It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if the universe followed no mathematical order?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Nothing could be measured, quantified, or compared? What would existence be like?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Ok,

It would be exactly as we perceive it presently. Unless of course what we perceive is a false perception.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It would blow your mind's a$$.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: depleteduranium92

Well, actually I very much doubt that consciousness would have come about, nor indeed DNA, or any other complex interaction between compounds, elements, or even the most basic and tiny elementary particles.

Everything from the deep structure of the universe, to the complicated interactions between molecules which allow a human life to come about, everything is founded in this universe, on mathematical principles. Without these interactions nothing would exist at all. Without the order, all would be raw chaos. The balance between matter and anti matter in the first moments of the universe, the way that everything has come together up until this point, is predicated upon deep mathematical constructs which we are only now identifying the outer edges of.

Without them the big bang would have created a cloud of matter and energy which never would have amounted to anything at all.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

I don't think it can be measured or quantified, those are just concepts we created to make sense of the universe.

Tho i have no doubt the universe follows a set pattern, that is very evident.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Isn't the universe chaotic? Can chaos be measured accurately?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Isn't the universe chaotic? Can chaos be measured accurately?

I agree with this. I always thought as the universe as chaos that sort of just, figured it's way out within' the 'space' it was thrown into. The laws and mathematics we came up with are just ways we perceive the universe, it's how we understand it. It's like if you are in space, and you see the earth with the south pole on the top and the north on the bottom, it's all how you perceive to be relative at the time, but you know when you get back on earth north will be 'up' and south will be 'down'. Mathematics, tho, is pretty simple concept, a measurement of singular 'things' multiplied or divided, or subtracted, or added, what have you.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: depleteduranium92
Nothing could be measured, quantified, or compared? What would existence be like?
What you are talking about is a plain with no forces being applied to it. In that case there woul be nothing to measure because matter would not have been created. If there is nothing to measure then there would not even be electrons or quarks. Therefore there would be nothing.

The universe we know is not chaotic. It follows a very precise pattern. There are four forces that apply to our universe. All matter was created by the effects of these forces. Nothing contradicts these forces.

Gravity
Electromagnetism
Weak nuclear force
Strong nuclear force.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight
Right - I'd define chaos as the lack of all the qualities mentioned in the OP.

There are certain aspects of our existence that we just are incapable of comprehending whatsoever. Actually that applies to existence as a whole... anyway, I know my life greatly improved when I stopped contemplating those imponderable mysteries of life and started thinking like: "well, I know I'm here, right now; how can I live a wholesome life and enrich the lives of those around me" - rather than asking "why am I here" and "am I really here".

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
If the universe had no mathematical order then everything in existence would be in a constant state of chaos. There would be no balance, no conformity.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Not wanting to sound too parochial here; without mathematical order 'existence' shouldn't exist at all.

On the other hand, there's a notion of Goldilocks and anthropic principles at play in our own universe that suggests we've evolved in accordance to the built-in mathematical order. If that's the case, there could be other universes with mathematical orders that wouldn't allow us to comprehend or even physically interact with. By extension, should those hypothetical universes exist and contain denizens, they'd be unable to comprehend our small slice of the multiverse pie.

All fun to speculate about and similar to counting angels dancing on the head of Stephen Hawking.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It seems to be guesswork when it comes to quantum mechanics.

www.princeton.edu...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

...although the math predicted the Higgs-Boson in the 1960s and it was there when we looked for it. Einstein's numbers in the General Theory of relativity predicted an expanding universe and he ignored it. It's 'spooky,' but the numbers seem to have all the answers.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I think that would be imposible, simple because mankind did not invent mathematics, we studied the natural cicles, and find out patterns, and we called that mathematics.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The universe follows no mathematical orders. Mathematical orders follow the universe.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Math?, Consciousness?, was it ever considered that these things we use to quantify everything are a result of nothing more than curiosity?.

We spend so much of our lives learning things that others gained through simply being curious, learning about what they supposedly learned isn't knowledge but simply thought control or indoctrination.

Consider a time when we needed only to quantify the seasons to prepare for them through astronomy in it's simpler forms.

What season are we preparing for now?, we think we no longer need to prepare for the seasons, the season of un-preparedness approaches.

Prepare.

The people who claim to be our rulers have always tried to maintain a monopoly on this kind of information to maintain control of their subjects.

What if everything is nothing, and nothing is everything?, nothing is infinite potential to become something and everything keeps going regardless of how we measure the time that passes, our measurement of time is another form of indoctrination in and of itself.

Meaninglessness has infinite potential to become Meaningfulness.
edit on 5-5-2014 by MyHappyDogShiner because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There would be nothing except rudimentary elements and particles drifting haphazardly through space. Lack of mathematical order would result in pure chaos and incoherence. Matter wouldn't remain stable long enough to do much except make a bigger bang when it falls apart or impacts with other matter.
edit on 5-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: depleteduranium92

The Courts of Chaos. Or maybe Arthur's Logres.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

...although the math predicted the Higgs-Boson in the 1960s and it was there when we looked for it. Einstein's numbers in the General Theory of relativity predicted an expanding universe and he ignored it. It's 'spooky,' but the numbers seem to have all the answers.

That's because numbers always follow the most logical course of behavior, even if we have trouble discerning the pattern describing such logic. Of course, given that our species has spent centuries refining the art of ignoring logic in favor of more "rewarding" approaches, it's understandable why we might have trouble in that area.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

Your comment had me cracking up.

edit on 5-5-2014 by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join