It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Dakota GOP Candidate Likens Food Stamp Recipients to Animals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This Lady is certainly worth a deeper look-see.

Last month, in front of a crowd of roughly 30 friends and supporters, Dr. Annette Bosworth announced her candidacy for US Senate at her family farm in Plankinton, South Dakota. Like many Republican Senate and House candidates, she is passionate about tax policy. "Never have a people been taxed as heavily as the American People and still called Free," Bosworth tweeted in July. Like so many Republicans, she has made the defunding and repeal of Obamacare her No. 1 issue. (She heads Meaningful Medicine, a private practice in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.)

But unlike most Republican candidates out there, Bosworth is apparently a fan of Argentine Marxist revolutionary leader Che Guevara.

GOP Senate Candidate Calls Marxist Revolutionary Che Guevara Her "Beacon," Is Fighting to Repeal Obamacare

I bet She's a ultra Liberal in disguise.

Hmmm.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

A Republican candidate for U.S. Senate compared food stamp recipients to wild animals in a Facebook post.

Candidate, eh? Well, I suppose that means when she loses this election in a spectacular way to ANYONE running against her, (I don't even know who..and unless they're more cold blooded..I don't care who), it won't be too big a loss. She was looking for a job when she applied to run for this one. She'll just move on to looking elsewhere. Good, too.

I don't know about calling the less fortunate within our nation animals...but I'd say it's safe to assume some animal control is needed in the South Dakota Senate Race. She could use some time in the pound, IMO.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
What a scumbag. So many of these heartless people in the GOP for some reason?

It would be pretty easy to change how our welfare systems are administered and look into what works and doesn't work as far as welfare and welfare fraud and getting people off of welfare. But...no I suppose it's just too easy to insult those who have less than you. Pathetic.
edit on 3-5-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

The fact remains that she did post a graphic that likens people who receive food stamps to animals and in doing so, implied her endorsement of its message. As I was careful to point out, this is not an isolated incident of an individual articulating herself poorly but is instead representative of a trend.

If you are aware of any evidence, beyond idle conjecture, supporting the proposition that social safety net programs foster dependency, please share. In my opinion, lacking this evidence, it's irresponsible and the absolute height of politicization for anyone to suggest that such a relationship exists. It serves little purpose aside from polarizing the public opinion.

Your communism innuendo seems to be either a clumsy attempt at setting up a false dichotomy or blatant hypocrisy given your later statement about ad hominem attacks being par for the course in US political debate. Communism is a failed ideology, dependent upon a flawed model of human behavior and I wouldn't consider it worthy of any serious consideration.

edit on 2014-5-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Really? That upsets you? It hurt your feelings?

That general comparison's been around the web for years, nothing new. And of course, people are trainable, like animals... People are animals... And Santa Claus isn't real...

What do you think the MSM does EVERY DAY? IT TRAINS YOU!
edit on 3-5-2014 by 11I1I1II1I111II because: wow

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

originally posted by: mikell
That's an old joke that's been out for ever and everybody laughs at it but knows theres a lot of truth behind it. I work and I would vote for her.

"i work" is that something t brag about now, do you wear that like a badge of honor?

does it make you think you are better than those that do not work for whatever reason?

I don't have any arguments with either side on this matter, but you just hit one of my buttons with this comment.

Yes, working should be worn like a badge of honor! Because it is. What made America great was people from all over the world whom wanted the opportunity to stand on there on two feet.

Alas, that's rarely the case anymore. Now days it seems that, if at first you don't succeed, give up there's programs to rely on.

Yes, the rich get richer, but this "for now" is the land of opportunity, and people can still make if they just show pride in chances given to them in life.

Maybe it's not the dreams one hoped for, but it's a life to be proud of because you did it on your own.

Driving a truck around the country wasn't my dream. I never wanted to be a dad who sees his kids one weekend a month, but my kids have what they need, without handouts, and i hold my head high, and am proud that i work hard.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

The fact remains that she did post a graphic that likens people who receive food stamps to animals and in doing so, implied her endorsement of its message. As I was careful to point out, this is not an isolated incident of an individual articulating herself poorly but is instead representative of a trend.

The fact remains she hit Like on something on facebook that she probablly chuckled at, thats the only fact you posted.

YOU didn't point out other incidencts with her.

What YOU did point out, was the fact that she said atleast it got people talking.

Where is this history of commentary?

Did you know, she is in fact a REPUBLICAN that is bucking the REP NORM?

That she was not an Incumbent, that she was a new comer.

An Established, well liked doctor?

Who among other things, treats the poor, goes to hati and gives away care?

No? You didn't

You Reactionary lumped her in with ALL Conservatives Reps.

You used ONE LIKE on face book, not something she said or Made, something she or a staffer hit LIKE over.

And Spoon after spoon, ate up the MSM drivel of the Right vs Left Divide.

As for the rest, It wasn't Innuendo, If you want to talk about Wealth Inequality and wealth redistribution than by all means lets.

Don't drape it in HELPING, and ATTACKING, that divides been done to death.

I am for Welfare, I am for helping, and I don't see her comments like you say they are. (sorry, WHAT THE MSM TELLS YOU THEY ARE)

I went and researched her, before I even commented on here.

Did you do the same?

ETA: The dem and rep shes running against with Contributions.

Rick Weiland (D)
Contributor Total
Plumbers/Pipefitters Union $10,000
South Dakota First PAC $10,000
Bullock & Haddow $5,700
Patton Boggs LLP $5,518
Hagens Berman Llp $5,200
Iapmo Group $5,200
Kilpatrick, Townsend & Stockton $5,200
Nutraclick LLC $5,200
Schooner Capital $5,200
Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $5,000
Laborers Union $5,000
Machinists/Aerospace Workers Union $5,000
National Education Assn $5,000
PAC for a Level Playing Field $5,000
Prairie PAC $5,000
Seacor Holdings $5,000
United Food & Commercial Workers Union $5,000
United Steelworkers $5,000
Sanford Health $3,950
Council for a Livable World $3,741

AND the REP shes running against.

Mike Rounds (R)
Contributor Total
Lawrence & Schiller $16,700
Fischer, Rounds & Assoc $16,300
Cancer Treatment Centers of America $15,100
Beef Products Inc $13,400
TCF Financial $12,500
Christen Group $12,000
Pete Lien & Sons $11,800
LG Everist Inc $11,400
Sanford Health $11,400
US Bancorp $10,600
Hanna Capital Management $10,400
Hubbard Broadcasting $10,400
PVS Chemicals $10,400
Sab Capital Management $10,400
Berkshire Hathaway $10,000
Bluegrass Cmte $10,000
Free State PAC $10,000
Freedom Project $10,000
Heartland Values PAC $10,000
Murray Energy $10,000
NextEra Energy $10,000
OrrinPAC $10,000
Promoting Our Republican Team PAC $10,000
Rushmore PAC $10,000
Valero Energy $10,000

And this Doctor we are discussing

Annette Bosworth (R)
Contributor Total
Nurv, Ltd $5,000
Base Connect $3,500
Beef Products Inc $2,600
Rod's Property Management $2,500
Pulmonary & Sleep Consultants PC $2,000
Sioux Falls Cardiovascular $2,000
Bearizona $1,780
James Valley Imaging $1,500
Base-Connect $1,000
Magnolia Metal Corp $1,000
Russell Regional Hospital $1,000
Sanford $1,000
Sanford Clinic $1,000
Sanford Health $1,000
Sanford Hospital $1,000
Sinclair Broadcast Group $1,000

That non-big money taking Scum bag.

edit on 3-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
S&F for the OP.

It's indeed a sad state of affairs when these stupid politicians trash talk the poor, most of who are working.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Yes any other questions.

a reply to: HanzHenry

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Yes any other questions.

a reply to: HanzHenry

so being someone that never served their country, never got injured in doing so is somehow prideful?

Everyone who never served in the military are FREELOADING off those that did serve. And every veteran that served is BETTER than anyone who did not.

The military is the only reason the US has anything. Those that duck out instead of serving should be forced to work and still obtain a lower quality of life than a veteran that doesn;t work

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Everyone who never served in the military are FREELOADING off those that did serve. And every veteran that served is BETTER than anyone who did not.

The military is the only reason the US has anything. Those that duck out instead of serving should be forced to work and still obtain a lower quality of life than a veteran that doesn;t work

I don't know.

I would argue that the People who refused, and I mean Actually refused to Fight over a moral objection.

Where far braver and better Americans, than those who joined, say out of lack of anything better to do...

Probably served the spirit of their nation far better.

Its all scales, and to see the world in such black and whites is childish.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: terriblyvexed

Alas, that's rarely the case anymore. Now days it seems that, if at first you don't succeed, give up there's programs to rely on.

Yes, the rich get richer, but this "for now" is the land of opportunity, and people can still make if they just show pride in chances given to them in life.

Maybe it's not the dreams one hoped for, but it's a life to be proud of because you did it on your own.

You say that you don't have any argument for one side of another and then IMMEDIATELY make a statement declaring your acceptance of the misconception of the lower income people as basically being lazy people who just don't try hard enough.

Why does it seem that way to you?

Hell even Fox News had this to say recently:

In a first, working-age people now make up the majority in U.S. households that rely on food stamps -- a switch from a few years ago, when children and the elderly were the main recipients.

Some of the change is due to demographics, such as the trend toward having fewer children. But a slow economic recovery with high unemployment, stagnant wages and an increasing gulf between low-wage and high-skill jobs also plays a big role. It suggests that government spending on the $80 billion-a-year food stamp program -- twice what it cost five years ago -- may not subside significantly anytime soon.

Food stamp participation since 1980 has grown the fastest among workers with some college training, a sign that the safety net has stretched further to cover America's former middle class, according to an analysis of government data for The Associated Press by economists at the University of Kentucky. Formally called Supplemental Nutrition Assistance, or SNAP, the program now covers 1 in 7 Americans.

The findings coincide with the latest economic data showing workers' wages and salaries growing at the lowest rate relative to corporate profits in U.S. history.

source - foxnews.com Jan, 2014

or how about this from the Washington Post

More recently, economists Peter Ganong and Jeffrey B. Liebman took a fresh look at the question in a NBER working paper and came to similar conclusions. They looked at the historical relationship between food-stamp enrollment and the economy prior to the most recent recession. When unemployment rose, food-stamp use always did too. And the current increase in food-stamp enrollment is in line with this historical pattern.

or this from the International Business Times

Let's ignore the magical thinking that is the idea that government can help people achieve financial independence by pushing them off the food-stamp rolls. The reason for the explosive growth in food stamps isn't fraud or a sense of entitlement, as conservative pundits have claimed. It's because people don't have enough money, and given the government's job forecasts, this is not a short-term trend. As for the belief, oft-repeated by conservatives, that the government plays no positive role in the lives of Americans, or their children, that's a canard.

You do realize that estimates indicate that more than half of people receiving food stamps work?

If there is any group in this country that is dependent on food stamps and other social safety nets, it's businesses that pay people less than a living wage and rely on tax payer funded programs to keep their employees from going hungry.
edit on 2014-5-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Just a note on the money part... While Republican Mike Rounds pretty well rounds out the race to bury everyone in money? Annette Bosworth handily buries the Democrat involved here and by a ratio working toward $2:$1 over him.

Source: Open Secrets

The Tabs across the top show each candidate broken down for major sources by name, sector and industry. The amounts change for who each favors to win...but the same people generally give money to everyone in an effort to support one above others while hedging against a bad outcome and "oops...we didn't give the winner ANYTHING?!".

Heck.. Splitting right from left these days is like removing stink from dog doo. They just seem mated, no matter how much one tries. So..we have to go by individuals. Individuals with the sincere opinions she has are not ones I have any desire to see sitting among the 100 in the Senate. Maybe the house in the far more energetic atmosphere of hundreds..but the Senators carry TOO much individual power to elect ignorance or arrogance when it's displayed prior to them even arriving, IMO. We generally expect it..after they get there.
edit on 3-5-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: edited thought

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

The comparison to animals holds up very nicely in one respect, unfortunately it's damning for the point of view expressed in this little poster.

You see, it's completely impossible for an animal to run a farm or get a job and buy a meal- even if it were possible for them, their ability to do so would be subject to our approval and we would not be fast to give it. So when hungry, if there isn't food just laying around, they'll go kill a fellow living thing to get by.

The same would absolutely be true of me if I were on food stamps. You can't just start a farm or raise cattle anymore- government snipers will come take it away from you unless they get money before you get to eat. So if I was starving and given no possibility of supporting myself within society, whether by working or by being assisted as I have always assisted others by the taxes that I have paid, bet your bottom dollar that I would prey upon society. I'd eat the rich and start working my way down the ladder until somebody killed me.

It sounds wrong now, sure, because we can do better. But that was perfectly normal before we were civilized, and will be perfectly normal again if you won't help your brother when he is need like a civilized person. It's still normal for animals. So yeah, treat the poor like animals, kick them out of society- no harm done from where I sit in the working class- it's the fat and the old- the ruling class in our society- who predators always go for.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

yet my VA pension got a cut?

I Notice the Army, or Veteran thing keeps coming up on here as well.

And since we are taking FACEBOOK likes and blowing them to monumental proportion...

DO you believe the stones on this women, THE CRAP she is saying.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

My comment isn't about the morals asked in the OP.

It's about the lack of pride in ones self worth, spurred by your "badge of honor" statement.

If people still believed that they hold the key to their futures, and don't look at those who made it as, people holding them down, then the welfare state wouldn't even be an issue.

Americans once had pride in every thing they did, and didn't give up when things didn't go their way.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
She sounds like a stuck-up, self-righteous, self-serving bitch to me. However, she also sounds like she’s right in step with the rest of her party. It kills me how people like this get any votes at all. Unfortunately, though, they often get elected.

It also makes me wonder about the people who support these candidates, giving them their money and misguided votes. Is it that they are mentally challenged, anti-American, sadistic and filled with hatred, greedy or suffering from some severe mental disorder? How can people be so lacking of compassion for the plight of those less fortunate? It feels like our society has been sucked into some kind of super massive self-serving blackhole. Caring and empathy may enter the blackhole, but can never escape to be felt again.

Sorry, dumb analogy... Anyway, the remark Bosworth made reminds me of another brain-dead politician I heard on the news one night who was remarking on the 47% “taker” class that Mitt Romney referred to during the last presidential election. She felt nothing but contempt for those who relied on government entitlements in order to survive. It was beyond her comprehension that some American citizens may be trying very hard to make ends meet, but for one reason or another are unable to and need assistance. She did not hesitate to brand them as “dead weight” and of no value to society. And to think, we elect these criminals!!

Anyway, I think it’s sad that politics has descended to the depths that it has. Something has gone terribly wrong with our thinking these days. We’ve lost all sense of perspective, fairness and what’s morally right and wrong. As a nation we’ve allowed ourselves to become brainwashed by these monsters and turned into mindless, obedient, sacrificial lambs willing to cheerfully do their dirty work, even as it works against our own best interests.

Go figure...

PS: Sometimes I have to wonder about the ages of some of the posters around here who are quick to judge others, even quicker to pronounce sentence upon them, and who show absolutely no understanding or conception of the challenges of adult living and the often precarious positions we find ourselves in. All I can say is, when you grow up you'll find that life is sometimes unfair, and it will present you with events and situations completely beyond your control. You never know what tomorrow might bring. Who knows? One day you may find yourself having to eat some of those harsh words you've used so contemptuously against others. No one's bullet proof, and no one's too big to fall...

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

The fact remains she hit Like on something on facebook that she probablly chuckled at, thats the only fact you posted.

YOU didn't point out other incidencts with her.

What YOU did point out, was the fact that she said atleast it got people talking.

Where is this history of commentary?

Did you know, she is in fact a REPUBLICAN that is bucking the REP NORM?

That she was not an Incumbent, that she was a new comer.

An Established, well liked doctor?

Who among other things, treats the poor, goes to hati and gives away care?

No? You didn't

You Reactionary lumped her in with ALL Conservatives Reps.

You used ONE LIKE on face book, not something she said or Made, something she or a staffer hit LIKE over.

And Spoon after spoon, ate up the MSM drivel of the Right vs Left Divide.

You're misrepresenting a few things. I read through several articles before I found her own comments which I presented.

"Was it a crude statement to begin the conversation? Yes, and if that's what it takes to begin the conversation, so be it,"

There's no Ron/Rand Paulesque transference of blame to a subordinate so that somewhat invalidates the staffer hypothesis.

It did ruffle some feathers. It did stimulate all the way to the Washington Post, but that's good

So obviously she's not backing away from the comparison so I don't think I'm being unfair and though she didn't make the image or author the original statement, she intended to promote the comparison. That's not open for debate unless you're asserting that she was lying in her own comments?

I used what she said — as she claims that it was intended to be used — to start a conversation about what I see as a common thread among conservatives. I could more readily accept your criticism if I had excerpted the first paragraph or two from the first article with a link. You're also ignoring that I was using the story as an example of what is but the latest in a series of similar incidences of the poor being compared to animals.

If it makes you feel any better, you can pretend that when I called her a creature, I was actually just comparing her to wildlife in a national park.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: terriblyvexed

My comment isn't about the morals asked in the OP.

It's about the lack of pride in ones self worth, spurred by your "badge of honor" statement.

If people still believed that they hold the key to their futures, and don't look at those who made it as, people holding them down, then the welfare state wouldn't even be an issue.

Americans once had pride in every thing they did, and didn't give up when things didn't go their way.

You're not actually responding to what I said (I didn't make the badge of honor statement) but that's okay. Again, you're operating under the assumption that being poor is a result of giving up and lacking pride. You just breezed past the part where over half the people receiving food stamps ARE THE WORKING POOR. WORKING. THEY HAVE J-O-B-S

Maybe the real problem is your lack of pride in your fellow Americans simply because they're struggling to get by?

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Left out something didn't you? She has raised far more than what you have posted.
South Dakota Senate Race

Annette Bosworth (R)
Raised: $1,137,869
Spent: $789,436 Cash on Hand: $348,432
Last Report: March 31, 2014

Small Contributions $811,768
Large Contributions $307,674
PAC contributions $6,000
Candidate self-financing $12,426

Thanks to the new ruling by the Supreme court big money can make as many small contributions they like. So yes she can still be a big money taking scum bag she's just taking it a little bit at a time.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join