It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Matter of Faith: New movie by Answers in Genesis

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

When world views collide, sometimes it becomes A Matter of Faith

Answers in Genesis has made their own MOVIE!!!

To be in theatres Sep. 26.

Rachel Whitaker, a Christian girl, heads off to college for her much-anticipated freshman year. New friends create situations that require important, quick decisions—some about her social life, some about her core beliefs! Rachel begins to embrace the ideas of the university’s immensely popular biology professor (Harry Anderson) who boldly teaches that Darwinian evolution is the only logical explanation for the origin of life, and the Bible therefore cannot be true. When Rachel’s father (Jay Pickett) senses something changing in his daughter while she is home on a weekend visit; he begins to look into the situation and what he discovers catches him completely off guard. Now very concerned about Rachel drifting away from her Christian faith and the clear teachings of the Bible, he accepts an impossible challenge and tries to do something about it!

Here's the trailer:

Guess they're kicking their vitriol and bite-back up a notch.

If you'd like to sponsor the movie, or learn how to get your community to show it, you can sign up on their page (link above).

These people are whining about Tyson every single week after Cosmos airs - and while losing funding for their Noah Amusement Park, they're spending money on film-making??

I wonder how much of an embarrassment to Christianity and modern knowledge they will allow themselves to get.

Would you all go see this flick?

Have you seen the other bevy of films? God's not Dead, Noah, and the others?

I haven't, but I have to say all the ruckus is pretty amusing.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
the revenue streams and power bases that might collapse without the illusions....
so more illusions

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

The vast majority of audiences will be people who already believe.
edit on 3-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Like those whose churches had 'Nye vs Ham Debate Night' at their locations of worship.
Still, at least it gave them the other side of the issue to think about. I've heard that entire congregations left with silence and gloom after watching it.

Even though Nye dresses funny, his tie was crooked, and he's a bit nerdy....the looks on his face while listening to Ham's nonsense were priceless. Baffled and amazed are the words that come to mind.

edit on 5/3/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Would you all go see this flick?
Sure, why not? Opinions are to be shared, not hidden away and ignored.

Im not a big fan of the Bible. Oh, its not about it being the word of God or not. Its about how it is all taken out of context. Are many of the passages "Divinely" inspired? No doubt. Are just as many passages inspired by more negative powers? No doubt.

For myself, personally, I think history is a blending of creationism, and evolution.

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg? Neither, the inspiration to have both, must come first.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I just watched the trailer again.
Seems the idea sprang from the debate (Nye v Ham) itself -

also - does anyone else notice how much the young actress looks like Kirsten Dunst did at that age? Spitting image of her!

I can just imagine the ending....

how do you all think it will go??? (The finale of the movie, that is)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Nice to see anti-intellualism is thriving! Sure, science is just a 'viewpoint' like the Creationist guys says in the trailer - they probably say the Theory of Evolution is 'just a theory' too.

It's so hard to understand why these ideas still get air-time in the USA. Western superpower and technological frontrunner still giving Creationism a hearing! WTF?

I'm not knocking a belief in gods or God here but it was the application of science that gave these guys the internet, cameras and cinema - God didn't 'create' those things. No magic necessary. They'll happily use all the goodies designed and built according to scientific principles and then refuse to trust the Science that has proven a billions of years old universe and evolution on this planet.

Do they still think angels are pushing planets around in space?? Do they believe cars are powered by cherubim?!

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: All Seeing Eye

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

They evolved simultaneously.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Science isn't even much of choice IMO.

Compared to the records that have become scripture?
Written by the hand of scribes, who took their work so seriously.
They would ritually bathe and put on fresh clothing, before writing
God or Lord Or Jesus. Make a mistake? Go bathe again scrap the
chapter and start over. The truth recorded in antiquity by men
who were there and lived it.

Or science, that by it's own admission, changes and adds new things
in constant trial and error, by men who for all anyone can really tell?
Could just be spreading the lies they themselves have been told.
Lies that just happen to discredit Gods word. The fact that science
even endeavors slightly in Bible bashing and God hate? Is an obsurdity
by it's own protocols and three hundred years? Doesn't even put it
near puberty. Shouldn't even be a choice, but it is.

edit on Rpm50314v592014u06 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Hiya Randy, good to see ya

Nobody knows if Genesis is 'God's word' and the odds strongly favour it being the words of mortal men. Even if God existed and dictated Genesis, it's still hearsay. The irony I was pointing out was how the Creationists are selective about which part of science to declaim. The same scientific principles, Laws and methodologies that led to the media of their movie (production, promotion etc) were used to define the Theory of Evolution.

Regarding your other comments, we'll smile and disagree. I'd sooner have science changing and evolving like everything else than favour something that's frozen in the past and well out of date like the Old Testament.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

It would make a good comedy.

I watched the trailer and even the parts that I assume were meant to be oh ahh moments were almost painfully absurd.

I am sometimes astounded at the fact that there are people in this day and age that reject scientific certainties in favor of ancient mythology that is no more plausible than any other ancient mythology regarding the origin of species or life.

I have been watching the Vikings show the season just ended it was pretty good, there is a priest who struggles with Christian faith vs the Norse faith from my standpoint it is pretty interesting. Just FYI in Norse mythology humans came from the sweat of some animal. I am willing to bet most Christians would say that is just dumb now clay on the other hand....yada yada.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It's totally okay to believe in God and or live spiritual life. I do. But it's quite another thing to scoff at science because a book written thousands of years ago says so. It's also okay to question evolution or science. We need those questions...what about this... what about that ...why are those whale fossils there ...why is carbon dating accurate, explain to be the expanding universe theory etc. But to just say that science is wrong in a blanket statement is beyond stupid. So too, is the atheist that rails against anyone believing in god and calling them stupid because of lack of proof...just saying, but that is a whole other debate.

The real problem with the answers in Genesis peeps is that they are just anti science and close minded and brainwashed. They kind of sicken me. They won't answer any serious questions or debate point by point. I got over Christianity a long time ago after really reading the bible and after seeing how Christians really treat people and how churches as a whole really don't care about anything in or on this earth except their own congregations. Sickening.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?

They evolved simultaneously.
Anyone else ever notice how "Technology" seems to evolve from one stage to the next? It didn't evolve spontaneously, it follows simple logical steps, one before the other, then after, another one. Then combined, you have a car, a plane, a computer etc. But at the core of these evolutionary steps, you have the creator of the step. I just have this sneaky feeling, bio life forms work the same way...... One after the other............

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't understand why it's such a big issue to be; for one, questioning ones OWN personal faith when they grow up, and two, being a christian and studying the works of nature, which is pretty much driven by evolution.

A few years back when I was heavily into the whole era when christian fundi's flooded the internet and took over the Texas school system I would go from video, to video on youtube, AronRa, Thunderf00t, etc. and just argue with these people. It died down over time when the head of it all VenomfangX Ken Ham and Kent Hovind's lead internet goon was pretty much broken down to nothing. But now this? When will people give up... you can only ignore science so much and it's getting pretty ridiculous and a out right joke.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It's worth keeping our options open and accepting that, as a species, we've still got a lot to learn. I'm not sure if you're hedging towards Intelligent Design and won't argue against the concept beyond saying it doesn't appeal to me although it did when I was younger.

In regards to lifeforms evolving, I've often wondered if our grand ambitions to reach other planets are really an expression of Life's hankering to fill every niche and perpetuate itself.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

In regards to lifeforms evolving, I've often wondered if our grand ambitions to reach other planets are really an expression of Life's hankering to fill every niche and perpetuate itself.

We as a species have always had this 'instinct' to wander, it's what we did for most of our evolution, it's only been rather recently that we settle in one spot, usually it's for survival. I think our goals for exploration are just some sort of old genetics in us, making us curious, it's how we learned, by repeating, and being curious. Over time intelligence and teaching our children, passing on knowledge, etc has made us as a social species thrive, and we know that space exploration can be beneficial in the long run for survival, also, we just wanna know what the hell is up there, once again curious we are.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I suspect that's just how we rationalise what's possibly a hard-wired genetic imperative.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Right now, in today's world, if you want to make money, you latch on to something for the radical religious right to grab hold of to use to justify their screaming. If you make it big enough and flashy enough, they'll pay whatever you want them to pay. Countless corporations and platforms have taken advantage of it and they'll continue to take advantage of it as long as there is money to be made.

In my own view, it devalues actual belief in God and an understanding of faith. The "Christian" gets painted as an extremist psycho and the entire faith of Christianity suffers because of it. Because of this movement, Christianity will be set back at least 1000 years or more just because people don't want to try to think independently or critically. It's so much easier to grab onto something that requires no thought at all and clings to the idea that "faith is the answer to everything" so you aren't required to actually think on your own.

That's not what Christ was about and he's been distorted and twisted to the point that only the highly ignorant voice their allegiance and anyone with intelligence and the ability to think doesn't bother saying anything so they won't be put into the same category with the others. It's a shame.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JacobsLadder

The "Christian" gets painted as an extremist psycho and the entire faith of Christianity suffers because of it. Because of this movement, Christianity will be set back at least 1000 years or more just because people don't want to try to think independently or critically. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is, indeed, a shame.

Not to mention "ridiculous", as in "worthy of ridicule".

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
From the beginning when man first created gods education and reason have been a thorn in the side of religious zealotry. When fundamentalists teach people outright falsehoods under the guise of religious truth, then as these people are exposed to education, they begin to lose faith when the cognitive dissonance gets too great..
It's getting harder and harder to keep the masses willfully ignorant as people become more knowledgeable about their world. This is why they turn the voting and comments off on their youtub videos, they need to keep the remaining believers in the dark in an echo chamber.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join