It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC cyclist arrested for using cellphone to film cop, told iPhones are ‘being used as guns’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or has already been posted.

A New York city cyclist was arrested for trying to film a cop giving him a ticket for running a red light.

Then the cop tells him the reason is people are using Iphones as guns now. I swear I did not make this up.

If the gun app is out there Im going to be really pissed that I have not downloaded it yet.

No reason for a cop to not let you film him. He is a public servant and the public has every right to record their actions.

A New York City cyclist was arrested, while attempting to film a police officer giving him a ticket for running a red light, with the explanation that “iPhones are being used as guns,” according to The Gothamist.

Will Paybarah,24, of Brooklyn, was stopped by a police officer in late March for – admittedly– running a red light while on his bike. As the officer approached him, Paybarah pulled out his cellphone to film the encounter only to have the officer immediately tell him to put his phone away.

According to Paybarah, “When I tried to record my interaction with the officer I was arrested… in 10 seconds flat.”

www.rawstory.com...

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This doesnt show anything..... Hard to judge..

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Theres an app for that....

Its called "over stepping the law"

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Obviously the video ends well before the "iPhones are being used as guns" comment but judging be the cop's approach, it's certainly believable. Even if he didn't make such an asinine comment, the cops actions were, as I understand it, completely unlawful.

There's an interesting blog post on findlaw.com about the legality of filming police:

The First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in 2011 that people have a First Amendment right to record the police. A Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals decision from June 2012 ruled that laws prohibiting citizens from videotaping police violate the First Amendment.

The Department of Justice also recently sent a letter to Baltimore's police force reminding them that the First Amendment allows people to videotape police in public places, reports Time Magazine.

But for all you aspiring Spielbergs out there, don't hit record just yet.

Courts have recognized a right to record the police, but like all legal rights there are limits to what is allowed.

Secretly recording someone is an invasion of privacy; people must know they are being filmed so they can choose to leave and avoid camera-time. If you decide to videotape police make sure you tell them before you start recording.

Some states require consent before filming a subject. But most of them agree that on-duty police officers have no right to privacy on the job so consent is not generally required.

Seems to be a "thing" now:

San Diego Police Attack and Arrest Man Video Recording Them, Claiming Phone Could be a Weapon
Arkansas Cop Rips iPhone Out of Man's Hand, Claiming He Couldn't Tell it was a Smartphone
Another CA Cop Thinks A Cell Phone Might Be A Dangerous Weapon
edit on 2014-5-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well you can get an I phone case that doubles as a stun gun.

iPhone Case with Built-In Stun Gun Hopes to Deter the Theft of New iPhones

abcnews.go.com...

I could not find anything about one being used as a gun.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Now thats just plain scarey....

If you want to carry a stun gun JUST CARRY A STUN GUN. Why do people need to put weird things in their phones, i mean a light is one thing but a stun gun?!

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
My iPad is a Tommy Gun then...

edit on 5/4/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yes, it's true. Captured footage of lousy cops is being used as "smoking gun" evidence to just how afraid we should be of their blatant disregard for we the people.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
What if there is an ELF app? That people other than the privileged have stumbled upon? Just a thought.

Interesting "coincidence".

US Navy To Use Lasers To Shoot Down Aerial Drones
edit on 5/4/2014 by GoldenObserver because: Link

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I thought the "oo it's a cell phone gun" lie went out of vogue last year. Maybe FOP's decided to resurrect it.

Maybe a few big cities need to lay out a few million more bucks in false arrest and 1st amendment violation charges before they tell them to quit acting the idiots again.
edit on 4-5-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Maybe he has a point

edit on 4-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Thinking the Big Apple has been rotten for quite some time. Pretty obvious cops have actions to hide.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

I would be really careful answering that phone.

top topics

join