Does anyone here take the bible completely litteraly

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Meaning every word, every story, every parable is literal

Do Pharisees “You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.” (Matt. 23:24, NIV) swallow camels?

Would you pluck out an eye “If thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out…” Matt. 5:29

Do you hate your parents “If any man come to me and hate not his father and mother…”

Do you believe “The cities are great, and walled up to heaven.” Deut. 1:28, or the walls are just very high

Maybe “Everything is possible for him who believes.” (Mark 9:23b, NIV), everything, millions, fame and all earthly desires

Do the Father and Son just sit in heaven on thrones “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.” Psalm 110:1

Does anyone here on ats who claims Christianity not believe that the bibles writers used figures of speech, exaggerations or extravagant analogies

Do any atheists take it literally, in so much as to believe that is how it is interpreted and should be understood by Christians

Just asking because I would be surprised if many, if any, do.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch No and I would think that it would be impossible to do so and get a understanding from it .It seems to have been designed that way in order to draw the reader into the mind of God .I read in another thread that the Quran tells it reader that it is written in Arabic .That is a hard one to figure out and says something but I am a bit suspicious as to why it makes that point . S & F....peace

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hmm, I always wondered this myself. I did a job once with a really good christian young man, who was an awesome guitar player and just an over all nice guy. We had a lot of conversations regarding this issue, I am one who thinks a lot of it is just stories that are meant to make us open our mind and look at things differently. But he on the other hand was a die hard Bible pro. Everything in the bible happened in real life, From the Creation, to the soon Return of Christ. It was really interesting hearing his thoughts. Hope more people can give their own.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Literal and Parable, are two contradictory things.

Its an oxymoron from the start, the question you ask is wrong to begin with.

eta:

Literal

in accordance with, involving, or being the primary or strict meaning of the word or words; not figurative or metaphorical: the literal meaning of a word.

Parable

a short allegorical story designed to illustrate or teach some truth, religious principle, or moral lesson
edit on 5-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
No one takes the bible literally not even the pope. This is easy to prove Leviticus 19:27 says ""'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard". So if the pope were to do as the bible says then he should look like a hippy from the 60's.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

If the bible is to be taken as truth, it should be taken literally. If it isn't, then truth is metaphor, and every interpretation is correct.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
That Jesus himself taught via parables is very telling.

I'm Christian and our church as fairly conservative by many modern cultural standards... but I don't know anyone at my church or in my bible study group that takes the bible as 100% literal.

I personally believe the bible is a completely trustworthy source... but our interpretations and understandings are definitely not always so trustworthy.

link   

As far as literal, i give more credibility to prophecy like in Revelations. That book was transcribed near enough as possible because the images were so fantastically mis understood that the "deciders" left them pretty much intact.

After all, neither they or the prophets could possibly imagine the modern world that we take so for granted.

In my minds eye, the "revelations" (to be revealed) are just that, the modern world, here and now.

link   
it is a metaphor that is reality when viewed properly.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's impossible to take the entire bible literally and say that you have any common sense. It's to be interpreted metaphorically .. and allegorically .. and as the mythology and folk lore that parts obviously are. A talking snake? A little boat with 16 million animals in it? That same boat supposedly floating around for a year? Common sense .... a lot isn't literal

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

If the bible is to be taken as truth, it should be taken literally. If it isn't, then truth is metaphor, and every interpretation is correct.

Bull, it is a hodge podge of Stories, Poems (theres a book of poems) and History.

The blanket statement shows a lack of understanding on what the bible even is.

If everything in it is a literal truth, and that's how you measure things, than Any history book that has Idioms in it should be thrown out as its not "true"

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

. . . every word, every story, every parable is literal . . .
There is another type of literalism that some Christians believe in and follow, figurative literalism (my term).
For example, Revelation 9:9b . . . and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle.
(2011 NIV)
where they will say, "that means helicopters!"

That is one little part of a whole chapter full of these unusual descriptions, but that one bit gives them something to latch onto and to be able to create this whole interpretation that it has to be a prophecy about our own time, where we use helicopters in warfare.
There was a certain literary art form back when Revelation was written, where they had to transmit ideas over great distances but didn't have the technology that we have now to do it with, like sending pictures over the internet, so they got good at describing a scene in great detail in words, and this is what is employed to a great extent in Revelation.
edit on 5-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Do Pharisees “You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.” (Matt. 23:24, NIV) swallow camels? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Do you read this and seriously believe that the intention of the writer was to convince the reader that Pharisees 'swallow camels'?
I don't.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
It's impossible to take the entire bible literally and say that you have any common sense. It's to be interpreted metaphorically .. and allegorically .. and as the mythology and folk lore that parts obviously are. A talking snake? A little boat with 16 million animals in it? That same boat supposedly floating around for a year? Common sense .... a lot isn't literal
talking snake... well our brain views only a small portion of light and with god all things are possible. we see what we want to see. people and animals share the same spirit so in certain light the spirrit is a snake and the same spirit in other light is a person. the sphinx's that have been found represent this well. half man half lion. little boat with all those animals. this could be done through the different levels or realms of earth. in this realm i am a certain size but if i go to a realm that resonnates at a higher frequency i would be bigger than i would be here. now if i build a boat at lower frequency then shift it to higher frequenyy then i can have a huge boat that would fit it all.. I believe there are some myths that a certain sailor would shrink his ship and put it in his pocket when in port. life is a matter of perspective and anything is truely possible one must open mind and believe.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

some parts ur supposed to take literally obviously but u can take it anyway u want. the trick imo is to not let other interpret it for u

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
No one takes the bible literally not even the pope. This is easy to prove Leviticus 19:27 says ""'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard". So if the pope were to do as the bible says then he should look like a hippy from the 60's.

uhhm... yes

There are people who take every word of the bible literally... Im dating one...

In fact her entire family and congregation take it literally...

Sigh

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

haha u don't know much about the bible do u? u got to look at the specific book, c who it was written by and to whom. leviticus was a book to the levites (the high priests of that time). the pope isn't a levite
edit on 5-5-2014 by npo902 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I pick and chose what parts of the Bible I adhere to. I particularly like the "Old Testament" part about owning slaves and burning bulls as a sacrifice.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: npo902

haha u don't know much about the bible do u? u got to look at the specific book, c who it was written by and to whom. leviticus was a book to the levites (the high priests of that time). the pope isn't a levite

It still part of the bible. You can't say well this part was written by somebody else so I don't have to follow it just proves that no one takes it literally.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Each book within the bible was written by a different person, in a different time period ... and written for different reasons for different readers. It's entirely possible to take one book as literal history while totally dismissing another book as pure folklore.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join