It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we post about teens with addictions (parenting advice)?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
You're right. The kid can't even boil an egg. Almost burned my place down deep frying banic (spelling?) too. Ended up getting second degree burns on my hand trying to contain the situation. It's sad really, not only is he an addict, but he's got no skills at all. It makes it especially hard to let him sink. So making him responsible for his own cooking and shopping is like asking him to do calculus.

I know he wants stability and you're correct about that as well. But I already laid out the ground rules regarding staying out during the work week. I already laid the ground rules about me not enabling him and while he stays with me, he stays clean. He's completely thumbed his nose at me. His GF left him and now he's gone on a binge. His mother doesn't help either. She's good cop and I'm bad cop. Her enabling ways is what exacerbated this issue from the get go. She wants me to help him but contradicts my tough love method constantly. I'm doing a merry-go-round with the both of them. It's insanity. He's got her number and manipulates her to no end. Feeling sorry for him. He knows he can't get away with that with me, that's why he's afraid to come back. I won't listen to excuses.

If his mother wants me to help this kid, she's got to be on board with my decisions 110% because I'm getting no where when she undermines me. The only times I ever get results is when I apply pressure, otherwise he'll just lollygag along doing his own thing. My god, she thinks him asking to go the gym was he way of trying to bond. Arg, she's so dumb and blind. It really is insanity. He knows damn well I'm pissed and I don't feel like "bonding" right now. disappear for 3 days using meth, no sleep and no food and he's got the strength to go to the gym? C'mon, how can anyone be so naive?

I'm rambling now...

I'm not all tough love either. When his gf of one-year, a girl who really was the best thing for him, finally left him, I bought a half-micky and we had a couple of man-to-man belts. I understand what he's going through. Next day I drove him to get his cheque and he vanished.
There is no middle road I see.
edit on 3-5-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join