It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today's America: Working Your Way Through College Is a Myth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Why can't young graduated get a job?

Because old people are still working.

Why are old people working? because the economy is so bad they can;t afford to retire.

Tho graduating for college doe snot guarantee a job, but if u get into the field and get some experience, the college education will get you moving up the ladder fast, if not your stuck in that low position forever.
edit on 5/5/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The lack of compassion some have for her is disappointing. Plus, I bet there would be scorn and derision from the same people if she ended up pregnant and on welfare.

She's trying hard but she's operating in a rigged system. It takes money to make money.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Cabin
Not sure about this story...if true, kudos to her for trying.

I worked at least 2 part-time jobs my entire college career and at one point worked 4 while carrying a full course load. It sucked butt and I still don't know how I managed to pull it off but, I did.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The military will feed them, teach them, and even pay for school..

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
The lack of compassion some have for her is disappointing. Plus, I bet there would be scorn and derision from the same people if she ended up pregnant and on welfare.

She's trying hard but she's operating in a rigged system. It takes money to make money.

No lack of compassion here. She was set up to fail by a poor system. Going to school is something I have a lot of experience with though as I have 4 degrees. She chose to goto a school that only gave her a partial scholarship in an area with a high cost of living.

If she could get that scholarship to George Washington University I promise you she could have gotten something just as good elsewhere. Small colleges are the way to go, they have lower tuition and if you research them typically have a good program or two, so it's just a matter of finding a good one.

Part of the lie of college is that they try and sell you on the promise of the least affordable schools. That she doesn't have loans is commendable, but she's still doing it wrong, she simply wasn't taught a better way to do it. The big schools are only for the wealthy, and it's set up that way so they all network with other wealthy people.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Yeah, I agree there is an overemphasis on college. In many cases, college is the road to little more than refined indenturetude. We need a lot of STEM students and research, this is true. However, we need manual labor too.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Yeah, I agree there is an overemphasis on college. In many cases, college is the road to little more than refined indenturetude. We need a lot of STEM students and research, this is true. However, we need manual labor too.

We do. STEM is important but there are a lot of important non STEM majors as well. Overall I agree with the idea that anyone should be able to goto college, but I disagree with the idea that everyone should goto college. The world needs garbage collectors, plumbers, construction workers, and everything else. College shouldn't be about getting a job that lets you make a decent income, but rather about getting a job that lets you do what you want to do and a decent living should be available to everyone regardless of education. Some jobs will pay above others obviously but even the low paying jobs should offer a decent life (unless we suddenly no longer need them) and they currently don't.

College as it's currently designed is set up to trap people in a debt spiral that essentially turns them into slaves. It doesn't have to be that way and it hasn't been this way for all that long really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join