It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming Round the Mountain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I was thinking about ancient knowledge passed down through Folk songs and legends. The 12 days of Christmas comes to mind. I may do a whole thread on that (if it hasn't been done yet). The song at hand has some very interesting lyrics.

The song

"She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain" (also sometimes called simply "Coming 'Round the Mountain") is a traditional African-American folk song often categorized as children's music. It is a derivation of a "spiritual" song known as "When the Chariot Comes".

O, who will drive the chariot When she comes? O, who will drive the chariot When she comes? O, who will drive the chariot, O, who will drive the chariot, O, who will drive the chariot When she comes?
King Jesus, he'll be driver when she comes, When she comes . . . .
She'll be loaded with bright Angels When she comes . . . .
She will neither rock nor totter, When she comes . . . .
She will run so level and steady, When she comes . . . .
She will take us to the portals, When she comes . . . .

Changed to:
She'll be ridin' six white horses when she comes, etc.
Oh we'll all come out to meet her when she comes, etc.
She'll be carring three white puppies when comes etc.
We will kill the old red rooster when she comes, etc.

en.wikipedia.org...

The cult statue was brought to Rome by the Emperor Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, who before his accession was the hereditary high priest at Emesa and is commonly called Elagabalus after the deity.[3] The Syrian deity was assimilated with the Roman sun god known as Sol Invictus ("the Undefeated Sun").[4]
A temple called the Elagabalium was built on the east face of the Palatine Hill, to house the holy stone of the Emesa temple, a black conical meteorite.[5] Herodian writes of that stone:
This stone is worshipped as though it were sent from heaven; on it there are some small projecting pieces and markings that are pointed out, which the people would like to believe are a rough picture of the sun, because this is how they see them.[6]

edit on 3 5 2014 by zardust because: (no reason given)

edit on 3 5 2014 by zardust because: (no reason given)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sat May 3 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS, trimmed quote

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Dogs have occupied a powerful place in Mesoamerican folklore and myth since at least the Classic Period right through to modern times.[1] A common belief across the Mesoamerican region is that a dog carries the newly deceased across a body of water in the afterlife. Dogs appear in underworld scenes painted on Maya pottery dating to the Classic Period and even earlier than this, in the Preclassic, the Chupicaro buried dogs with the dead.[2] In the great Classic Period metropolis of Teotihuacan, 14 human bodies were deposited in a cave, most of them children, together with the bodies of three dogs to guide them on their path to the underworld.[3]

The dog is sometimes depicted carrying a torch in the surviving Maya codices, which may be a reference to the Maya tradition that the dog brought fire to mankind.[9]

en.wikipedia.org...

Since antiquity the rooster has been, and still is, a sacred animal in some cultures[10] and deeply embedded within various religious belief systems and religious worship. The term "Persian bird" for the cock would appear to been given by the Greeks after Persian contact "because of his great importance and his religious use among the Persians",[11] but even long before that time, in Iran, during the Kianian Period, from about 2000 B.C. to about 700 B.C., “the cock was the most sacred”[12]

"The sacrifice of a cock and a ritual cockfight was part of the Imbolc festivities in honour of the pan-Celtic goddess Brighid".[25] In the 20th century, Imbolc was resurrected as a religious festival in Neopaganism, specifically in Wicca, Neo-druidry and Celtic Reconstructionism.[26][27]

The lore of the True Shepherd of Anu(SIPA.ZI.AN.NA - Orion and his accompanying animal symbol, the Rooster, with both representing the herald of the gods, being their divinely ordained role to communicate messages of the gods.[29] "The Heavenly Shepherd" or "True Shepherd of Anu" - Anu being the chief god of the heavenly realms.[30] On the star map the figure of the Rooster was shown below and behind the figure of the True Shepherd, both representing the herald of the gods, in his bird and human forms respectively.[31]

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sat May 3 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS, trimmed quote

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: zardust

I like this the way traditions survive, as you say the basis for much of this is the Babylonian Akitu Festival of the New Year, but there were older such as at Uruk when 'she' would arrive on 'the ship of Heaven' rather than a chariot or horses.

The dog as representing Sirius, the faithful companion did have the sense of guide through the underworld, but then also back into life, the star was that of the physicians and sacred midwifes, Gula and Nin-isin in Sumeria, Isis in Egypt, Ixchel for the Mayans.

The walking bird seen behind Orion perhaps became a rooster, but in Sumeria it had been the Francolin Partridge, the symbolism of it's colours black with a red band and speckled white as the stars, the colours of the Annunaki, see here.

Of course with comparative religion comes much confusion over distances of time and place, but it is possible to realize the original intent, read the signs of the times.

edit on Kam531122vAmerica/ChicagoSaturday0331 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reading this caused me to spend the last hour trying to find the source of dogs in Mesoamerica. So far, the best I got is the Wiki on it, just stating that they show up around 1200bc.

Their esoteric relationship to the east is obvious, but they were also a valuable food source and were fattened on maize.

Does anyone have any information on how dogs were introduced into the Americas?

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kantzveldt

I like this the way traditions survive, as you say the basis for much of this is the Babylonian Akitu Festival of the New Year, but there were older such as at Uruk when 'she' would arrive on 'the ship of Heaven' rather than a chariot or horses.

The dog as representing Sirius, the faithful companion did have the sense of guide through the underworld, but then also back into life, the star was that of the physicians and sacred midwifes, Gula and Nin-isin in Sumeria, Isis in Egypt, Ixchel for the Mayans.

The walking bird seen behind Orion perhaps became a rooster, but in Sumeria it had been the Francolin Partridge, the symbolism of it's colours black with a red band and speckled white as the stars, the colours of the Annunaki, see here.

Of course with comparative religion comes much confusion over distances of time and place, but it is possible to realize the original intent, read the signs of the times.

I like your take on this...bump to the op as well

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
reading this caused me to spend the last hour trying to find the source of dogs in Mesoamerica. So far, the best I got is the Wiki on it, just stating that they show up around 1200bc.

Their esoteric relationship to the east is obvious, but they were also a valuable food source and were fattened on maize.

People in North America were breeding—and eating—domestic dogs as early as 9,400 years ago, according to new analysis of a bone fragment discovered in a Texas cave.

link to Nat Geo News source

EDIT:

Also

When the first Americans arrived in the New World at least 12,000 years ago, these hunter-gatherers brought domesticated dogs with them, UCLA evolutionary biologists and colleagues reported in the Nov. 22 issue of the journal Science.

The international team of scientists used molecular genetic techniques to analyze mitochondrial DNA from ancient bones of dogs from archaeological sites across Latin America and Alaska pre-dating Columbus' journey to America.

link to UCLA Newsroom source
edit on 2014-5-3 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Outstanding. thank you. Those links look to have the stuff I can sift through in the evening while ignoring whatever it is my wife is watching.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt

Well my two examples may be linked then! A partridge in a pear tree, is Hat-Hor Meri(house of Horus), Bird in the tree (of life), Or Jesus in Mary.

I was hoping you'd find this and give your insight. I knew the festival would peak your interest

Is your avatar an ibis?

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Ibis i dunno could be i guess, but the Akitu Festival itself which is heavily involved with the arrival of Nabu the Mercurial scribe, equivalent of Thoth for the Semites, would in earlier Sumerian times have been Nisaba, daughter of Anu and Urash, sister of Nin-Isin, holder of the sapphire tablet upon which all destinies and accounts were determined and the Heavens illustrated, a much more interesting figure, she reads both the prologue and epilogue as far as our civilization goes, and the Divine Architect and Mathamatician.

Hymn to Nisaba A

Nisaba

Her daughter was Ezina Goddess of grain;

Sumerian grain Goddess

Lady coloured like the stars of heaven, holding a lapis-lazuli tablet! Nisaba, great wild cow born by Urash , wild sheep nourished on good milk among holy alkaline plants, opening the mouth for seven ...... reeds! Perfectly endowed with fifty great divine powers, my lady, most powerful in E-kur!

Dragon emerging in glory at the festival

In a sense she is that Angel seen at the end of time in the Book of Revelations that declares 'time no more', that would be her function, which she did at the close and onset of every New year of course also, so the context of your hymn requires this

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I'm glad this old folk song got ya thinking, and hunting down a rabbit trail.

new topics

top topics

join