It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Coal mine disaster shakes China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Over 25 miners have been killed and over 150 are still believed to be trapped underground following a gas explosion at a coalmine in the Shaanxi Province, China. The explosion happened at around 7 am Monday, local time, and took place around 8000 meters from the mine's entrance. This is the second gas explosion within a coal mine in the last 40 days. On October 20th, a gas explosion at the Dapin Coalmine in China killed 148 and injured over 30 people. Of the people rescued following the most recent explosion, 41 injured miners are in hospital, 5 of whom are in critical condition.

www.timesofoman.com
About 100 relatives, mostly miners' wives and their children, were still gathered outside the mineshaft gate, braving the cold until late in the night.

"They were all crying. Most of them were wives who didn't know whether their husbands were still alive," the wife of one miner said at her nearby home.

"They waited all day but there was still no information," she said. The military's armed police unit was sent to the scene to help with the rescue. Early on Monday morning they were seen changing shifts to guard the gate, where a number of ambulances and police units also waited.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These two explosions have been terrible and will shake China for the time ahead. Statements will be conducted by the government to hopefully find the cause of these disasters. All coalmines with high gas concentrations have been shut for a safety examination, hopefully ensuring the safety of future coalmine workers.

Related News Links:
www.nbr.co.nz
www.timesofoman.com
tvnz.co.nz

[edit on 28-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
This story actually exists here on ATSNN:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

join