It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ghost in the machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I've been wanting to bring this up, and I guess was spurred by the thread on AI potentially taking out humanity...

Does anyone else get the feeling at times like your computer has it's own mind??

I mean, the kinds of bugs my computer does at times is freaky- synchronicity abounds. Now that I have an android (with which I am connected to Internet) I am finding the same kinds of weird stuff going on.

My son tells me that our home phone called him one night, (while I was thinking of him) and when he picked it up, the line went dead.
I was not in the house with our phone, but in a separate building next to it. I did not call him.

Three times I have had a video suddenly begin to play on my phone without my manipulating it- I suddenly start to hear the sound of my grandaughter talking, to find a video I took of her is playing. The last time this happened, Later I got a call from her mom , saying she had been begging to talk to me, and that she wanted to see me.

I have actually begun to just assume that when my phone automatically brings up a video of her and starts playing it, it is because she wants me to get in touch. The association just started to form without thinking too much about it.... I just realized one day that I am leanign on that wierd "bug" in my phone to get the message from a three year old many hours away.

My computer will freeze up or my browser suddenly close, when I am bout to look at subjects that are not good for me to see at this time (according to my own judgement later, of course. Concluding that if I had read/seen something I would have made a different choice than I did, and it would have been a wrong one).

I just have been sort of surprised that I have slowly begun to form a reaction with my computer and phone which is as if a consciousness is able to express itself through it. My consciousness... that of others...

I wonder if we can slowly begin to project ourselves into these devices we use and rely upon all day?

I have wondered in the past the same thing about objects like cars.
edit on 3-5-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I once composed an email to a Spiritualist group after I had weeks of strange occurrences in my house and needed some advice (light bulbs smashing, electronic toys moving across the room)

The email failed to send after four times of trying it kept bouncing back. It was the only email to bounce back like that!

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
A few weeks back I was woken up by my apartment doorbell, at 8am on the weekend (strange in itself)
I opened the door to find nobody standing there. There is a long passage leading up to my apartment, so if someone were to walk/run to or from it, I would hear or see them.

I closed the door and couldn't have walked 2m away from it when the doorbell rang again. I quickly backtracked and check to see who it was, through the peephole. There was nobody there and no sound of footsteps in the corridor. I even opened the door to have a look around.
Just to be clear, it is not possible for someone to have hidden themselves or escaped in time, especially without being heard.
It has never happened before, nor has it happened since.

Ghosts manipulating machines, or ghosts in machines?
edit on 3-5-2014 by Bagel because: grammar

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I'm an IT Tech and time after time they'll tell me that it was playing up, but I can find nothing wrong.

I leave the building and someone comes running out after me saying "it's doing it again".

So I go back in and every thing checks out OK again.

You'd swear that they knew I was there and didn't play up.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Good idea and entertainig read. I also share this opinion. I think if we learn to use technology in an exclusively good way, maybe in the future, just by thought process we could transmit information to our computers or other futuristic device, and everything our brains thought(art, music, create a movie, etc..) would be created in real-time and exactly how our brains visualize it, without the need of using external software, just brain power. That would be very nice..

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Interesting regionalism... "play up." In the U.S. it's "act up."

But on topic, I've had some weird coincidences with my Android... I accept it was "pocket dialing" with one of the strangest incidents... it had to be caused by contact with fabric, but the phone searched the web and connected to a site precisely about the weird, paranormal subject we were talking about... and the voice recognition/operation app was turned off... how my shirt pressed the right letters, in order, and then searched and connected to a site exactly relating to our discussion about an obscure subject is beyond me.

Also, I've reached for it to text someone and found it prompted and ready to go... which isn't nearly as weird, though the folks involved weren't my latest contacts and it only happens with two of them.

But I know invisible beings exist, so it isn't out of the question that these incidents are paranormal, just unlikely.

It's long been thought "spirits" can manipulate electricity more easily than regular matter... and there are many stories about people having odd encounters with their electronics... I knew one person who was convinced their pc was possessed by a dead friend because of notes that would appear in their word program with no easy explanation.

It seems ignorant and stupid to people who haven't had weird experiences... but odd stuff happens ... and sometimes it happens with electronics.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Having worked with electronics for years there is a certain synchronicity with how they act up.

Shipboard on the USS Coontz we had one crypo tech inevitably before he went on vacation his equipment would go batty. It had to work before he go. So for three days before he working on it constantly. Other than that it didn't break.

Testing cell phones I was playing with one while my other one was getting upgraded. In about 5 minutes I broke the software. The owner of the phone said he had used it for the past month with no issues. Some times the problems follow the person.

Look at it this way. It's Murphys law in action. Some times Murphy works real bad magic.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

My personal view of the Universe has a lot of room for psi phenomena. The ol' Force of Star Wars, both good,evil and some times relatively harmless and random. When the world was 100% mechanical (no electricity) the displays of that stuff was the property of wizards and witches. But with electronics that developed and the increasing ability of them to get actions done with smaller and smaller amounts of energy, I'm thinking that psi phenomena and actual events may be more easily triggered by wishing, wanting, intending, willing and needing than ever before. New ideas that the Universe is nothing more than a quantum intelligence (computer) seems to explain it all. Occasionally, itt simply has glitches too.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

All of this is not as crazy as it sounds. A Simple example, Your IR (infrared Sensor) on your TV remote, sends a wireless code, a simple "switch" algorithm to change a setting.

that "Psi" phenomena - as Nokia Tesla said - “If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.” - That should clue in - everything is interconnected or twined somehow regardless. Clockwork.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
I once composed an email to a Spiritualist group after I had weeks of strange occurrences in my house and needed some advice (light bulbs smashing, electronic toys moving across the room)

The email failed to send after four times of trying it kept bouncing back. It was the only email to bounce back like that!

I have heard of cases of hauntings by entities in which these beings actually hinder any attempts to eradicate them or to educate oneself on just what they are. Strange stuff if true, and I am thinking that it is, as I have had many paranormal experiences. Well maybe 5 at the most, lol. Anyway, regarding the initial thread, some say that your thoughts can manifest in various ways into the physical world.

This idea is not as preposterous as it may sound to some, but there is nothing to really suggest that this is really occurring. It is possible, even if unlikely, that the things you've experienced were coincidental. But that is hard to swallow. I like the conclusion drawn in M. Peck's book from the 70's entitled "A Road Less Travelled." He was a psychiatrist who stated that there appears to be some non-physical force that actually attempts to help people grow spiritually. It is termed "grace" in a religious sense, and involves synchronicity in some instances. Some instances of synchronicity are simply coincidence, but in cases like yours this may not be the case.

His conclusion was that there is some higher power working in the lives of people, IF they have not closed off such avenues through biased beliefs. I definitely think this is a possibility. I believe in a higher power myself, whatever that may be, even if all strange phenomena could be explained scientifically. My lights just flickered as I was typing this, which I cannot remember having happened in a long time. Dun dun dun. That is an example of what I'm talking about. It really did happen. In a case like that it is most likely coincidence. It is when you start getting strings of such occurrences that you start to wonder whether something is going on beyond just coincidence.

top topics

join