It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal "court" rules that good posture, driving carefully and having acne is suspicious behavior.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Federal court rules that stiff driving posture is suspicious behavior.

NEW MEXICO — A federal appeals court has ruled that driving with one’s hands at the “ten-and-two position” is reason enough to pull someone over for further investigation. No traffic laws have to actually be broken. Additionally, the court ruled that facial acne is reason enough to suspect a driver is a drug smuggler.

A border patrol agent driving down Highway 80 saw a white Ford F-150 heading the opposite direction. This took place roughly 40 miles north of the U.S./Mexico border — well inside the United States.

Although the truck was witnessed breaking no traffic laws, Border Patrol Agent Joshua Semmerling claimed he noticed several things that drew his suspicions, while passing the truck at 60 miles per hour.

First, was the driver’s upright posture. The female driver was sitting up straight with her hands located on the upper part of the steering wheel. This was viewed as suspicious activity.

Secondly, the agent claimed that the truck’s tinted windows were suspicious. It remains unclear how the agent saw driver’s posture through the “suspicious” tint.

Lastly was the truck’s rear license plate — which the agent claims to have observed in his rear-view mirror while traveling at a high rate of speed in the opposite direction. He claimed that he noticed it was from out-of-state; another suspicious characteristic.

He saw that Mrs. Westhoven had “acne” on her face and claimed that it was grounds for suspecting her to be a methamphetamine user.

I put court in quotes because at this point I feel like our "justice" system (yes more quotes) is a complete joke.

Every level of our government has lost credibility.

When are the courts simply going to come out and say that they no longer recognize the 4th Amendment? That we are incrementally moving towards a police state which seems to have the blessing of the courts.

Walking down the street: suspicious.
Eating ice cream: suspicious.
Talking on the phone: suspicious.
Laughing when your friend falls: suspicious.
Going to work: suspicious.
Minding your own g-damn business going down the road: suspicious.

We have to educate people about their rights and duties when it comes to protecting our fellow citizens:

Jury Nullification.

edit on 4-5-2014 by gladtobehere because: thread title

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Well looking tense can be suspicious for any number of reasons.

In the way back machine I used to run in drug circles. The Keystone Cops would always try to find out you're high or holding and I have been searched and accosted a thousand times for "suspicious" behavior.

Depends on where you are and what you are doing.

Yah, its profiling…

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

We have to educate people about their rights and duties when it comes to protecting our fellow citizens: - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I hate to be pessimistic but what good is educating people about their rights when the police don't give a damn and it simply comes down to your word against theirs.

Whenever I drive somewhere I am always recording with my go pro mounted on the dash but I wouldn't pu it past a cop to destroy or erase/lose any video evidence if something happened like getting t boned by a cop in traffic because they were not paying attention.

The only thing I think would be somewhat secure is if we could record directly to a cloud where they couldn't get their grubby hands on it. Sorry but I have lost all faith in the US justice system. I am sure most people have seen the videos of cops raiding a home to get ahold of a video that would incriminate them. There is a thread on here somewhere showing just that and the only reason that surfaced was the neighbor across the street recorded it while hiding.

edit on 4-5-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I thought just being a human was suspicious behavior. Being a dog is not much better.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Not to worry ..we here have been assured by members who are also leo that we are ridiculous for suggesting that we are in a police state or at the very very least an emerging one..we are just being silly.
Kind of obvious though isnt it. Whatever your doing they will classify/designate it suspicious..breathing will soon be on the list.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that I was taught in driving
school that proper hand alignment on the steering wheel was 10am & 2 pm.

This is absolutely nuts...good on the Go-Pro....but seems like people are now
going to have their own dash cam PLUS one hidden in the head liner of their vehicle
just to be bloody safe.
It really behooves me to think how things were growing up & what they have become...
un-bloody-real!

Cheers
Ektar

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Just like mother Russia....how similar....the only way to get justice is to have the proof you are innocent....or else....................

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Not to worry ..we here have been assured by members who are also leo that we are ridiculous for suggesting that we are in a police state or at the very very least an emerging one..we are just being silly.

aint it funny? not actually.

There is NO DIFFERENCE in cops today or Redcoats circa 1770's. The POLICE have ADMITTED as such via their ACTIONS>

Why do you think they are getting armored vehicles and militarizing? Because THEY KNOW that once the people figure it out, they will NEED armored vehicles.!!

There is NOT ONE SINGLE cop that does NOT ASSAULT the Spirit if the Constitution. MANY duties and orders they follow are ON THEIR FACE pure TYRANNY.

I am not surprised by this woman being pulled over, I AM surprised that we dont already have Constitutional Vigilantes serving as a Balance of Power against Tyranny.. I KNOW that even as close as 50 years ago, the people would have SMACKED THE TRYANT BULLIES DOWN.

ALL our founding fathers are rolling in their graves due to what cops engage in DAILY.. NO OTHER ASPECT of American society is MORE ASSAULTING to our founders than COPS. not China, not NK, not Russia, not AL-CIA-DUH, not Taliban, not Muslim Brotherhood, etc..

The COPS will meet with Karma. THEY HAVE ADMITTED IT by the militarization. Who plans on armored vehicles OTHER THAN those that realize they NEED IT?

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Although I agree with the premise, the underlying fact was she was, in fact, riding dirty. With the NDAA in effect, what rights do you have? Then there's the organic act of 1871...

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Border Patrol? So the border patrol has the right to pull people over for reasons other then immigration? The border patrol has jurisdiction over all people, not just those who are suspected of being here illegally?

Would the court simply rule on this particular fact and let us no. It would seem that anyone with a guy and a badge, all those who fall under the DHS, have the right to do as they please. This is FINE if those in charge simply state this as fact.

The reason for the various agencies was specific.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Again, this is all trivial.

The war on drugs is the problem

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy

everyone who engages in the war on drugs is a "just following orders" type of TYRANT TRAITOR.

"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlubberyConspiracy

Trying to steer the thread into taboo ATS subject matter. Clever.

Working from home today?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

oh, we can talk about the war on drugs, we just can't advocate use of illicit substances. we also can't talk about any personal experiences we may or may not have had with illicit substances

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well, it has to be recognized that the proximity to the border is likely the main factor here. I'm not denying that police often overreact to things and sometimes go way too far but at least they have an understandable concern and they aren't just harassing people for the fun of it in this particular case.

I mean, with or without the war on drugs, you guys have to admit that crossing national borders (Especially the southern border) is a touchy issue that has to be taken seriously. There are just way too many issues of concern to blame it on the war on drugs or overly zealous police officers.

top topics

join