It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone here take the bible completely litteraly

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch
Howdy all,
First reply, so here goes...
To follow anything that was written however many thousand years ago would be almost impossible for one you would spend allot of time in a court room.
However the basic guide lines of the major religions is be good to each other and have respect for all. These things shouldnt be hard to follow should they?

Greed has always been there and human weakness likewise so although some my preach that they live to the word of whatever lord they follow but lying breaks the rules as well.

Respect and Kindness to all

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: buster2010
Each book within the bible was written by a different person, in a different time period ... and written for different reasons for different readers.

But somehow the Bible is divinely inspired? How?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

its to the levites and a guidebook for the priests. i dont' go into the holy of holys once a year nor would i cut my hair like they were supposed to. we r the gentiles far from the priests or "holy" hebrews. if we were to follow the bible in fear of going to hell we'd c to the new testament.
i personally don't read the bible in fear of going to hell. i read it to read it. leviticus is my favorite book.
edit on 5-5-2014 by npo902 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Good question.

What those who believe the bible is entirely divinely inspired say -

biblical inspiration

the authors and editors of the Bible were led or influenced by God with the result that their writings may be designated in some sense the word of God

I guess, supposedly, every story in the bible has a lesson from God in it.
Even if the story is just folklore, the message is something God wants people to know.

That's just a guess on my part.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Each book within the bible was written by a different person, in a different time period ... and written for different reasons for different readers.

dictated by a divine being outside of our timeline.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
Meaning every word, every story, every parable is literal

Do Pharisees “You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.” (Matt. 23:24, NIV) swallow camels?

Would you pluck out an eye “If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out…” Matt. 5:29

Do you hate your parents “If any man come to me and hate not his father and mother…”

Do you believe “The cities are great, and walled up to heaven.” Deut. 1:28, or the walls are just very high

Maybe “Everything is possible for him who believes.” (Mark 9:23b, NIV), everything, millions, fame and all earthly desires

Do the Father and Son just sit in heaven on thrones “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.” Psalm 110:1

Does anyone here on ats who claims Christianity not believe that the bibles writers used figures of speech, exaggerations or extravagant analogies

Do any atheists take it literally, in so much as to believe that is how it is interpreted and should be understood by Christians

Just asking because I would be surprised if many, if any, do.

Does anyone believe this?

John 14:14
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

edit on 5-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick

dictated by a divine being outside of our timeline.

Do you have any evidence or just "Faith"

If the Holy word is just open to interpretation...doesn't this call into question the whole Christian religion? And Judaism as well?

Is it any wonder charismatic leaders/preachers can influence such great numbers of people?
edit on 5-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I used to - until four years ago. Not anymore. I had total and complete faith ... the 'hallelujah praise the lord' type of faith. I prayed with total faith and trust that I'd be healed from my illness'. I expected it. It was promised. And I'm not healed. So I no longer buy that quote. And I look around and see how many people are praying with complete faith and they aren't healed either. I've come to the conclusion that God is going to do exactly whatever He wants, and our input is usually dismissed.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

When I was 3 I almost died from a bad case of pneumonia. After that I got sick every time the weather changed. I didn't understand why I always was sick, and asked my mom "why?" She told me that I just didn't pray hard enough or have enough faith.

I hate that attitude!

edit on 5-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

She told me that I just didn't pray hard enough or have enough faith.

I've been told that as well. Ticks me off. I was very much 'full of faith' ... absolute unquestioning total faith that if I asked, then God would heal. It didn't happen. So when idiots say 'oh you didn't have enough faith' ... It disgusts me. So I hear you .. I totally hear you.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I don't think its a matter of faith...

Rather if its Gods will or not...

We don't always understand the reasoning for why things happen

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Exactly. But there are fundamentalists running around quoting scripture saying that all you need is 'faith' and you will be healed .. so if you are still sick then it's a 'lack of faith' and a 'punishment' of some kind. Not only is that dead wrong, but it's the worst thing you can say to a sick person. Seriously the worst.
edit on 5/5/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

We don't always understand the reasoning for why things happen

But that's not what the Bible says, is it?

edit on 5-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

But that's not what the Bible says, is it?

There is a lot of reality that's not in the bible.
And there is a lot of the bible that isn't reality.

And feel free to quote me on that ... just give me the credit.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

Bull, it is a hodge podge of Stories, Poems (theres a book of poems) and History.

The blanket statement shows a lack of understanding on what the bible even is.

A lack of understanding on what the bible even is? Isn't it a book? If you have a brighter idea, I'd love to hear it.

If everything in it is a literal truth, and that's how you measure things, than Any history book that has Idioms in it should be thrown out as its not "true"

Thrown out? This might be the wackiest logic I've seen all day.

What I am saying that if the Bible is to be left up to interpretation, no interpretation is wrong and not one is correct.

Yeah I didn't read disclaimer in the Bible saying "The Bible is a hodgepodge of stories, poems and history. God writes figuratively sometimes." That is all your interpretation, and what is considered metaphor, story and truth is entirely up to you.

edit on 5-5-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Yes.

You left out the preceding verse: John 14:13 (NIV) "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."

There's a condition snuck in there. What you're asking for has to be consistent with God's... "essence" (I guess) or you're not going to get it. It must "glorify the Father".

You can ask Him to smite your neighbor's dog for crapping on your lawn and He's not going to do it. You can ask Him to heal your grandma's cancer and, chances are, He's not going to do it. You have no idea what His plans for her are.

"Thy will be done, not mine." If you pray for the understanding of spiritual ways, you will get it.

Oh yeah. Let's not forget that he was talking directly to his disciples when he said all this stuff in John. Those guys were privy to some pretty amazing things, so maybe they would've gotten Galilean caviar for dinner every night if they prayed for it.

But they wouldn't. That's kinda the point. Jesus, I'm not even a Christian and I can't stand it when people take their theology out-of-context.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

It's not out of context, although it is contradictory.

You left out the preceding verse: John 14:13 (NIV) "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."

There's a condition snuck in there. What you're asking for has to be consistent with God's... "essence" (I guess) or you're not going to get it. It must "glorify the Father".

How does healing a sick child NOT glorify the father?

I guess if that's what you have to tell yourself to keep with your dogma that the Bible is the infallible word of God......

Personally I don't see that scripture as being a qualifying condition for Jesus to grant your every wish, I see it as the reason why Jesus will grant your every wish.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   

How does healing a sick child NOT glorify the father?

I suppose that would depend on the child. Maybe the child would grow up to be a serial rapist if cured.

Point being--we have no idea. We are incapable of seeing the Big Picture. If you look at a human being under a microscope, all you will see is cells splitting and bouncing off of each other with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Zoom out and you see that what appeared to be chaos is actually organized into a harmonious pattern. In fact, zooming out is the only way to see that. On a scale such as this, we are incapable of sufficiently "zooming out" with our five senses and limited mental faculties.

You can't take any one event on face value. It's connected to everything else, though you may not be aware of it.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I guess if that's what you have to tell yourself to keep with your dogma that the Bible is the infallible word of God......

Did you even read my post?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

So then you admit that Jesus does not answer all prayer as the Bible says.

Hospitals are full of Christian children with debilitating and/or life ending illnesses, whose parents pray for them to be healed. They suffer and die anyway.

edit on 6-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join