It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesephobe - could this be a new word for the 21st century?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: thedeadtruth

there you go: survival of the fittest. The problem will fix itself.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
take it the other way...

Is there a fear of thin people?

a skin-or-skel-ophobia?

When you can see ribs, ugh.. I don;t think it's a great idea.

I actually have some muscle mass, when my arms are larger than some peoples legs, there's an issue.

It's not that these people are too poor to eat, is it?

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I don't think there is anything wrong with what you said or the way you feel. I am right at 100lbs. My husband tips the scales at around 360. He's a big man and carries the weight well, but I prefer a bigger man. Not fat like you have to ride a scooter or your belly falls between your knees... but big... like he can protect you and make you feel safe.

He prefers small women. I can not understand why people are made to feel less than simply because they don't toe the PC line. You are free to like what you wish for any reason you wish and you shouldn't have to explain to ANYONE why you like it or why you don't.

Society is getting completely out of control with this "all inclusive" BS. I come from the old school where I would rather someone tell me why they don't like me or what I do instead of pretending otherwise because it's the right thing to do. I don't want people to just "put up" with me and I don't want to feel like I have to "put up" with those I don't want to either. That's the way it used to work for everyone and everyone was fine with it. Living in the new PC world does naught but make everyone "fake" their true feelings. I would rather it be in the open so we all know who we are dealing with.... I guess that's not a good thing these days.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gspat

the other extreme is just as wrong. and also it always depends on your situation, experiences and stuff, but most fatties(?) just refuse to take responsibility for the things they eat, as if it wasn't their choice. but it is.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

You're physically attracted to the body style you're physically attracted to. It's not a "choice". I suppose some would get all hot & bothered by the obese, but I think most would agree with the classic definition of "attractive". I have noticed people tend to pair-off with a partner of their own approximate attractiveness and fitness level. Odd how that happens.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL

Tell me any ladies out there would call that attractive lol. Some swearing.

Not to burst your bubble but he is married. What you see in that video is a "persona" he created that he essentially puts a show on youtube about.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Ninipe

You can't just accept gay marriage anymore. You have to like it and be metrosexual in support.
You can't just accept obese people anymore. You have to sympathise and endorse their "victimhood".
You can't just disagree with someone anymore.

You have to find a reason to hate.

Hate is acceptable if it is against people unwilling to conform to a false societal meme.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

You said the word "fat" out loud?

edit on 4-5-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Azdraik

ETA - That I just noticed this should have probably been posted to TKDRL and not you. My apologies.

I have watched most of this guy's videos and he is married because of his personality (I assume for the most part anyway) to a really pretty girl. I have met people that I was not initially attracted to, but came to find them attractive because of their personalities. There is nothing sexier than a funny guy IMO. Now I am not saying that it works that way for everyone and sometimes nothing can make someone find another person sexually attractive... but given the chance some can have their minds changed by an outstanding personality, a caring spirit, etc.

"Francis" has that and while I do not find him sexually attractive myself, I can certainly understand how he found a woman to love him for who he is.
edit on 5/4/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
As a fat guy, and as a fat guy who has lost 60lbs.
Losing weight is generally very easy when you stick to it (i need to lose more).

There are very few illnesses out there that will make you fat. Thyroid issues mainly, perhaps some mental disorder. I get your distaste though, i don't really like me either. But i don't mind a bit of a chubby girl either (just my own preference) But there is a difference too, someone who is just obese is not attractive to me. They could be the best person in the world, but i don't like when someone can't take responsibility for themselves and make up excuses to be the way they are. Being obese is unhealthy, no amount of excuses will change that.

Were i in your situation i wouldn't even brought up the weight thing, it just open floodgates of PC drama., i would have went with "I'm not attracted to unhealthy people" or she's not my type or something like that.

Drama free. Fat is a sensitive topic for fat people, sometimes the truth hurts. Its entirely the types of foods you eat, the lack of exercise, and lack of water. I did the Ketogenic diet. Amazing results, must get back to it soon.

Don't let yourself cave to the fat pressure. Being fat is unhealthy and unless there are real legit health reasons for it, then it needs to go or suffer the effects of it later in life. Diabeetus, cancers, organ failures, heart disease, etc.
edit on 4/5/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

You are allowed your preferences. I am disgusted by skinny chicks myself. The way you feel about "fat girls" is the way I feel about "skinny ones".

How's this, you keep all the skinny chicks you want...just send me one pretty and intelligent bigger chick. We will call it even.

MM

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I have noticed a huge increase in hatred for overweight people. Not that they were ever loved, but before the last few years they were mostly ignored with the exception of information about the health consequences of being over weight.

As of late more and more people have come out as being straight up, in your face, hateful of over weight people.

I'ts almost as if modern political correctness has eliminated all other outlets for hatred and the overweight are one of the last remaining groups that can be hated and bullied while still remaining politically correct. Race, religion, disabilities, sexual orientation are all protected classes and you can't say anything negative about them without getting ostracized. The fatties are fair game though, so everyone with hate in their heart is focusing on them because there are no consequences.

This is the impression i have made from what I have seen, but my opinion on obesity has not changed. A person should be able to make decisions for their own life, and others should stay out of their business. If a person decides to be hedonistic and eat themselves to death, as long as they are not harming anyone else then, I say, let them be. There are many things people do that people have that cause unnecessary health issues. Anorexia, alcoholism, prescription drug use, choice of lovers, dangerous sports and activities etc.

These people are on their own pursuit of happiness, and it is no one's place to tell them they are wrong. Just because YOU wouldn't do the same does not give you the right to degrade and discriminate. The most you can do is educate about the health consequences and help them to make better choices, IF they choose to accept the help. If they won't change, that is their choice. If they end up dying from a heart attack, or a parachute that didnt open, they died because of their own decision, and that's ok.

Someday (hopefully) humanity will reach a point where it no longer NEED an outlet for hatred. Sadly, today is not that day.

DC

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
truth about obesity :

obese people are very lucky people with an amazingly efficient digestive system (and immune system if they were not destroying it with the vast amount of unhealthy food & sugar they consume).

These people could sustain and be healthy with nearly no food at all (in ayurveda, they are called kapha dominant people).

problem for them : they live in consumerism time and are conditioned by insane amount of advertising meant to create desire (and consume).

there is this legend that it's an health issue which is garbage obviously : ever met poor obese people in poor countries ? me never (met plenty of rich obese in poor countries though).

wake up obese people : you are born with an amazing gift, so beat the advertising, beat the desire, beat the ego, beat the system and take advantage of it instead of destroying it.
edit on 4-5-2014 by anHairInTheSoup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: benrl
It does seem to be the case that dislike of fat bodies is becoming non PC...It is why I'm expecting the word obesephobe to be in the Oxford dictionary in the next few years...tragic.

I sure am not seeing this, society is really spouting 100% negative very vocally of obesity atm, not being accepting.
Maybe it is just your one friend who thought you should look deeper, or wanted to see if you would. They know you better now.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: LordGoofus

Let's face it, all of us have a natural instinct to want to mate with healthy people and a good majority will steer clear of obese people for the same reason we steer clear of people that are clearly psychologically unstable. It's natural to want your partner to be healthy and it's wrong to make people feel bad because they're following their biological instincts.

Do you really see any such "natural" instinct happening today? The biggest reproducers are the unfit, the drug addicted, the least healthy in our society.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

I don't even like looking at fat people, let alone ever date one. I workout regularly, and don't think of junk food as a staple in my diet.

I had a good friend many years ago, a school teacher, she was very large. That woman never touched junk in her life! we went on a trip around the whole US together and I was stunned that she ate far less than I did. She did all the hikes and everything I did, but she did not lose any weight on our 7 week trip so I am pretty sure this was how she normally ate and exercised.

People are totally wrong some people do not have to over eat or be lazy to be overweight.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have found this thread very entertaining, and I see both sides.
Yes, there are wonderful, delightful people who are obese. No argument. The problem is that they are not attractive physically, in my opinion.

I have tried a time or two to 'get past it', and develop intimate relationships with people who were markedly overweight -
it wasn't fair to them, or to myself - because, bottom line, it required lots of 'determination' and forcing myself to pretend it didn't matter. It just does.

But, it takes all kinds; to each his or her own taste. No accounting for it, ya know.
I just don't know how two huge people manage to...err...make it work.
edit on 5/4/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: meant to be a general reply, not just to Char-Lee. sorry.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

So should we just be attracted to everyone because "they're people too" and "they have feelings".

I think what the girlfriend was looking for, is (is she a nice an interesting person) get to know her and then decide how attracted you are. Attraction is NOT lust. Attraction can come with liking and interest and shared ideas.

People on this thread are talking about lust which is shallow and does not go deep.

I know most of you are to young to get it, but look back at a show like Andy Griffith, Aunt Bea was fat, but she was kind caring and loving. Would someone fall in LOVE with her and want to have sex with her? YES.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I like fat women. I think some of them are very attractive. Similarly I find some thin women or average women unattractive.

You are who you are. I don't like the idea that some fat people are made to feel uncomfortable by others because they are overweight.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

So.. Question is, could it be more about the lack of self moderation and control being fat by bad behavior represents than the specific end result?

Very good point, the heart of it, is the PRESUMED behavior and lifestyle which may be completely different than ASSUMED!

As I said I had a very large best friend many years ago and she never over ate and did not eat fast foods nor drink soda...not even coffee, she would be called a health nut if food she ate were the indicator. She was 6 ft tall and very heavy but shapely also and really beautiful we certainly had men on our trip approach her romantically.

i met her parents and they were both normal height and weight so I don't know where she got her genes but she was not lazy and not an overeater.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join