It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you want to survive nuclear war?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I have honestly done some thinking about this due to recent events. Here is my question. Lets say there has been a moderate nuclear exchange between the US and Russia. Though you have managed to survive, all our major cities are gone. The government for all intents and purposes has ceased to exist. Communications and infrastructure are non existent. Food is scarce, and radiation contaminates most of the country. There are few survivors except for roving bands of lawless gangs who will do their worst if they find you. There are a few areas that are untouched but they are very far away and you would have to traverse a very dangerous hostile wasteland to get to them. Most of the world is in the same shape. Would you want to live in such a world? What would your reasoning be?
edit on 4-5-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
No, I wouldn't want to survive such an attack. That life would be hell.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I guess I'll take first shot in the gallery...

Yes. I would. My reasoning?

First, I live in an area I'm fairly certain has no first strike or even follow-on priorities for getting nuked or slimed. I'm too far from a metro area, nothing of real military interest sits around here that I'm aware of (at that level anyway) and I sit above a warren of interconnecting caverns that run for hunreds of miles in all directions and running through or around each other. Life could be worse.....

Really though, I know what you're asking and I've thought about it too... We'd have ZERO hope of any good living in our lifetime. The next generation would likely be wasted to survival and a slow return to something like civilization as well. However...We'd be *THAT* close to checking out forever. If fate granted me the gift of life where billions hadn't gotten it? Who am I to choose to be among the last to give humanity it's coup de gras shot to the head?

I'd want to live and I'd fight to get whatever working that the years and my ability to gather other survivors could muster. The alternative..especially for someone like me, who takes reincarnation as a simple part of the life cycle, is not just getting some credit for helping see it all end...but very likely, having to live the aftermath of my own omission of action.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Lets say there has been a moderate nuclear exchange between the US and Russia.

There really is no such thing as a "limited exchange" but its a scenario so I roll with it. The people of Hiroshima that survived… survived. They didn't have much choice. If I survive its because I am supposed to. Would I want to? Not more than wanting to survive a car wreck.

Thing is you don't know you're going to live thru it till you do. Then you're happy you did.

I know, I had a doozy wreck once.It occurs suddenly and you hope it doesn't hurt too much. When all the noise and tumbling stop, you are glad to be alive.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Yes. For me, for most questions that begin "would you want to survive," the answer is almost certainly, "Yes."

My wife and I were watching The Road a while back and when Charlize Theron's character was going on about wanting to die:

Wife: Like what? Hmmm? I don't even know why I ask you. I should just go ahead and empty every goddamn bullet into my brain and leave you with nothing. That's what I should do.
The Man: Please don't talk like that.
[both turn and look at the boy who's playing in the next room]
Wife: You're right. There's nothing left to talk about. My heart was ripped out of me the night he was born.
The Man: We have to. We will survive this. We are not gonna quit. We're not gonna quit.
Wife: I don't want to just survive. Don't you get it? I don't wanna. Why won't you let me take him with me?

I said something like, "Wow, what an f'ing b#."

Anyway that kicked off a conversation about survival in a post-apocalyptic world and my position was even if things didn't improve drastically in my own lifetime, we owed it to future generations to do what we could the same as those who came before us had done.
edit on 2014-5-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No, but I already didn't want to live in this world already.

Caveat.

If I had kids I would survive as long as possible. Every extra day I could wake up and still see their faces...

Might not be long until I have a real reason to survive.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

There are few survivors except for roving bands of lawless gangs who will do their worst if they find you. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

That may be true in some cases but I would think "safety in numbers" would also come to be recognized so some groups would join together and utilize the individual expertise of the members. Lone Wolf stuff works in fantasy land but in reality you have to sleep sometime.

I always figured I wanted to live when I was younger and once upon a time I flew with a crusty, smart old Captain who said he wanted to be at ground zero when the first one went off! He flew B-57s and did the radiation collecting after the above ground nuclear blast by flying through the dust and radio active clouds.. He was Spanish and one funny dude who always said they (the Air Force) had it in for him even back then ! .....Rudy lived into his 70s...

So if I am lucky to make it through the initial chaos I will do what I have to do for me and mine or just put a bullet in my head and be done with it if I decide I can't cut it because of radiation poisoning or starvation. Pretty cut and dried for me// In the states if I can get an aircraft started then I could go anyplace within fuel range. Overseas I hope we are bi-standers if America starts trading nukes with someone..? At least there we have water and food until it became poisoned by fallout or something else.... So I suppose I will just play it by ear ( old musical saying).

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
No, I've been around since we had "air raid" drills in elementary school (during the Cuban missile crisis) and always said I'd prefer to be at ground zero of the first one. To not even know what hit me would be best.

To live after something like that would be unspeakable horror every minute... no thanks!

edit on 4-5-2014 by NickK3 because: grammar...

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I would love to be alive after, just to help people and help restructure society. I think it would be a great time to be alive. Even if society is going to have to start over from the caveman level, giving the next generation lessons on horse breaking and how to make bows and crossbows would be a life's achievement right there.

The thought of having my kids live through, to take my genetics down through the ages, as apposed to being rudely wiped out would also be great.

P

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Don't really care either way, there are plus and minus to both options. All I would hope if it was the "no"answer that the strike was right on top of my location.

In the end it makes little difference anyway, what's a few decades more?? Not much really and when the billions of humans on this planet are gone it will be like they never were. The Earth won't even miss a beat.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sure, I would like to survive. It would be almost as awesome as seeing a big asteroid coming at you. It would be a once in a lifetime experience. Now to pass up something like that just to die? Never.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Hells no! We would literally be living life in hell. It would be nothing but pure agony.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

No I would not. I work in the field of procuring/processing/freezing stem cells for cancer patients. Most of our business is based on blood cancers. And when there are radioactive nucliea floating around they will imbed in your thyroid or your bone marrow. This where all the blood cancers start.
After a nuclear exchange, I doubt we will have the infrastructure to replicate stem cell mediated therapies for cancers.

Kratos.....

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Yes
We rebuild, we breed, we salvage as much knowledge as possible.

That's what we as humans do when tshtf. Anything less is a insult to our ancestors whom had to deal with ice ages, plagues, wars, etc...Why would we give up just because things get rough for awhile....we aren't that weak.

So yep..band together with the locals, bring law and order, and reclaim through time what we once had with perhaps a bit of knowledge and wisdom gained from the terrors we unleashed upon ourselves...our childrens children may succeed where we failed.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

I've played enough Fallout to want to, just in case it turns out dangerously exciting.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: GoldenObserver
All we have to do is wait till the patch comes out to leave the bunker lol.In all honesty though,fewer people means fewer stupid people.I'm all for that.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

On the contrary, it would be fun.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Perhaps surprisingly, we're all survivors of nuclear armageddon already.

2,474 nuclear warheads have been detonated, yet, here we are.

edit on 05America/Chicago31pm2014-05-04T23:58:02-05:00201405America/Chicago31 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: duutduut

Dysentery and disease will finish off what the blast and fallout started. No infrastructure....no sanitation, no refrigeration, no food distribution, no communications,

No containment for all the stored bio hazards,

and all the survivalist think this will be like a big camping trip.

The living will envy the dead!!!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
I have honestly done some thinking about this due to recent events. Here is my question. Lets say there has been a moderate nuclear exchange between the US and Russia. Though you have managed to survive, all our major cities are gone. The government for all intents and purposes has ceased to exist. Communications and infrastructure are non existent. Food is scarce, and radiation contaminates most of the country. There are few survivors except for roving bands of lawless gangs who will do their worst if they find you. There are a few areas that are untouched but they are very far away and you would have to traverse a very dangerous hostile wasteland to get to them. Most of the world is in the same shape. Would you want to live in such a world? What would your reasoning be?

only if it gave me super powers or i was tina turner.

edit on 31552251231am2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join