It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi Desertion Rate 50%, Rumsfeld's dreams shattered to pieces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
November 26, 2004 - Unfortunately for DoD planners, ''Iraqification'' isn't working. The US has made ''essentially no progress in increasing the number of Iraqi forces during the year 2004'', according to GlobalSecurity.org. While there were 210,000 Iraqi forces of various agencies on hand in January 2004, the total fell to 180,000 by October. These numbers simply refer to troops who are registered, most are not trained at all. The report's most startling finding is that the number of police has plummeted from 84,000 to 43,000 in the past eight months. The two main branches of the Iraqi military don't fare much better, with only 12,000 army enlisted so far, 41,000 national guard have now been recruited.

Most importantly, the US and the interim Iraqi government have so far failed to create an ethnically diverse Iraqi military, or instill it with anything resembling an esprit de corps. The poorly trained forces have been plagued by desertions and have generally failed to perform. It is also widely believed the Iraqi forces are heavily penetrated by insurgent spies.

www.uruknet.info...

I don't want to hear ever again that the iraqi people support the USA.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Is this the same site in which 15 F-16's were shot down in Falujah?

Or the 130 American captured?

or the US used Chemical Weapons to kill Iraqi civilians?

or......ah nevermind.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

or......ah nevermind.

no, i think you are talking about jihadunspun, which claimed that the Fallujah insurgents repeatedly rejected ceasefire proposals by the whimpish US Marines, which was true.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger

or......ah nevermind.
Fallujah

Was this before or after the entire Marine corp was wiped out in Fallujah? Or were they starved into surrendering?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Yes, US is having trouble with the Iraqi troops in Iraq, and also it has been blame for the safety of those troops.

TextPrime Minister Allawi Tuesday blamed U-S led forces in Iraq for failing to provide the security needed to protect the newly trained Iraqi soldiers. Nearly 50 unarmed Iraqi national guardsmen were headed for home leave when they were killed execution style Saturday in a remote region near the Iranian border

www.washingtonpost.com...

This is not a problem now is a problem that has been going on in Iraq.

Text
[/quWASHINGTON (AP) Plans to deploy the first battalion of Iraq's new army are in doubt because a third of the soldiers trained by the U.S.-led occupation authority have quit, defense officials said Wednesday.

Touted as a key to Iraq's future, the 700-man battalion lost some 250 men over recent weeks as they were preparing to begin operations this month, Pentagon officials said.

''We are aware that a third ... has apparently resigned and we are looking into that in order to ensure that we can recruit and retain high-quality people for a new Iraqi army,'' said Lt. Col. James Cassella, a Pentagon spokesman.

Also US troops has complain before of "Iraqi insurgents" that has been trained as Iraqi military attacking them later on.

www.informationclearinghouse.info...

Yes, US is having problems with the new Iraqi military in Iraq.

[edit on 28-11-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Here's an interesting turn of events. If the proposal is "trustworthy" and actual, it may be quite appealing and influencial. I have feelings that this may be rejected, but the possibility of such aid may or certainly should be considered if deemed credible:
Iran Offers to Train Iraqi Police and Border Guards

seekerof

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I've heard and read a number of reports that talked about Iraqi soldiers deserting (supposedly by the time they entered Fallujah, there were only a few hundred left):

abcnews.go.com...

mathaba.net...://mathaba.net/0_index.shtml?x=81931

US reports say that only "one unit" deserted... without specifying how big the unit was: washingtontimes.com...

Regardless, these troops AND the Iraqi police units are being targeted by the resistance groups.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Here's an interesting turn of events. If the proposal is "trustworthy" and actual, it may be quite appealing and influencial. I have feelings that this may be rejected, but the possibility of such aid may or certainly should be considered if deemed credible:seekerof

That would be interesting but would that make them be supporting both sides of the conflict?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Here's an interesting turn of events. If the proposal is "trustworthy" and actual, it may be quite appealing and influencial. I have feelings that this may be rejected, but the possibility of such aid may or certainly should be considered if deemed credible:

seekerof

Actually I read about the Iran and Syria offering help to train, perhaps the reason of this is that Iraqi exiles are living in Iran and Syria since the invasion, I read somewhere that about 80 thousand Iraqis are living in exile since the invasion, I may be wrong.

And I remember also a thread on the Iraqi deserters in fallujah perhaps some of these Iraqi troops but I have not heard anything about the reasons. It said in one of Byrd links that they received threats against their families.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Posted by Marge
Also US troops has complain before of "Iraqi insurgents" that has been trained as Iraqi military attacking them later on.

Well I must say that it would be extremely ironic if it were discovered that America was actually training the enemy it is trying to destroy.

It would make perfect sense, though. What better way to learn how to fight than by joining up and getting free training.

top topics

join