It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peru, Illinois 4/26/14

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So last weekend, on the way up to Connecticut, we were passing through Peru, Illinois. I was in the bunk sleeping, while my other half drove. Suddenly she wakes me up and says, "Hey, come look at these planes!" (she always wakes me up when she sees planes she thinks I'll be interested in). Fortunately, we were able to find a truck stop right next to the airport, and had some fun watching a little airshow.

I got some pics, they aren't the best, because our camera is one of those where you have to use the LCD screen to aim, and with the sun it was really hard to do, but I thought you guys would appreciate them.

My uploader is having issues, click the links and you'll see the pics, and I'll try to fix the so they display.
edit on 5/2/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Nice. The last one looks like a Stearman.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

They were going right over the truck stop we were in. It was a blast to watch them. We must have sat there for two hours watching them fly around.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

From all the ATS members, it had to be you. Right person, right place, right time. That's instant karmic retribution.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

LOVE IT!

edit on 2-5-2014 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Grumman F6? Republic P-47? North American P-51?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: totallackey

Looked like an F6F, a couple of T-6s, and a TBM along with the biplane.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815

Thanks! I don't know why my library is being a pain in the butt lately. I think I have way too much in it from my UAV thread.

I like that last one, with the three of them so much I made it my wallpaper. There's another one like that, that has all four of them, but it didn't come out as nice.
edit on 5/2/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Thank you for identifying the planes! I am terrible at identifying them by sight alone...at least I got one right...

I love watching these planes in action. I was born near the PAX River Naval Air Station and during our vacations there while I was growing up, they would perform an air show and some of the old planes were frequently dusted off and put through the motions...

Now, I live near Chicago and get to see the Air and Water Show every year. Many of these old planes are put on display, with a lot of them using the airport in Valparaiso, IN, for hanger space during down time.

Thank you for sharing the pics!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Back in 95, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the end of WWII, the USS Carl Vinson brought a PBY, a B-25, F4U, and a number of other warbirds out to Hawaii, along with all the modern aircraft. They did a fly by parade of downtown Honolulu, all lined up in formation.

Prior to that, the B-25 came to Hickam for something. When they went back to Barbers Point, where they were staying, I got to go with them. Instead of the expected turn to the right, and a short hop to Barbers Point (10 minutes or so), they turned us left, and made us go all the way around the island.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit
Nice. The last one looks like a Stearman.

There's a club that stops by here all the time and offer rides. I sooooooo want to go for a ride in a Stearman! One of the coolest planes ever! However, I think it's 250.00 for a ride... It's very tempting!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

You should do it. That's not the kind of thing you get to do every day, and it's so worth it. I haven't gone up in a Stearman, but the B-25 was a blast. That recip engine scares the HELL out of you on the ground the way it pops and sputters.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I would love to do that if I could afford it. A couple of co-works paid to go up in a B-17 several years back out of Boeing field. Later that year that plane crashed and burned to the ground in an Illinois corn field.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Ugh. It always makes me sick to my stomach to hear that. Those old birds deserve a better fate.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Nice pics Zaphoid, thanks for sharing

Sounds like a perfect day out to me, which reminds me.. Must take the family to an air show this year

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Very good pictures for using a crappy camera, were you laying on your back for the third picture? The plane seems to be inverted......LOL

I am no real big fan of airplanes so to speak but years ago we had an air show here with I think it was a p52 or something like that (the props they used in Iraq) they are wicked fast.

Anyways we were not at the show but the plane above crashed (stalled in a hard bank) and we could easily hear it from our back yard which was about 2.5 miles away.
My point is I love watching the old girls fly over us, the day before the crash they were all over the place practicing and it was cool to watch.

Thanks for posting those amazing pictures.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Iwinder

The F6F was doing all kinds of loops and low passes when he was flying solo. One of the T-6s flew, then the F6F, then the pair of Texans, then the four of them together. The F6F flight was the most fun to watch. He was coming down LOW on some of his passes.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Looked like an F6F, a couple of T-6s, and a TBM along with the biplane.

Well I,m not suppose to know this but
The wife got me a training ride in the T-6 for my birthday in two week
Taking the kid & grand-kid to Orlando for vacation
Just that I do not know if it for a 15 or 30 min ride
will try and get picture and vid
and post some

T-6 Trainer ( Pilot Maker)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hey, I saw that very same bi - plane last week when I was in Illinois on I-80 not far from Peru. In fact right after I stopped in Peru to fuel up at the Sapp Bros. Awesome pics OP.
edit on 2-5-2014 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join