It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia proposal would limit size of gatherings at private homes...more rights at stake...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: smithjustinb

It's not really about noise though. It's a public nuisance when one of your neighbors regularly takes up all the parking on your block.

Have you even bothered considering the other side of the argument or do you just default to 'tyranny'?

As long as they aren't in your own drive way or blocking your drive way, what's the problem? If they are in your driveway, call a tow truck.

To answer your question, I haven't always been a conservative. But, I grew up and realized how futile and ignorant the other options were. I learned the value of freedom. Freedom is worth fighting for. I consider each side of an argument before I make a comment. If I think freedom is being restricted and the population is being controlled, I speak out against it because that's not what America was founded upon.

Freedom is the greatest thing an individual can have, and its liberals like the legislators in Virginia that are single-handedly ruining our quality of life and the freedom many of us who are awake value so highly. For those who understand the value of freedom, its things like this that make us puke in our mouths. Yeah I considered the other side. Its more of the same crap. One small legislation after another, your rights are being revoked, and you willingly support the herding. Disgraceful.
edit on 5-5-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hey Links,

It's not really about noise though. It's a public nuisance when one of your neighbors regularly takes up all the parking on your block.

Have you even bothered considering the other side of the argument or do you just default to 'tyranny'?

Granted, its an annoyance and you do genuinely have my sympathies. But consider this, we separate young men from their families, we send them over seas to fight and potentially die under the color of protecting our liberty and way of life . . . including the right to assemble. (Yes I know some of you will disagree with that being the reason we send them, none the less, I do believe that is a major reason that many of them choose to go).

Given that, is it too much to ask of you and I, as citizens, to find some way to manage the problem short of circumventing/undermining that same way of life and liberties? Shouldn't we do our part to protect that way of life and those liberties? Personally, I don't believe doing our part includes undermining the right to assemble in exchange for a parking place or to make it easier to shut down a loud party
edit on 5-5-2014 by imwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe
Who are the clowns that sat around a table or at an assembly meeting and first mentioned this proposal, they need to be outed and they need to be boycotted at their home by as many as possible hopefully with a license to protest, actually they need to get enough people where they are able to do shifts, block their drive and whatever else is necessary, you know back in the military your punishment was usually related to what got you in trouble.

The walls are closing in, slowly but surely that beast called government has nothing better to do with their time than to bother people on their last frontier, the only problem that I see that might be the issue, is that most communities have controls on them and right to peaceful enjoyment clauses and all kinds of ordinances already , so if your party is next door to someone that takes offensive or for instance might be ill etc, they can call the police on you and we all know if you have a large party or gathering when the police show up it is over.

Just a small FYI, I served on a board of directors for my locality in Virginia for at least 4 years and I know that this law is ridiculous, but I have seen things tabled that are absolutely petty and it could be that only one member had an issue and decided to bring to the table and helped it to grow legs and the next thing, is a resolution is being passed.

But anyhow this is dumb, I'd like to know what percentage of people meet this quota and how often it occurs, what a waste of time.

edit on 6-5-2014 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
OP, we have this in Bloomsburg, PA. That is mainly for college kids and parties, I doubt they would actually show up to a kids bday party and bust it. It is all about limiting terrorism, and drinking/drug abuse for this law I suspect. At least I hope. Still a pretty dumb law.

Who wants to know a really funny law enforced in my small town. Numidia, PA. We had a bar, was being sold, a strip club guy was looking to buy it, they made a law..... get this.........
IT IS ILLEGAL TO HAVE AN ERECTION IN PUBLIC. Look it up. I really want to walk down the street with a hard on and see if a cop stops me. Seriously, dumb law. The gathering law, makes some sense, but is still pretty dumb. What does that mean for bars, and business? What does that mean for any kind of party on holidays? THAT BIG BRO WANTS YOUR MONEY AND NAME IN THE PAPER!

Peace!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
correct me if i am wrong here but Iceland managed to drive away the central bank from their country and it had something to do with the fact that they are a relatively small populace whom still get together with varied social events allowing the people to communicate freely,so they are not all sitting at home in front of their big screens and actually talking face to face...

is this what they want ? only allowing a limited to face to face communication ?

if they pass this soon that number 49 will be progressively reduced....

what a load of dribble...how and why we let these people remain in power is beyond me

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: smithjustinb

As long as they aren't in your own drive way or blocking your drive way, what's the problem? If they are in your driveway, call a tow truck.

To answer your question, I haven't always been a conservative. But, I grew up and realized how futile and ignorant the other options were. I learned the value of freedom. Freedom is worth fighting for. I consider each side of an argument before I make a comment. If I think freedom is being restricted and the population is being controlled, I speak out against it because that's not what America was founded upon.

Freedom is the greatest thing an individual can have, and its liberals like the legislators in Virginia that are single-handedly ruining our quality of life and the freedom many of us who are awake value so highly. For those who understand the value of freedom, its things like this that make us puke in our mouths. Yeah I considered the other side. Its more of the same crap. One small legislation after another, your rights are being revoked, and you willingly support the herding. Disgraceful.

May be unrelated, but I hydroplaned in a downpour where I couldn't see past my windshield, and knucked a curb, and was disabled. NO TOWING AGENCY WOULD HELP ME BECAUSE IT WAS 11:30pm. A cop showed up.... "Yea just wait here someone will be along to help you." ok hours later the next cop on duty shows up. Still no towing agency, and btw, around Harrisburg! a city, and state capitol, could come help me. Then the next cop calls, and a towing service who declined me the past few hours is there in 5min. They were a crossed the street up the road a mile....... F towing peoples cars! City folk are ignorant. If you aren't leaving you house and you are parked in, who cares. If you get up for a shower the next day, then call them, or ask them to move. Around here in PA, we just ask them "hey this car was at your house party, just move it."

This number of people at a gathering thing is still beyond me. If you can't meet face to face then might as well be on facebook so they can see everything you say. OH WAIT!? is that why they don't want us gathering? Because WE might drink, or smoke? Like I said, it is for control and $$$ to the pigs.
edit on 5/6/14 by SixX18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Being the tin hat that I am, currently residing in VA. Did anyone notice that Fairfax is about 15 miles or so from DC? If I was going to reduce/eliminate protest in DC I might want to start at the furthest outskirts and work my way in. Kind of put your toe in the water thing and look for the depth of the backlash. Of course with the traffic in and around DC a root canal would be preferable to assembling.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
49 people seems like a lot

I wouldnt be happy if my neighbours had 49 people coming over daily, even weekly.

I live in a residential zone, not a commercial zone.

If a valid personal reason can be established for such a gathering then thats fine, but over 49 people regularly, that sounds commercial.

Maybe the regulations should give valid reasonsn as to purpose

It's really not a lot. Take me for instance. I live near Fairfax in Maryland. I have a 4.6 acre lot with my house sitting directly in the middle and it's surrounded completely by trees. I have over a 100 yard driveway that leads to my house. This past Sat, May 3rd, I had a cookout and fight party for the Floyd Mayweather event. Over 70 people showed up. My nearest neighbors could see cars in the driveway and grass, but couldn't hear anything! According to this legislation, I would be fined or even locked up just because a police drove by and saw all the cars, people standing outside eating BBQ, and the projector screen in front of the house! That's ridiculous!!!

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

Being the tin hat that I am, currently residing in VA. Did anyone notice that Fairfax is about 15 miles or so from DC? If I was going to reduce/eliminate protest in DC I might want to start at the furthest outskirts and work my way in. Kind of put your toe in the water thing and look for the depth of the backlash. Of course with the traffic in and around DC a root canal would be preferable to assembling.

Exactly! I live near this area... I'm already sick of the speed cameras on highways, and all of the other BS that DC laws have drawn into Maryland! I'm still suprised the Northern VA hasn't caught on to the speed cameras and started implementing them. If VA does this, I'll bet DC and Maryland follow suit!!!
edit on 6-5-2014 by SilentKillah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SilentKillah

Being from the area as well I think your both right on most parts DC and MD will follow soon if this does pass and it should be noted a lot of protest gatherings start off in VA near the DC area and not in DC. VA I guess just has more areas for people to gather up.

What upsets me about this beside the problems listed by other. I have a very large family in the area. We have birthdays for kids and the whole family shows up. We don't bother the people around us with our gatherings, but there are month where we have more than one birthday in the month, so now I could end up in some kind of violation for going to a family gathering.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This should not get passed. They are probaly trying this one on to see the reaction. As much noice as possible should be made about this as it is rediculous legislation. There are many other ways of tackling the problem associated with large gatherings at private residential addresses such as noise laws, public disturbance laws and even laws reguarding vehicles that are parked across driveways etc There are also lots of zoning laws that do not allow things such as rusty cars in the front yard or bonfires on properties etc.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I don't want frequent large gatherings next door to me either. My neighborhood is usually quiet and peaceful, and I want it to stay that way. There are public places where one could have large gatherings - like parks and beaches. You could also rent facilities, like a community club house, or even use a church for your gathering. Those are all public places, and I believe this law only affects gatherings in homes/residential neighborhoods. So, you are not prevented from gathering -- you are just prevented from gathering in a home/neighborhood.

Having said that, I agree that we already have laws that pretty much deal with this. If some guy living on my street has a large party every weekend, with cars parked all along the street, and lots of noise -- I call the cops and they get him for disturbing the peace. If you have your large gathering with no cars and no noise, then I don't think anyone would notice or care. So just have a "stealth gathering" and you're fine!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I don't want frequent large gatherings next door to me either. My neighborhood is usually quiet and peaceful, and I want it to stay that way. There are public places where one could have large gatherings - like parks and beaches. You could also rent facilities, like a community club house, or even use a church for your gathering. Those are all public places, and I believe this law only affects gatherings in homes/residential neighborhoods. So, you are not prevented from gathering -- you are just prevented from gathering in a home/neighborhood.

Having said that, I agree that we already have laws that pretty much deal with this. If some guy living on my street has a large party every weekend, with cars parked all along the street, and lots of noise -- I call the cops and they get him for disturbing the peace. If you have your large gathering with no cars and no noise, then I don't think anyone would notice or care. So just have a "stealth gathering" and you're fine!

You could also purchase a home with substantial acreage if you don't like your neighbors having parties.

And if you live on a public street and you don't want cars parked there, you are SOL. Call the cops and tell them to tow a legally parked car from a public street.... they will laugh at you.
edit on bu312014-05-06T06:32:59-05:0006America/ChicagoTue, 06 May 2014 06:32:59 -05006u14 by butcherguy because: to add.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

You can't park 50 cars legally on my narrow street. You would have to park on both sides of the street to fit them in, and that would block the street for drivers.

Maybe the person wanting to have frequent large gatherings should be the one who has to purchase a large piece of land in the country so they don't disturb anyone else?

I don't mind an occasional party. Hell, we have block parties a couple times a year in my neighborhood. It would be the every single weekend thing that would be a problem. Your rights stop when they infringe on mine (the right to live in my home without constant disruptions of noise and blocking of the street).
edit on 6-5-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Your rights stop when they infringe on mine (the right to live in my home without constant disruptions of noise and blocking of the street).

I didn't say that they should be allowed to block the street.
We have already covered the fact that there are laws against disturbing the peace.
The proposed law is not about disturbing the peace. The proposed law isn't about parking on a public street. The proposed law is about limiting the Constitutional right to assemble.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

No, I don't believe that's true. It's about not assembling in large masses in a private home/neighborhood. It doesn't say anything about large assemblies in other areas that can more easily accommodate.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There are already means to limit gatherings in public areas. You must get permits to assemble when having a demonstration or parade in public places.

This is about limiting the right to assemble on your own property.

If you have no right to assemble people on your own property, what right do you have to assemble?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
There are already means to limit gatherings in public areas. You must get permits to assemble when having a demonstration or parade in public places.

This is about limiting the right to assemble on your own property.

If you have no right to assemble people on your own property, what right do you have to assemble?

But you DO have rights to assemble people on your own property under this law. Just not more than 49 people, and not more than 3 times in a 40 day period. There are limits to everything. You can own a gun, but you are limited to how you can use it. You can't just shoot anyone anytime you want, can you?

I imagine this law will only be enforced when people start getting large,frequent, rowdy crowds in their neighborhood, and the neighbors don't like it. This gives those neighbors some additional recourse for calling the cops on you. If it's a quiet, peaceful assembly, I don't imagine anyone would turn you in.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I did say that this law would limit rights.

Just not more than 49 people, and not more than 3 times in a 40 day period.

These are limits.

Slippery slope here.

There are limits to everything. You can own a gun, but you are limited to how you can use it. You can't just shoot anyone anytime you want, can you?

You are correct... we can't just shoot anyone, anytime we want. Do you know why? Because there is no rights granted by the Constitution to commit murder.
It is against the law to commit murder, because you are depriving another of the right to live. There is already a law for that.
edit on bu312014-05-06T09:16:17-05:0009America/ChicagoTue, 06 May 2014 09:16:17 -05009u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I did say that this law would limit rights.

Just not more than 49 people, and not more than 3 times in a 40 day period.

These are limits.

Slippery slope here.

Yes, you don't have the right to kill anyone you want whenever you want, but you DO have the right to kill someone who is trying to kill you. You have rights, but they are limited. When your rights start to infringe on my rights, then your rights must be limited (and vice versa). You have the right to assemble, but you don't have the right to disrupt my peaceful and quiet living arrangements. Everyone has the right to a peaceful and quiet home life. You want a loud assembly? Go to a park, don't do it next door to my home.

Yes, the constitution says you have the right to assemble, but it doesn't say you have that right anywhere, any time, no matter what.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
To quote Ronald Reagan, "there you go again".

You want a loud assembly?

You are talking about disturbing the peace... already a law in place to address that.

This law would make it illegal for me to have 50 silent people in my yard for an hour on a Saturday if I did it again inside of the time period stated. Even if they walked to my house. Are you against silent, walking people too?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join