It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia lawmakers propose limits on personal gifts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
hamptonroads.com...

Lawmakers on Tuesday outlined the details of a bipartisan ethics reform plan meant to address the kinds of lapses they say have marred Virginians' trust in their elected officials.
The agreement between House Democrats and Republicans is the product of roughly six months of work to parse out more than a dozen changes aimed at strengthening Virginia's ethical standards without making public office unduly onerous, said Del. Jennifer McClellan, a Richmond Democrat who worked on the compromise.

Im trying to figure out why they are allowed any gifts at all. I honestly thought that any gift given to a public official was akin to bribery, which is a felony.

In the article it says the lawmakers are presenting this limit to curb the corruption that is inherent in this bribery based system of politics. They say they want to put a $250 cap on gifts but no cap on travel or meal gifts. But why are any gifts allowed?

* Placing a $250 limit on individual gifts to public officials and their immediate family members, excluding meals and travel. The cap, for example, would mean lawmakers could receive a $230 Kindle tablet but not a $400 iPad.

It just sounds to me like they are trying to make it law that they are allowed gifts. If it passes, that limit will surely be raised the next time they get together to vote on things.

House Minority Leader David Toscano, a Charlottesville Democrat, said at a morning news conference. "We Democrats felt that this is one area where we could join together with Republicans and come forward with some proposals that are going to help restore some of the faith that's been lost, frankly, among the public in their elected officials."

Haha. You know if its something they can agree on, then you better keep your eyes on it.

The package also does not address campaign finance laws, which do not limit donations but require them to be disclosed.

i also dont understand how this is how we get whats best for everyone and not just for those who are "bribing" the campaign.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
Im trying to figure out why they are allowed any gifts at all.

Me too..

strengthening Virginia's ethical standards without making public office unduly onerous, said Del. Jennifer McClellan, a Richmond Democrat who worked on the compromise.

"unduly onerous"!!?? WHAT? It's an onerous hardship to not accept bribes????

Screw these people. They are so thoroughly warped that they expect a pat on the back for just limiting how much raw cash can be handed to them payola, ...while restricting free vacations, staying at millionaires homes and never having to pay for a meal etc. is just too much to ask of any lawmaker...

new topics

join