It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New blood 'recharges old brain', mouse study suggests - BBC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Researchers in the US say they might have discovered how to combat and even reverse some processes of ageing, at least in mice.

Injecting the blood of young mice into older rodents boosted their brainpower, a study found.

Scientists at Stanford University plan to carry out trials in people in the hope that new treatments for dementia can be developed....

... In the study, published in Nature Medicine, mice aged 18 months were given injections of the fluid part of blood (plasma) taken from mice aged three months....

... The injected mice performed better on memory tests than mice of the same age that had not been given blood plasma.

"There are factors present in blood from young mice that can recharge an old mouse's brain so that it functions more like a younger one," said Dr Tony Wyss-Coray of Stanford University School of Medicine. ...

... He said it was not known whether the same was true in humans, but a clinical trial was planned.

Alzheimer's Research UK said the treatment rejuvenated certain aspects of learning and memory in mice, but was "of unknown significance to humans"...

... He said it was not known whether the same was true in humans, but a clinical trial was planned.

Alzheimer's Research UK said the treatment rejuvenated certain aspects of learning and memory in mice, but was "of unknown significance to humans"...

www.bbc.co.uk...

A picture of a mouse, earlier today

Well .. I don't want to get overly and un-necesserily excited .. This is a professional forum .. but ..

Waaaay haaaaay .... wheeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeee....... !!!!
I hope that outburst was justified .... Here's hoping people will actually benefit from such a concept some day .. preferably human blood

ETA - just realised .. i don't actually condone animal testing like this .... however, if any human wants to be a guinea pig, and try it out, for their own benefit, and for science, which am surely theres probably plenty .. i would not have a problem with that .. their choice ... the animals we test on don't have a choice ... just saying . not looking to start a debate, so much as let anyone know that is my stance in case it appears by posting this and appreciating the prospects of teh concept, that i actually condone the methods of finding these scientific facts ... there are other ways, and plenty extremely desperate and willing human volunteers, with little to lose and much to gain, i am certain .... If we could only get over the pretend in-humanity of it, and see it for what it is ... always plenty of desperate human volunteers would try anything to get better than face the certainty of their own death
edit on 5-5-2014 by Segenam because: ... I just love to edit ....

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This could explain all the missing plasma that people donate. Maybe a bunch of people are already doing this.

Now, I have known people who donate plasma, I really wouldn't want their plasma. Some are on medicines to control mental diseases, others are using drugs. It seems the people collecting plasma do not care about these medicines and drugs in the plasma. It is all about making sure you still have a job, don't ask questions of the donors that could have negative consequences on the supply that pays your wages.

If the plasma is tainted with medications, I don't think it will be beneficial for this. I'd rather protect my blood cells so they don't need to be replaced. Cut the rate of reproduction of cells down and watch what you eat. AIP Porphyria. The vampire disease.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

in my simplistic views ... if i were to look for a 'younger' source of blood to reverse my ageing ... i wouldnt be surprised if siblings or children would make a better compatible 'donor' ...

as i was writing that .. it seemed to have a creepy vampirish edge to it ... don't sound too natural .. but if we're ill ... i guess its not too unlike donating organs, or requiring an emergency blood transfusion from a family member

ETA - when i say children .. i mean our own .. for blood compatibility ... in that scenario, we would pretty much know its clean of unwanted contaminants .. unless theyve had any dodgy immunisations ...
edit on 5-5-2014 by Segenam because: wheeeeEEEEeeeee......

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I agree. The only people I know who donate plasma are those who are truly down and out, take drugs on a regular bases and looking for a quick dime.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux

I agree. The only people I know who donate plasma are those who are truly down and out, take drugs on a regular bases and looking for a quick dime.

Hmmm. Not here. I know lots of people who donate and they're not at all down and out - at worst, looking for a paid afternoon off once every 3 months. ...But this is Canada - no one is paid for donating blood.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Segenam

Aye, bring me the blood of young children. I can see this going wrong pretty fast, or at least a new plaything (medical treatments) for the older rich to research and take up. I can also see (from my porch) Dick Cheney's private physician crew camped outside a kindergarten now, setting up shop.

edit on 5-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Here, they get between thirty and fifty bucks for a pint of plasma. They don't pay for blood donations at all though, except sometimes they give you a discount card for Big Boy or some restaurant that donates them.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
My understanding is that this is young to old, and probably the younger the better. This gives me the hebe jebes. However if this were simple and did not put the young ones at risk, I would love the opportunity to revitalize my immune system. The implications of this being misused and children being snatched for their blood is very disturbing.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Yes..but will it work on my willy..?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Aye, bring me the blood of young children. I can see this going wrong pretty fast, or at least a new plaything (medical treatments) for the older rich to research and take up. I can also see (from my porch) Dick Cheney's private physician crew camped outside a kindergarten now, setting up shop.

When I heard of this your comment was actually one of the first things that came to my mind!

I see a surge in "Amber Alerts" young grasshopper......

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Interesting .
Some Chinese love to eat human fetus and human babies ,they claim it's nourishing.

Sadly ,there's no research of the health benefit for human eating human fetus and human babies.

originally posted by: Aleister

Really ?
Why don't use babies from human trafficking?Harder to tracking,some chinese use them to DIY human flesh capsules.
But they don't think eat adult is nourishing.
edit on 5-5-2014 by candlestick because: (no reason given)

top topics

join