It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Cigarettes and the FDA conspiracy to stop them.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

If they are 18+ and ecigs are 99% safer than smoking, please explain the harm or why it matters to you.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Both myself and my fiancee quite smoking using e-cigs. Neither have had a regular cig in over two years after previously going through a pack a day combined. We feel better, breath better, sleep better, having clearer skin, better hair, healthier nails, better endurance when exercising, clothes no longer smell, lower health premiums, etc. The benefits have been numerous.

The government and tobacco companies are just pissed off they weren't the ones to invent the e cig and by extension, a solution for getting off cigs. It's not the actual solution which bothers them, it's that they aren't getting compensated for the solution and are losing money. It's strictly about the money.

A positive for us vapors, and I've talked to shop owners about this, is that even if they're taxed to high heaven and need to shut down their shops, the internet allows vaping to continue. The problem the government will run into, much like synthetic drugs, is they might think they can tax a certain flavor or ban a certain drug, but it's incredibly easy to make your own liquid and alter the flavor just slightly, basically endlessly creating new flavors which don't fall under the government's criteria, just as a chemist can easily tweak a synthetic drug so it no longer falls under certain classifications. You can also continue mixing your own, buying the ingredients and doing it yourself. It's not a flavor until it's mixed and until it's mixed, it has no classification.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
The problem with these things is that kids are using them instead of taking up smoking, because it is fashionable. I think for as many people who use them to quit smoking, twice as many will start because of these. Call me old-fashioned, but there should be age restrictions and taxes imposed to discourage their use.

If these weren't around the kids would smoke. Still less harm with these. And no one starts smoking if they vape. That's utter nonsense. It's not a "gateway" anything. There are age restrictions. And there are taxes, just like with any other product you buy.

The real issue here is that Big Pharma, Big Medicine, and Big Tobacco missed the boat and now they're being greedy.

Oh, and you're not old-fashioned, you're just ignorant on the subject. There's some good information here on the whole issue (hope it's allowed to post a link).

edit on 5/7/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
The problem with these things is that kids are using them instead of taking up smoking, because it is fashionable. .

How is that a problem if it were true, which is debatable?

It's better in your mind for kids to continue taking up actual smoking than a far healthier habit? Please enlighten me as to where the logic is in that.

Do people not realize young people have been doing dumb things since the beginning of time? Experimenting, making mistakes, making your own decisions and learning from them is a part of life. This whole, protect the kids argument is getting to be asinine. Kids have grown up into mature adults for thousands of years without all this ridiculous legislation to protect them. Hell, multiple presidents have talked about their experimentation with actual drugs earlier in their lives, and we're sitting here talking about e cigs. We need to get away from this attitude of protecting kids from anything and everything and realize life is about experience and personal growth, learning from mistakes.

That's not even to mention that at 17 you can enlist in the Marines and go bomb the hell out of women and children halfway around the world, but at the same time someone that same age or a year or two younger can't handle the decisions of using an e cig? And yes it's illegal for anyone under 18 to use them, but in the occasional circumstance they actually did use one, who really cares? You're going to tell a 16 yr old they're not ready to make the decision on using a e cig while they're brother, 12 months older is off flying multi-million dollar jets over active war zones and bombing women and children? Puh-lease.
edit on 7-5-2014 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: RationalDespair

I am 42, I picked up a couple pvd's (personal vaping device) for myself and my wife. I had smoked since I was 15. We are 1 month in together and haven't touched a cigarette since.

The difference between the two is this:

E-cig: A cheap, disposable cigarette that uses cartridges (those contain what's necessary to create the vapor).

The "Ego-style" vaporizer (battery unit with the cartridge at the top of the device) does cost you a bit more, usually somewhere between 12-49.99USD for what is called a "starter kit". This comes with the battery, and a couple cartridges that hold the e-juice, along with a small sample of e-liquid for you to try. In the long run you will save lots more money if you spend a little more when you make your first purchase.

I already only after 1 month can smell and taste better without adding anything to my food. I can breathe easier, I am markedly less tired than before. Benefits all around, and it will only get better.

What ever you choose I wish you luck in your endeavors and here's a pic of my new setup...the Itaste MVP 2. Very much worth it!

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

I HAVE SEEN HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE KIDS WITH THESE THINGS all over the place. More than I see the same demographic with cigarettes.

And that's a bad thing how? I graduated in '89 and we were the very last class year before they banned smoking on the property. We used to go outside for actual scheduled smoke breaks between classes and bum them off our teachers. Probably 80 percent of the student body at that high school smoked and it was not only allowed but catered to by the school. Today, they may not allow smoking on school grounds but teens haven't changed that much and I know seeing them vaping rather than smoking a cigarette is very positive news. And you can get zero nicotine juice, which is more like vaporizing a lollipop instead of sucking on it, and most likely what kids under 18 are using. Ever heard of a zero nicotine cigarette? They wouldn't be any less harmful even if they did exist.

With all the vices and addictions you can have in this world, I'd say ecigs would be the absolute least one to worry about.

Mine not only helped me stop smoking the minute I picked one up, but I stopped biting my nails at the same time, as well as cut my coffee intake from 1-2 pots a day to 1-2 cups a day.

I would be one happy camper to see every single smoker on the planet switch from smoking to vaping and eradicate the big tobacco industry forever. But you can be sure that the governments and tobacco lobbyists will never let that happen, as proof is shown here in the OP and the blatant propaganda that has led people to believe things like "vaping = smoking" "Nicotine is addictive, therefore it's bad," "OMG the children!" "It has flavors, therefore kids will want it," "It's a gateway to smoking," ad nauseam.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Exactly. In a very small nutshell:

Big Pharma: Will lose billions in lost NRT sales and smoking related illness.

Big Tobacco: Will lose billions in lost cigarette sales. To combat this they finally jumped in and bought Blu and a few others. If the proposed regulations are finalized as is, BT will own the ecig market and the small guys (and their good products) will be put out of business. Of course there would be a black market but I won't get into that.

Big ol' Uncle Sam: Well, same story obviously. Can't lose those billions in sin tax.

Tobacco control groups: Well, they wouldn't be getting any money from the gov if everyone quit smoking, huh?

Please please join Casaa if you're a vaper. Hell, even if you're not, if you have a relative who has died from smoking related illness this should infuriate you. If ecigs were around and popular 20 years ago, my dad could have quit a 2 pack a day habit that killed him at 41 years old. What these people are doing is disgusting and we have to stop them.
edit on 7-5-2014 by BanTv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Aa reply to: Frank_Rizzo

Ah, that is true. Personal vaporizer or PV is what we call the bigger devices. I meant to say they all work essentially the same (with a heating element), but the bigger devices do work much better for various reasons.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Frank_Rizzo
Nice set up! You moved up quick, it took me years to finally get a decent setup.
My current set up is the itaste SVD with a Taifun GT tank to top it off. I have tried many setups, I got to say this one kicks butt, the GT tank hits like a train and is easy to set up..Highly recommended.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: RationalDespair

I was hoping to have more time to write this, but I'll just point you in the right direction for now.

Let's say there's two parts, the top that holds the liquid and the bottom is the battery. For the top piece, look up Kanger Evod, Mini Protank 2 v2, and one of the newest is the Mini Aerotank. These are all quality "clearomizers". The heating element gets gunked up from the flavorings and you can just buy replacement "heads" that screw in/out. Many people clean and reuse the heads, many don't want to deal with the hassle. A "clearo" is not the best, but it's a good place to start.

You would also need a battery. The basic "ego" batteries are 3.7 volts and not adjustable. A better choice to start with is a Vision Spinner battery which can be adjusted to your liking. The 1300mah version would last you all day, but it's a little bigger and you would still want to have a backup battery. To keep it at a comfortable size, you could get 2 650mah Spinners. Or to start, you could just get 2-3 cheaper Ego batts. Just depends on your budget. Although you WILL upgrade at some point, and then upgrade again and then again. You'll save money by just getting a VV (variable voltage) Spinner to start with.

Bookmark e-cigarette-forum as well. It's a wealth of info and helpful folks. It might take a few months to wrap your head around everything (unless you know Ohms Law already), but you'll get it. Everyone you love who smokes right now could be a non-smoker by next year thanks to you

edit on 8-5-2014 by BanTv because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-5-2014 by BanTv because: last one

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BanTv
a reply to: Frank_Rizzo

Thank you for your advise! Spending a little more for a better device is still nothing compared to the amount I have to spent smoking every day. In Holland a pack of 19 Marlboro Red cigarettes is 6 Euros (~8 US dollar). And I need more than one a day... and so does my wife.

I'm going to see where I can get a good one with battery around here or maybe order one from the Internet

Thanks again!

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: flyingfish

You have quit smoking but did not quit your nicotine addiction. Not sure which one is worse.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It does seem like a conspiracy. Seems like they just want people to
keep smoking cigarettes that way the government keeps making all that
revenue from cigarette taxes!!!

Talk about a double message.

Rebel 5

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I just want to chime in as an ecig user who has bothered to study the science behind them.

Exhaled ecig vapor contains nicotine, and while it isn't second hand smoke, it is second hand nicotine. A regulated, toxic substance.

Yes, while ecigs are a healthier alternative to smoking as there are no known carcinogens, people have the right to not be exposed to nicotine vapor without their permission. So banning their use in public is in accordance with the fundamental principles of liberty as you have no right to infringe on another.

Lastly, each device has different wattage ratings and design, chemical ingredients, etc. This makes it difficult (impossible for an average user) to determine whether or not the substance is indeed being vaporized properly at the right temperature, and not 'mostly' vaporized with additional burning (which in theory could produce carcinogens).

EDIT: Nicotine is why cigs have a heart disease warning.
edit on 8-5-2014 by DerbyGawker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DerbyGawker

So you personally get to pick and choose what you inhale on a daily basis??? Well geez... Don't I have the right then to not breathe in toxic emissions from motor vehicles? Whose going to regulate that? Wait you're wearing cologne or perfume??? That bothers my nose!!! I can't breathe that in!!! I guess the only air that's good for you is the air government approves is good right?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldirex

You have quit smoking but did not quit your nicotine addiction. Not sure which one is worse.

Smoking cigarettes will kill you, and it's not the nicotine in cigarettes that's poisoning you, it's all the other chemicals too numerous to even type out.
Despite being addictive nicotine in no more harmful to you than caffeine, in fact nicotine provides the same benefits that some people get from caffeine or Ritalin, and for others nicotine provides relief from stress, anxiety, or panic. Also, I have read studies suggesting nicotine helps people with parkinson's symptoms calming the shakes. For me I enjoy very low amounts (6ml), I feel better, I taste food, I don't stink, I save money and it won't kill me.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5

So you personally get to pick and choose what you inhale on a daily basis??? Well geez... Don't I have the right then to not breathe in toxic emissions from motor vehicles? Whose going to regulate that? Wait you're wearing cologne or perfume??? That bothers my nose!!! I can't breathe that in!!! I guess the only air that's good for you is the air government approves is good right?

rather weak argument, quite tangential in fact. but...

I would absolutely say that you have the right to not be exposed to toxic vapor from vehicles, but that isn't the world we live in. We live in a mitigated world, where society accepts certain evils that benefit us as a whole and then place restrictions on those items.

Regulating nicotine vapor is no different than regulating leaded gasoline. Would you prefer we go back to the days of no government involvement so we can all breath in DDT and lead?

Restricting ecig use in commons is all about localized 'pollution' (for lack of a better word). Someone within your immediate vicinity will receive a higher concentration of nicotine via your vapor exhalation than vehicle exhaust from a car passing by. In fact, you have a greater exposure risk from mercury in a CFL than the air, even though coal plants pump out millions of tons of the crap. Mitigated, localized pollution.

And the latter arguments you listed such as excessive cologne/perfume are in fact covered under breach of the peace laws. But it's a far cry from an offensive odor to a toxic substance.

originally posted by: flyingfish

originally posted by: alldirex

Smoking cigarettes will kill you, and it's not the nicotine in cigarettes that's poisoning you, it's all the other chemicals too numerous to even type out.
Despite being addictive nicotine in no more harmful to you than caffeine, in fact nicotine provides the same benefits that some people get from caffeine or Ritalin, and for others nicotine provides relief from stress, anxiety, or panic. Also, I have read studies suggesting nicotine helps people with parkinson's symptoms calming the shakes. For me I enjoy very low amounts (6ml), I feel better, I taste food, I don't stink, I save money and it won't kill me.

Absolute facepalm. NICOTINE IS A POISON, so yes, it is the nicotine that's poisoning you, plus other crap. Nicotine causes tons of issues, please bother to actually read up on it before making such contrary statements.

EDIT: According to the CDC, 60 milligrams of nicotine is enough to kill a 150-pound adult.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Well how many necessary evils must we accept until it kills us all? Why can't we have one of our own? The government gets theirs, they don't mind emission poison from cars or factories, they don't mind GMO foods that poison your body, they don't mind flouride in your water supply... So how long does someone need to vap purposefully in someones face until it has real second hand effects on them? Just curious.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

Ignoring your tirade...

So how long does someone need to vap purposefully in someones face until it has real second hand effects on them? Just curious.

Depends on the person, doesn't it. Individuals who have an allergy to nicotine would experience effects immediately. People who don't smoke may experience slight dizziness, headaches and nausea within several minutes from 24+mg juice vapor.

The nicotine is spread through the vapor and absorbed through the skin primarily, it's less about inhalation such as smoke.

As a side-note, I find it morally reprehensible that you're actually trying to defend the fact that you have a right to willfully expose others to a known poison for no other benefit than your own. Apparently that's what freedom means nowadays.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Your research is riddled with FDA misinformation and as we have discovered, it's biased. If you bothered to look at the independent " Peer reviewed " links I provided for you would know your statements are incorrect.
In fact your innocent secondhand vapor victims would get more Nicotine eating a potato or an eggplant than they would from you vaping around them.

Please review the study here.

Results
There was no evidence of potential for exposures of e-cigarette users to contaminants that are associated with risk to health at a level that would warrant attention if it were an involuntary workplace exposures. The vast majority of predicted exposures are 

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join