by saying prayers to start council meetings with.

Now since you don't want that then you do NOT want the constitution to remain as it is and therefor you want an amendment made.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

a reply to: Iscool

"Thankfully Jefferson was wrong...

The gov't favors Christianity over other religions because the people in gov't favor Christianity...The Founders seem to have believed in Christianity or at least the Christian God... "

The Treaty of Tripoli- 1797
"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."
-John Adams

How does it feel to be so incredibly wrong?

That treaty was good for only four years and was replaced with article 11 removed...

Interesting Jefferson was concerned about the separation of church and state which doesn't exist in the Constitution....Might want to note that Jefferson was concerned with the church...He wasn't concerned about mosques or muzlims...No Mormons...He didn't mention the Jewish religion...Jefferson mentioned the only religion that uniquely uses the term 'church'...And that is Christianity...Christianity was the religion of the Founders...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

"There is nothing in the constitution that prohibits prayer in school, government buildings etc.

It becomes a violation when the government passes a law requiring religion be practiced in those places."

Like a mandatory Christian prayer at a government building, or the phrase 'under god' in the pledge (in schools)?

again - wrong.

The ruling states its not a constitutional violation for a prayer to be said prior to meetings. The people in attendance are not required to participate in the prayer.

If they were required then yes, you would have your violation.

As for your other comment - Maybe research the situation . Constitution a bit more before shooting your mouth off. What I stated is accurate and its supported by the Constitution.

tell ya what -

You link me to the part of the Constitution where it states separation of church and state is required.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

"That treaty was good for only four years and was replaced with article 11 removed... "

I don't know if you know this, but the treaty itself was not the thing that made the US a secular nation. The treaty merely restated the establishment clause in our constitution. The fact that the treaty expires does not mean that we instantly became a Christian nation.

Also, to claim the Jefferson did not understand the constitution, that he helped write, is the crescendo of arrogance and stupidity.

"Christianity was the religion of the Founders"

I can see that you are stuck on this particular piece of propaganda delivered to you by Fox news and your local pastor, but that doesn't make it true. The founders were deists, not Christians. you want evidence?

"For rebellion as is the sin of witchcraft." 1 Samuel, 15:23

For a country supposedly founded on both religion and a revolution, this seems kind of contradictory, right?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

"The ruling states its not a constitutional violation for a prayer to be said prior to meetings." - You

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"- US Constitution

Are you saying that prayer is not a religious act? Or are you just saying that government buildings don't count at part of the government?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Oh, by the way, Jefferson WAS concerned with mosques. The Treaty of Tripoli itself was addressed to Mussel-men (Muslims). And Mormonism wasn't even created yet.

P.S.
Are you really trying to say that religious freedom only applies to Christians? hahaha

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Secret009

The government cannot pass a law establishing a state religion.

No where in the Constitution does it mention separation of church and state. Secondly supreme court rulings on the matter had no impact on the states until the early to mid 1940's if I remember right.

When you walk into a city council meeting, and they say a prayer, you are free to walk out, listen, ignore it etc. You cannot be forced to participate and you cannot be charged for not participating.

You are, for some reason, missing the "forced / required" part of the explanation - which is the key element required to determine constitutional / lawful and unconstitutional / unlawful.

edit on 5-5-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

"The government cannot pass a law establishing a state religion. "

"No where in the Constitution does it mention separation of church and state. "

Uttered by the same person, in quick succession, makes you seem like you are purposefully trolling me now. # off.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

"The government cannot pass a law establishing a state religion. "

"No where in the Constitution does it mention separation of church and state. "

Uttered by the same person, in quick succession, makes you seem like you are purposefully trolling me now. # off.

I responded to your posts you made to me.
I was providing information to help you understand what I am trying to get across.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I used to think that the separation between church and state was pretty basic too. Then I met people like you.

Basic sh**.

People like me? And we've met? Wtf?

Be glad that I am a gentleman.

Now I'm straying back on topic. However with all your "tangents" it will be an arduous task.

So
ur heart away

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

Typical ignorant bigotry from a "christian." One of these days you fools will need to realize you cannot and will not dictate your close minded belief systems to us. We are gaining in numbers, and soon, you will be a minority.

(post by Secret009 removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Atheism is to religion what off is to a TV channel.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
double post sorry
edit on 5-5-2014 by Secret009 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I see oxygen every day i service the aircraft with liquid oxygen, so once again, you are incorrect.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The number of those who classify themselves as atheist or without religious affiliation grows every year. This ruling will be overturned before I die (hopefully, I'm pretty young). Maybe then I'll post a snarky article response with a title that includes the phrase "Christians Lose.. Again." The day is coming, and I bet its going to be sooner that you think.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

evangelical militant atheists.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join