It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Dakota GOP Candidate Likens Food Stamp Recipients to Animals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

South Dakota GOP Candidate Likens Food Stamp Recipients to Animals - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If the the shoe fits one must admit.

What happens when people talk about cutting funding to social DE EVOLUTION programs ?

They scream bloody murder, and are ready to riot to keep that 'free' government stipend coming,

The irony here is the same people who support the welfare industrial complex are the same people who say 'Don't feed the animals at zoos'.

Because it creates dependency, and the 'wildlife' can't return to the wild because they can't take care of themselves.

Oh well nothing says they 'care' about their fellow man than by outsourcing to government to rob from the rich to give to the so called needy.

Really throwing someone elses money will solve people from the 'poor house'.

Even after 70 years since the 'WAR on POVERTY' began,

There are now MORE people broke,MORE people dependent, and MORE people out of work than in this nations ENTIRE history.

That is some score card there.

But hey lets 'vilify' the GOP when worse things are said about them bloody evil rich.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I work for my county human services department. Every day, I see people coming in to apply for food stamps and Medicaid. The vast majority are working, sometimes two or three jobs. Many are also going to school to get a degree and better themselves. Very few are lazy and entitled.

If I had a dollar for every time I hear someone say "I'm ashamed to even be here and doing this", I'd have a nice little nest egg. So many people do not understand or comprehend just how difficult it is for people to swallow their pride and ask for help. When I hear clueless politicians saying these disgusting things about poor people, I feel so disappointed and angry.

They should shadow me for a day and see the real things going on with people applying for benefits.

I think morals and civilized behavior has gone down the toilet. Pathetic.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Oh well nothing says they 'care' about their fellow man than by outsourcing to government to rob from the rich to give to the so called needy.
Yep, that accurately describes the sate of affairs in this country — the rich are getting robbed by the poor.

You may need to remove the gas mask because your brain is not getting an adequate supply of oxygen.
edit on 2014-5-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Doesn't he mean livestock?

Kept in captivity, prevented from fending for themselves, Given only just enough sustenance (food stamps) to work like a horse(big box stores) and kept alive until the next fleecing (taxes, tickets) when they get too old to work it's off to the knackers (Obamacare.)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
People are animals though ....

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Awsome to see the circle jerk join in on this one, because you dislike wellfare and social programs does not excuse you from calling people animals, so sad to see people foam to the mouth about wellfare.

Im not here to change your mind but show some compassion

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

People are animals .. but that is not what was even said.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I've never been on food stamps.

But if I was, I'd have only myself to blame.

Sure, you can blame a political party, you can blame corporations, you can blame anyone and anything you want.

But food stamps and welfare is not meant to be a lifestyle choice.

For those that see it as a lifestyle choice, then they are willing participants in their own captivity.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I would say that saying she likened anything to anything is a stretch just because she shared a post...

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Sure, you can blame a political party, you can blame corporations, you can blame anyone and anything you want.

For those that see it as a lifestyle choice, then they are willing participants in their own captivity.

Or perhaps you have been a willing participant in your own brainwashing and now you are just another sanctimonious robot promulgating a falsely held belief?

Do you assume that everyone who struggles is lacking motivation? I've never collected food stamps either, I don't see what that has to do with somebody else. I've never had my house burn down, should I blame fire victims for the need for fire departments?

Are you oblivious to increasing income inequality and the vanishing middle class? The decimation of the manufacturing sector? The jobs lost to automation and computerization? How about that whole recession thing? There are tens of millions of working people, people who HAVE JOBS, collecting food stamps. What do you suggest?

I'd love for you to explain how you've arrived at your point of view.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Or perhaps you have been a willing participant in your own brainwashing and now you are just another sanctimonious robot promulgating a falsely held belief?

I actually have "sanctimonious robot" on my resume'.

Do you assume that everyone who struggles is lacking motivation? I've never collected food stamps either, I don't see what that has to do with somebody else. I've never had my house burn down, should I blame fire victims for the need for fire departments?

Obviously you didn't read my post.

Are you oblivious to increasing income inequality and the vanishing middle class? The decimation of the manufacturing sector? The jobs lost to automation and computerization? How about that whole recession thing? There are tens of millions of working people, people who HAVE JOBS, collecting food stamps. What do you suggest?

What do I suggest? Striving to being self-sufficient for starters.

I'd love for you to explain how you've arrived at your point of view.

It's called honesty and personal opinion. Apologies because, unlike some, I don't read and parrot from a pre-determined progressive script.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Obviously you didn't read my post.

Do you deny implying that some appreciable number of those receiving food stamps are not doing so out of necessity, as it was intended, but rather because they've made a "lifestyle choice?" If you don't believe it's a lack of motivation, what's your explanation for this "lifestyle choice?"

Apologies because, unlike some, I don't read and parrot from a pre-determined progressive script.

Yea. You're a real wellspring of original conservative commentary.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
I don't know why some would accept/adopt welfare as a lifestyle choice.

Are you saying than none do?

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Of course not. That would be ridiculous. In my opinion, the real question is whether those people constitute a large enough percentage of recipients to warrant your comments or if you're placing a disproportionate emphasis on abuse?

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Of course not. That would be ridiculous. In my opinion, the real question is whether those people constitute a large enough percentage of recipients to warrant your comments or if you're placing a disproportionate emphasis on abuse?

I could give a shirt!

Do you have numbers to support your assertions?

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Yep, that accurately describes the sate of affairs in this country — the rich are getting robbed by the poor.

Considering they are paying INCOME tax unlike the vast MAJORITY of the poor.

Ya know stuff like this stuff says that :

46 Percent of Americans Exempt From Federal Income Tax in 2011

Since the 'poor' are getting more benefits that they ever pay in, and that is funded by the so called evil rich.

Through INCOME tax, Through Alternative Minimum TAX, Through Medicare Surtaxes on capital gains.

A minority in this country is supporting the majority because of asinine ideology that says take from one group the evil rich so the poor can go out, and BUY MORE STUFF !

You may need to remove the gas mask because your brain is not getting an adequate supply of oxygen.

Yeah someone isn't getting enough oxygen, and it is those who support the welfare industrial complex.

Pay attention here:

The American republic has endured for well over two centuries, but over the past 50 years, the apparatus of American governance has undergone a radical transformation. In some basic respects—its scale, its preoccupations, even many of its purposes—the U.S. government today would be scarcely recognizable to Franklin D. Roosevelt, much less to Abraham Lincoln or Thomas Jefferson.

online.wsj.com...

The growth of entitlement payments over the past half-century has been breathtaking. In 1960, U.S. government transfers to individuals totaled about $24 billion in current dollars, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis. By 2010 that total was almost 100 times as large. Even after adjusting for inflation and population growth, entitlement transfers to individuals have grown 727% over the past half-century, rising at an average rate of about 4% a year

In 2010 alone, government at all levels oversaw a transfer of over $2.2 trillion in money, goods and services. The burden of these entitlements came to slightly more than $7,200 for every person in America. Scaled against a notional family of four, the average entitlements burden for that year alone approached $29,000.

In 2010 current federal spending was $2.2 trillion dollars alone.

Oh and 4 years LATER there is MORE.

Lets take medicare, and medicaid for example. Both are WELFARE programs. That accounts for over 100 million Americans on 'government ran health insurance.

Which is a huge chunk of WELFARE spending.

Then we take food stamps that has over 47 million Americans on them. Hell gotta make sure people get to eat right ?

Yep that GMO food is so awesome, and good for the body ain't it ?

Oh and them corporations thank the welfare supporters all the way to their bank accounts.

You know like the JP Morgans who makes billions off them.

You might think that if you’re on food stamps, big banks won’t be very interested in you. What could they possibly want with someone who’s struggling just to put food on the table? But it turns out that you’re actually part of a profitable business for big bank JPMorgan. While the money to pay for the stamps comes from the government, the technology to access it lies in private hands. Food stamps used to be literally stamps — that is, pieces of paper — but in this day and age paper is so old fashioned. Now you get your food stamps with a debit card, and JPMorgan knows all about creating plastic credit products.

www.rooseveltinstitute.org...

And then there is stuff like this:

NBC2's investigators discovered people are getting government assistance money from ATMs inside liquor stores, strip clubs and even a dog racing track. NBC2 found out how it's happening and why the state isn't doing anything about it.

www.nbc-2.com...

Yo next time cease with the personal snips that add nothing to the topic eh?

Back to the poor mongering.

edit on 4-5-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
This is trivial and bigoted

The world is nearing its bounds with most usable land either owned, occupied or off limits, many don't understand what "making money" even means. The domination and enslavement economy won't work now more than ever before since oppressed groups across the world are beginning to get a voice. Luxuries at our state of things require oppression and servants, of course you can't support a standard of living by making it illegal to not meet it. The caved out base of the structure collapses when those comfortable at the top have no supporters and especially when everyone is legally ordered to be with luxury. You would need something to back it up.

Any person who really wants to solve these problems must go after energy companies and tech companies contracting teams of scientists and engineers on GOVERNMENT PAY to solve these problems with tech, not through class warfare and domination...
edit on 2014 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I could give a shirt!

Do you have numbers to support your assertions?

- The average length of time a participant stays on SNAP is nine months
- By education, about 28 percent of food stamp households are headed by a person with at least some college training, up from 8 percent in 1980. Among those with four-year college degrees, the share rose from 3 percent to 7 percent.
- Generally ABAWDS between 18 and 50 who do not have any dependent children can get SNAP benefits only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in a workfare or employment and training program other than job search.
- Only about 10 percent are in subsidized housing.
- Nearly half of SNAP participants are children and another 8 percent are elderly
- The average amount received per person from SNAP is $1.40 per meal.

source
source
source
source
source

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96
You lead off with some eugenics/social darwinism "social DE EVOLUTION program" BS and you get your panties in a bunch over an off the cuff remark about your gas mask? Pfft. Maybe you come out of the bunker and take a look around. Gee. What else is going on in this country?

Firstly, the very rich are getting richer faster than ever and everyone else is not.

By one measure, U.S. income inequality is the highest it’s been since 1928. In 1982, the highest-earning 1% of families received 10.8% of all pretax income, while the bottom 90% received 64.7%, according to research by UC-Berkeley professor Emmanuel Saez. Three decades later, according to Saez’ preliminary estimates for 2012, the top 1% received 22.5% of pretax income, while the bottom 90%’s share had fallen to 49.6%.

Wealth inequality is even greater than income inequality. NYU economist Edward Wolff has found that, while the highest-earning fifth of U.S. families earned 59.1% of all income, the richest fifth held 88.9% of all wealth.

Before accounting for taxes and transfers, the U.S. ranked 10th in income inequality; among the countries with more unequal income distributions were France, the U.K. and Ireland. But after taking taxes and transfers into account, the U.S. had the second-highest level of inequality, behind only Chile.

source
source 2

Why is this?

Automation / Computerization

In the 19th century, new manufacturing technology replaced what was then skilled labor. Somebody writing about the future of innovation then might have said skilled labor is doomed. In the second half of the 20th century, however, software technology took the place of median-salaried office work, which economists like David Autor have called the "hollowing out" of the middle-skilled workforce.

The first wave showed that machines are better at assembling things. The second showed that machines are better at organization things. Now data analytics and self-driving cars suggest they might be better at pattern-recognition and driving. So what are we better at?

source

Outsourcing / Offshoring

The year 1979 may very well have been the year when the middle-class in America had first began it's long decent into oblivion. According to a U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report, manufacturing in the U.S. peaked in 1979 when we had over 19.6 million manufacturing jobs in a labor force of 104.6 million. In 1979 manufacturing was 21.6% of all jobs. Now manufacturing is only 9,9% of jobs in America. Today we have 155.8 million in the labor force with 11.8 million workers unemployed. That's because manufacturing has left our shores, and it has been on a downward trend ever since --- with no end in sight.

source

The overseas relocation of manufacturing work predates by decades the recent wave of services
offshoring.9
Major U.S. companies, initially responding to heightened competition from Japanese
and European multinational corporations, opened facilities abroad during the 1970s and 1980s
that turned out goods formerly produced by comparatively well paid, often unionized U.S. factory
workers (e.g., assembly-line workers in the auto industry).

Taken together, these developments have allowed U.S.-based companies
to increasingly fragment tasks across borders in both manufacturing and information and
business services. Firms no longer just ship goods between countries. They can now also
locate intangible production tasks, such as research, design, management, and IT support
across a number of different countries.14
Relatedly, research suggests that the extension of task fragmentation to service activities accounts
for the greater relative contribution of offshoring to increased wage dispersion (inequality) in the
United States in recent decades.15 Technological change and deunionization appear to have
accounted for relatively more of the so-called polarization of wages16 that occurred during the
1980s and 1990s.

source

Wage Stagnation

One major factor contributing to income inequality: stagnant wages. For millions of workers, wages have flatlined. Take Caterpillar, long a symbol of American industry: while it reported record profits last year, it insisted on a six-year wage freeze for many of its blue-collar workers.

Wages have fallen to a record low as a share of America’s gross domestic product. Until 1975, wages nearly always accounted for more than 50 percent of the nation’s G.D.P., but last year wages fell to a record low of 43.5 percent. Since 2001, when the wage share was 49 percent, there has been a steep slide.

“We went almost a century where the labor share was pretty stable and we shared prosperity,” says Lawrence Katz, a labor economist at Harvard. “What we’re seeing now is very disquieting.” For the great bulk of workers, labor’s shrinking share is even worse than the statistics show, when one considers that a sizable — and growing — chunk of overall wages goes to the top 1 percent: senior corporate executives, Wall Street professionals, Hollywood stars, pop singers and professional athletes. The share of wages going to the top 1 percent climbed to 12.9 percent in 2010, from 7.3 percent in 1979.

source

Rich people don't actually create jobs, consumers do. Rich people just hoard money.

The prevailing story that justifies tax cuts for America's entrepreneurs and investors is that the huge pots of gold they take home are supposed to "trickle down" to the middle class and thus benefit everyone.

Unfortunately, that's not the way it actually works.

First, America's companies are currently being managed to share the least possible amount of their income with the employees who help create it. Corporate profit margins are at all-time highs, while wages are at an all-time low.

Second, as Hanauer observes, America's richest entrepreneurs, investors, and companies now have so much money that they can't possibly spend it all. So instead of getting pumped back into the economy, thus creating revenue and wages, this cash just remains in investment accounts.

Hanauer explains why.

Hanauer takes home more than $10 million a year of income. On this income, he says, he pays an 11% tax rate. (Presumably, most of the income is dividends and long-term capital gains, which carry a tax rate of about 20%. And then he probably has some tax shelters that knock the rate down the rest of the way).

With the more than $9 million a year Hanauer keeps, he buys lots of stuff. But, importantly, he doesn't buy as much stuff as would be bought if his $9 million were instead earned by 9,000 Americans each taking home an extra $1,000 a year

source
edit on 2014-5-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Does anybody know what type of animals?

Kuala bears? Or rabid dogs?

Is it really that offensive? Does anyone find it surprising coming from a politician who hasnt done a hard days work in her life. Who knows nothing at all about anything!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join