Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose...Again.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+14 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose…Again.

The poor and sorry Atheists…they just can’t seem to square and force their God-less agenda onto the rest of American society.

It is reported today that the U.S. Supreme Court has once again ruled in favor of Religious Freedom in these United States of America. When the Supreme Court rules, it sets a precedence for future rulings, and this ruling will be no different.

One of these days, Atheists will need to accept the fact that there is a distinct difference between “Religious Freedom” protected by the U.S. Constitution and “Freedom from Religion” as propagated by the Atheists who seek a Communist society for America.

Supreme Court: Opening prayers at council meetings constitutional
The Supreme Court has upheld the right of local officials to open town council meetings with prayer, ruling that this does not violate the Constitution even if the prayers routinely stress Christianity.
The court said in a 5-4 decision Monday that the content of the prayers is not critical as long as officials make a good-faith effort at inclusion.

The ruling was a victory for the town of Greece, N.Y., outside of Rochester.
"The prayer opportunity in this case must be evaluated against the backdrop of historical practice," the majority wrote in its opinion. "As a practice that has long endured, legislative prayer has become part of our heritage and tradition, part of our expressive idiom, similar to the Pledge of Allegiance, inaugural prayer, or the recitation of 'God save the United States and this honorable Court' at the opening of this Court's sessions."
The majority justices further argued that the intended audience is not "the public but lawmakers themselves."
In 1983, the court upheld an opening prayer in the Nebraska legislature and said that prayer is part of the nation's fabric, not a violation of the First Amendment. Monday's ruling was consistent with the earlier one.
Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the majority, said the prayers are ceremonial and in keeping with the nation's traditions.
"The inclusion of a brief, ceremonial prayer as part of a larger exercise in civic recognition suggests that its purpose and effect are to acknowledge religious leaders and the institutions they represent, rather than to exclude or coerce nonbelievers," Kennedy said.
The American Center for Law and Justice, which filed a brief in the case backing the town of Greece, applauded the decision.
"This is a sound decision that recognizes the significance of our nation's heritage and tradition," Jay Sekulow, chief counsel of the ACLJ, said in a statement.
But Justice Elena Kagan, in a dissent for the court's four liberal justices, said the case differs significantly from the 1983 decision because "Greece's town meetings involve participation by ordinary citizens, and the invocations given -- directly to those citizens -- were predominantly sectarian in content."
A federal appeals court in New York ruled that Greece violated the Constitution by opening nearly every meeting over an 11-year span with prayers that stressed Christianity.

Fox News Report link found here: www.foxnews.com...

CNN News Report Link found here: www.cnn.com...
edit on 5-5-2014 by rickynews because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: rickynews

I agree with the ruling, but I am troubled by it.

It appears that many decisions lately (perhaps it has always been the case, dunno) have been done with the decisions being politically ideological in nature than just a direct interpretation of the law.

Which is fine, unless you happen to have an ideology different than that of the majority.

The Supreme Court appears just as biased as our representatives that we elect.

And that bothers me.

A whole bunch.

+12 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
No one is forcing them to participate in anything, but they must also keep anyone else from participating and honoring God. I wouldn't want to be in their position at the end of my life and I am not even a Christian.

It doesn't hurt me in the least to allow others to pray before meals, meetings and even school functions. One wonders why it is so abhorrent to Atheists that others might have faith in something.

Live and let live isn't good enough for Atheists apparently.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I agree with the ruling, but I am troubled by it.

It appears that many decisions lately (perhaps it has always been the case, dunno) have been done with the decisions being politically ideological in nature than just a direct interpretation of the law.

Which is fine, unless you happen to have an ideology different than that of the majority.

The Supreme Court appears just as biased as our representatives that we elect.

And that bothers me.

A whole bunch.

I think the following statement by Justice Kennedy is a very key point:

"that its purpose and effect are to acknowledge religious leaders and the institutions they represent, rather than to exclude or coerce nonbelievers," Kennedy said

+3 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm with you guys..

Why in the world should it bother anyone that I want to pray? Is there fear that lightning bolts will come down and smash them? Do they think I will convert them against their will just because I pray? I don't care if they don't pray, so why should anyone care if I do? They'll just laugh and snub me anyways for my beliefs, so why force me to not to do something I'm not forcing them to do?

This is so damn silly... and they call christians crazy and overbearing.

+58 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Two women brought this suit. One was atheist but the other was Jewish. Their complaint was not that there was a prayer, but that it was always a Christian prayer.

Nowhere in either story do they talk about atheists... You've got your story all screwed up.

But nice attempt at a slam on atheists.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
I'm with you guys..

Why in the world should it bother anyone that I want to pray? Is there fear that lightning bolts will come down and smash them? Do they think I will convert them against their will just because I pray? I don't care if they don't pray, so why should anyone care if I do? They'll just laugh and snub me anyways for my beliefs, so why force me to not to do something I'm not forcing them to do?

You are on to it. Atheism is a Religion in and of itself, yet they have an agenda to restrict the practice or exercise of Religious practices while they hide behind the false notion of "don't pray, because it offends me". In reality, its Pathetic.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Two women brought this suit. One was atheist but the other was Jewish. Their complaint was not that there was a prayer, but that it was always a Christian prayer.

Nowhere in either story do they talk about atheists... You've got your story all screwed up.

But nice attempt at a slam on atheists.

Atheists aren't celebrating the decision, that's for sure. If Jews want to pray as well, at least in these United States of America, they are free to do so.

+24 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

The poor and sorry Atheists…they just can’t seem to square and force their God-less agenda onto the rest of American society. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's the opinion of someone that prays to an invisible man in the sky who can do nothing for you in this world but wants you to believe the next world will be different.

Can you explain why anyone should value your assessment of reality? Why would a person that is not internally grounded in this world, be suitable for any leadership position in anything except for the church? Next, you'll be asking tax money to go into the construction of a giant ark.
edit on 5-5-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

The poor and sorry Atheists…they just can’t seem to square and force their God-less agenda onto the rest of American society. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's the opinion of someone that prays to an invisible man in the sky who can do nothing for you in this world but wants you to believe the next world will be different.

Can you explain why anyone should value your assessment of reality? Why would a person that is not internally grounded in this world, be suitable for any leadership position in anything except for the church? Next, you'll be asking tax money to go into the construction of a giant ark.

We can't see Air and Oxygen either, yet we know it exists, and we all most definitely need it.

+8 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickynews

originally posted by: StallionDuck
I'm with you guys..

You are on to it. Atheism is a Religion in and of itself, yet they have an agenda to restrict the practice or exercise of Religious practices while they hide behind the false notion of "don't pray, because it offends me". In reality, its Pathetic.

it is not a religion, nor is there an agenda....you can pray all you want, atheists don't care....if you want to have the 2nd amendment followed to the letter, them you need to follow the 1st.....you have the freedom OF religion, that's it. atheists simply don't won't your religion to apply to them....in laws, in actions, in repercussions, and that is all there is to it......

+9 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

To all too many, non Catholic/Christian may as well be atheists. This ruling leaves me a bit uncomfortable, it seems to be all too ideologically driven for my tastes.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

That's all good, except when atheists try to Restrict my, and others Freedom to pray, or Freedom to practice my and others Religion of choice. That is what this case and ruling is all about -Thanks be to God.

+10 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I agree with what you said Beez, but I do not agree with the courts decision.

Thomas Jefferson one said that there should be a distinct "wall" erected between church and state. If there was not a separation of the two, one can affect the other.

That's what is happening here.

The courts have decided that prayer (Christianity) is nothing more than a tradition or a ceremony and it's part of what America is.

This ruling is very bad. Pretty much was this means is that the US government favors one religion over all others. Christianity.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I'm an atheist and I don't want any of the things mentioned above!!

Please stop generalizing.

You believe what you want and pray to whom and when you want, it's all gravy to me.

link   

U.S. Supreme Court Ruling: Atheists Lose…Again.

The poor and sorry Atheists…they just can’t seem to square and force their God-less agenda onto the rest of American society.

It is reported today that the U.S. Supreme Court has once again ruled in favor of Religious Freedom in these United States of America. When the Supreme Court rules, it sets a precedence for future rulings, and this ruling will be no different.

One of these days, Atheists will need to accept the fact that there is a distinct difference between “Religious Freedom” protected by the U.S. Constitution and “Freedom from Religion” as propagated by the Atheists who seek a Communist society for America.

Nothing wrong in upholding traditions imo. I see no reason to whine about a prayer being said even though I do not ascribe to it myself. I can recognize it's place and impact on our society throughout history and especially in american history. The only thing I do take issue with is your condescending words and attitude. Your message could have been relayed in a less combative manner, but that's simply my opinion. An opinion of an atheist that doesn't seek a godless society nor has an urge for communism. It's that attitude your putting forth, on both sides of the coin, that causes idiotic lawsuits such as this.

+1 more 
link   

Is it attempting to restrict your freedoms, or attempting to protect themselves from restrictions on their freedoms?

As Benevolent Heretic pointed out, one of the women was Jewish. Not exactly a communistic atheist...

I wonder how you'd feel if you were in the religious minority and faced with constant reminders of that...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

That's what bothers me as well.

Justices are supposed to be impartial, and simply interpret the Constitution as far as how it is applicable.

Yet it seems as though the Justices are coming into this with preconceived ideas and are using their interpretation of the Constitution to justify and bolster their own ideologies.

+11 more 
posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

We can't see Air and Oxygen either, yet we know it exists, and we all most definitely need it.

Can you also squeeze god into a pressurized tank and dispense him into your lungs if you're short of breath?

That's a cop out answer. Air is a tangible thing that actually exists.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer
I see the same thing, Beez. And I am afraid.

Of the three branches of US government, currently we have the Executive ruling by fiat with Executive Orders and imposed regulation.

Next we have a Supreme Court sharply divided and ruling by fiat as every decision is made precisely along ideological lines.

Finally we have the Legislative Branch which has been rendered irrelevant due to being so completely divided that it is nearly inactive (certainly it is ineffectual).

The only "governing" that is happening is that which the people have no say (and very little influence) in.

This is very, very NOT GOOD!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join