It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic The Gathering: Discussion, Challenges and all things Magic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I recently got back into Magic in the past few months... I used to play when I was younger...

It is probably one of the Best games ever made in my humble opinion... Its like Chess with way more pieces..

Quite literally the Original Fantasy card game!

Anyways... Im sure theres plenty of members who also love MTG... and play with their friends, perhaps even online...

I wanted to make a thread on the game so we have a place to discuss all things Magic...

Here you can issue a challenge to another member... Discuss strategies in your decks... or even trade with another member...

Perhaps you could tell the community what your favorite element is for starters... or even talk about the upcoming addition to the online game...

My name in Magic online is the same as it is here if anyone wants to play a round or two... my decks aren't great but I still love to play

Personally I am a big fan of the death cards... in almost any combination of the other colours...

I'll also say that the planeswalker cards Piss me off... LOL Maybe because I don't have any yet...

Discussion open for all to join

edit on 2-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon
About 13 years ago when I was in my late teens my friend tried to get me to play mtg. I was also trying to learn the star wars ccg as well. never really got into either except as far as collecting about 8000 star wars ccg cards just for the collection value. I recently downloaded the plainswalker game on my ps3. Still trying to get the hang of it though.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I'm a closet player. I say "closet" because, when people who know what I do for a living and my spiritual path finds out, they invariably say "go figure" and roll their eyes. I sort of keep all my fictional fantasy stuff "in the closet" because it sort of gives people preconceptions that are not true.

Magic the Gathering is seriously one of the deepest and most fun games I've ever played. Strategies are endless and most of that strategy is used before you even play the game. I don't play the Magic Online game but I do play the Duels of the Planeswalkers on PS3. Most Magic elitists hate it because it's actually fun and shows a new person how to play well so... of course egoist nerds are going to hate it. They are promising FULLY customizable decks in the 2015 version so it's definitely getting improved.

Surprised to see a thread on this. Fun!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DilligafMisfit

The planeswalker game on PC is what got me back into the game... Unfortunately that game is extremely limited because you can only use the decks you're provided with unless you buy the expansion which really doesn't add much more to it...

Its quite easy to get the hang of the game though... I would actually suggest you get Magic Online IF you really want to get into the game... theres thousands of cards you can use...

It actually uses every card save about 900 or so which works out to be about 20k cards at your disposal...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

The question you should ask yourself brother is as follows...

Who gives a flying F*** what anyone thinks?

The game is awesome... I even went to Wallymart and picked up a deck builders kit just so I could play with the real cards... In the hopes that maybe I could find a friend or two that still has their cards from back in the day

And I did... but I still haven't played a real game yet...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   

great topic! I got into magic when I was a young teenager...Magic had essentially just come out I think...I remember playing with like beta cards or soemthing...in fact me and my buddy bought some packs without understanding the rules...we tried making a tiny deck cause we had so few cards and we only had like 3 land between us haha...we realized our mistake right away. We played for years and still play online....although I have moved on to chess, hearstone, and scrolls...I dabbled a bit with soleforge but wasnt impressed with that one. You should look into Hearthstone if you havent..its free and done by blizzard...

Magic online is good but I hate how the cards like recycle and then to play in the non classic games you need newer cards..which I understand...keeps you buying..but thats why I stop playing there and hop back on every year or so...I sell all my cards then buy all the new stuff out.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Loved the Gathering when I was a teen in the early 90's I think. Alpha, Beta, and revised.

A few years ago I sold 4/or 5 of my complete sets for several hundred bucks. No one to play with, and I'm pretty sure that the ones who still played in my city were vigins, pedophiles, or had a serious malfunction in their life. It was very discouraging, like my teens years. Most didn't talk, or mumbles in high pitched squeaks or giggles.. Very disturbing. No offense OP

I fill my daily extra time with more profitable and meaningful things now, like career and family.
And especially KittyKats, Hehehe

I do miss it though.
edit on 2-5-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

You may end up regretting selling older cards...

I recently read a story that said, a card from one of the earlier sets sold for $24,000 dollars

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

You may end up regretting selling older cards...

I recently read a story that said, a card from one of the earlier sets sold for $24,000 dollars

Hahaha.... There was a thread last winter about Magic Cards, and my very first regret was to put them in my baseball card collection of the 80's n 90's. Damn shame, the black lotus card is the rarest, had two...That card is the rarest, I believe. Btw, S&F. Loved that game till the girls in the Neighborhood hit puberty, lol

The last set I sold was in Amchorage for 200$, I needed it to for my gas to keep a job, it did break my heart. I don't even want to know what it was worth. I had to do, what I had to do.

I would have sold my ass on Spenard, or 4th avenue for petrol, but I'm not as attractive as I once was.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I used to be a big MTG nerd.

I stopped playing competitively around scars of mirrodin block. After that I mostly played EDH or a 12 spell version we made up. The game just got too serious and I got sick of not being able to hang competitively because I wasn't willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for the latest pieces to the newest net deck.

I got into roleplaying games instead.

I would totally still play MTG casually though, as in EDH or just casual constructed or even cube drafting. Unfortunately no one I know is into MTG enough yo bulid a cube or even play for that matter.

I still have a soft spot for the game though. Probably always will.

Also, I dunno where AK907ICECOLD is from but I played in A LOT of DCI sanctioned events, pre-releases and FNMs and I never seen anything like he described, ie pedos and junk, so in my experience that is a gross misrepresentation of the hobby.

Kallisti

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I have a red deck that has trampled for 15 years. I haven't played in almost 5 but I still have thousands downstairs in a box. It's crazy how a thread like this can make you go into spider heaven to "check out the decks"

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DuckforcoveR

thats funny cause I just got the horrible urge to go break out my old star wars ccg cards. All 8000 of them and sit on the floor of my living room and reminisce... maybe ill finally learn how to play and teach my kids as well. sad part is im kinda afraid to bring a couple out of their sleeves. Ive tried to sell them over the years but I always stopped myself short cause I was afraid i wouldnt ever get anywhere near what the collection itself is worth...... Ive got so many luke skywalkers mara jades leis hans chewies and personal weapons and ships it ridiculous.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The game has been around since 93' people...

Once you get hooked, no matter how long its been, there will always be a soft spot for it

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
deck list

GOBLIN FOG

This deck is not legal in any sanctioned format! But it is really fun to play.

4x any red/white dual lands
4x Howling Mine
2x Font of Mythos
4x pollen lullaby
4x safe passage
2x goblin bushwhacker
4x empty the warrens
4x rite of flame
4x seething song

Well something like that... I seem to have lost the decklist... fill it out with what cards you deem appropriate and watch the goblins flow from their Warren's like mad!

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

ye need at least 60 cards for a legit deck...

4 lands won't cut it... even if they're double lands

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Two words
Arabian Nights...

Dervishes were awesome. And the Black Lotus. Which was banned, but I haven't played in years. Right now, I'm hooked on Card Wars based on the game from Adventure Time. I floop the pig.

I used to have a half dozen sets of the Steve Jackson Illuminati ccg that is always talked about. Got them for about ten bucks in a bargain bin at a comic shop. Threw them away because I had no one to play against.
edit on 3-5-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Obviously.

Its implied. Hence the reason I did'nt list them.

The decklist isn't entirely complete anyway, as I said. But fill that puppy out with a little more fog maybe some more red ramp and it will amaze and astound. Its basically a turbofog deck where you just fog and fog until you have all the pieces to go off with a big empty the warrens explosion.

Gah, I can't believe I forgot pandemonium, that card is essential for this deck, so add 2x pandemonium.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Holy crap. You threw away SJ Illuminati cards!? Boy, you must be kicking yourself over that one. I know I would be.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Do we have any opinions on the New version of MGTO?

I find it a bit complicated... NOT user friendly at all

but maybe I just have to get used to it

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hey all, I know this thread is a little bit dated but I thought I would contribute some. I have been playing MTG actively for about 4 years now. I play multiple times a week with friends and occasionally register for booster drafts/pre-release events.

My favorite color is green. I play primarily Elf-ball, Elf-combo, Elf-drazi, Squirrel Mob and Treefolk. I do have a couple of decks that are other colors (Red goblin mob, Colorless Myr Deck etc). I play legacy mostly but will play standard some. I do not really play online however once in a while i power up the 360 to play mtg 2012.

I am happy to discuss decks, strategies and other things. I am also a dealer in cards. I routinely buy cards at yard sales/off of craigslist and sell them online. I have made over 20k to date from different cards (still havent found a Darn Gaea's Cradle).

Anyways, feel free to reply here or send me a message about MTG. I am always up for some conversation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join