It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden: Entire Populations Now Live Under Constant Surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
TORONTO (AP) — Edward Snowden, the former U.S. intelligence contractor who has been leaking information about government data collection programs, said Friday before a debate on state surveillance that entire populations, rather than just individuals, now live under constant surveillance.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think hjes running out of juicy tidbits...anyone can see this is just a rehash of the original information leak.....
Gotta make a living too I guess....
I just wish that we had gotten all the information in one dump instead of through the MSM filtering process....it would have been far more in keeping with Snowdens stated aim....don't you think....

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
constant surveillance?
You bet
even the surveillors too
LOL
stupid effers

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Two words
OPERATION ECHELON.....
we are talking 60 plus years of the FIVE EYES............

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Well duh. When is Snowden actually going to tell something that the people who have been paying attention to what governments have been doing didn't know.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: awakehuman

Respect for Mr. Snowden but...This is hardly breaking news.

It's been so for quite awhile now.

Peace

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If anyone has been to a even just fairly large city they should have caught on that cameras are everywhere. Have been for years. Even here in St. Louis....everywhere.

Then look at London, New York, or L.A.--just the extreme examples, but my parent's town of 10,000 has surveillance everywhere.

Not really breaking new , Edward S.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I asked a man who'd worked at Morwenstow for twenty years what they actually did there and he laughed. "Everybody asks that." He said. "They listen to everything. Our military. Other peoples military. Our private and business traffic and everyone else's private and business traffic. Everything they can pick up is taken down and passed on to the relevant department."

But what he was uncomfortable with were the murders of GCHQ staff. Because no one working there would tell their colleagues what they were working on, none of them could work out the connection between the different worker drones who'd been killed. So none of them knew whether they might have the information that cursed them like the black spot. While the murders were going on they all kept their heads down and just hoped they wouldn't be next.

These so called leaks are very obvious ploys intended to scare the general population. The effect of fear in creating a pliable population has been the subject of countless hours of research over thousands of years.

If you've been looking at something dodgy on the internet and you're scared that it's been put on a file then more fool you. But if you're just saying, "Hey! These cast iron nuclear waste containers being placed in aluminium sheds around Britain's coast will act as crucibles if suicidal ram raiders break in and put thermite grenades on top of them." What is there to fear? If I thought of it countless genuine threats have also thought of it and it needs to be sorted. More nuclear police would be a start.

Entire populations are watched because masses of legitimately outraged people acting in unison is what's coming and they want to know when to run and hide. Not that hiding with a crowd of scared, sweaty traitors like themselves is going to be the desirable thing to do.
edit on 4 5 2014 by Kester because: Punktuation

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Is it concerning that every thing he says gets covered so much in MSM?
Every one always talks about how the real issues don't show up there, just want TPTB want us to see...
So do they want us to see snowden?

Or am i just over thinking it..

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Now that’s a news flash! Wow, thanks, Ed; I mean, God. How did we ever get along before you? You’re The MAN!!

Seriously, we’ve all known this to be the case for years now. I guess it’s a natural/obvious/unavoidable consequence of our advancing tech. It comes with tons of sticky issues and potential for abuse, but as with all other technologies, there is also a potential for some good from it (although you may have to look long and hard to find it). We’ll just have to sort it all out and strike a balance. Either that or except the fact that privacy is a thing of the past and try to quit picking our noses in public.

I feel like the rule of thumb here is, from the second you step out the front door in the morning til the time you return home late at night, your every move will become a part of recorded history. No matter where you go there’s a set of eyes capturing every peccadillo, wardrobe malfunction and socially incorrect thing you do. And from time to time even a demented, thrill-seeking old fart like me laughing his butt off while watching your sick, perverted antics realtime. Then when you get home at night and boot up,.. Well, we all know the rest.

If that sounded kinda paranoic, it wasn’t. I know the issues regarding privacy rights, blah, blah, blah... But, I’m not getting bent out of shape over it, and not going to debate it either. It doesn’t disturb me as much as it seems to many other folks. I guess I’ve just been aware of it for so long (way, way before Fast Eddy came on the scene) that it’s jaded me. I’m not losing any sleep over it.

Now, there are many true and frightening dangers ahead regarding our advancing technologies and increasing inability to control them. I have a feeling we will be faced with some seemingly insurmountable issues regarding the direction we take, and bad choices may elicite grave consequences. Personally, I doubt we’ll survive more than another century or 2 before we fall victum to humanity’s apparent desire to annihilate itself. What a shame, and waste of perfectly good tech!

Anyway, thanks Eddy. Keep us on your list - we need those updates. And give my best to your new boss, Vlad...

edit on 5/4/2014 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: awakehuman
TORONTO (AP) — Edward Snowden, the former U.S. intelligence contractor who has been leaking information about government data collection programs, said Friday before a debate on state surveillance that entire populations, rather than just individuals, now live under constant surveillance.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Most of us know by now that this is going on and naturally we all have different reactions to it. The question should be, WHY? They feed us the terrorism story to make us compliant, and accepting of it. They have the power, the know how, and the equipment to do keep us all under full time and total surveillance too, in our own homes and out of them.

But again, WHY? We NEED to know the purpose behind it, to be able to react appropriately. Are we guinea pigs in some scheme, that they need to track the data and results of?

If it was merely for the sake of having hordes of information, they can collect as much as they like about me, because I'm an ordinary person, living an ordinary life. But WHY do they want to know about insignificant me? What is the real reason behind this?

As long as we are in ignorance about their real purpose, they're safe...

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Maigret

In parts of Ireland super-powerful surveillance devices are more than strongly suspected of having caused cancer epidemics in the targeted population. This makes me wonder whether the operators of this equipment were actually being used to test weaponry without their knowledge.

Is the whole smart meter, surveillance, electronic gadget culture actually a way of getting all of us in the crosshairs.

Oh there are my meds! I wondered where they'd got to.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: Maigret

In parts of Ireland super-powerful surveillance devices are more than strongly suspected of having caused cancer epidemics in the targeted population. This makes me wonder whether the operators of this equipment were actually being used to test weaponry without their knowledge.

Is the whole smart meter, surveillance, electronic gadget culture actually a way of getting all of us in the crosshairs.

Oh there are my meds! I wondered where they'd got to.

I agree! We can't defend ourselves, if we don't know we're being attacked. And this sort of purpose makes more sense of the total surveillance and data collection, than the excuse of terrorism does.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Well duh. When is Snowden actually going to tell something that the people who have been paying attention to what governments have been doing didn't know.

But I think his point isn't to preach to the choir. The fact remains that many people didn't know about such surveillance until Snowden told them. And even now many people justify it..

top topics

join