It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Exploding Whales Goes Horribly Wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry ,but I found this just to funny not to post.

esterday we brought you the story of a blue whale that washed up on the shore of a small town in Canada. The people in the town don’t have the resources to deal with the carcass properly, but aren’t getting any help from the federal government. Dead whales become grossly inflated from gas buildup as they decompose, so the clock is ticking as the people of Trout River decide what to do.

Luckily, they have a perfect example of what NOT to do thanks to the town of Florence, Oregon who were faced with a similar situation in 1970. Instead of dealing with the animal responsibly by popping it or dragging it back out to sea where scavengers could deal with the carcass, it was decided that the whale could be blasted out into the water using dynamite. The blast was planned to be strong enough to clear the whale from the beach while also vaporizing any stray whale bits that resulted in the explosion.

Unfortunately, the amount of dynamite was not properly calculated and the result was quite messy. This story has served as a cautionary tale for whale disposal ever since. Check out what happened:

Read more at www.iflscience.com...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Oh, so you have those guys on Facebook too? Funny, I just pulled one of their articles as material for a thread I posted like...ten minutes ago.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You can't get more Horribly Wrong than exploding!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
From what I understand, Canada has the Same zero tolerance laws for ambergris possession as the USA.

If they were to make an exception for licensed and regulated extraction from already dead carcasses, companies would be bidding on who gets to remove the whale and harvest the ambergris.

It would be a win/win situation for all.

Just another example of how knee-jerk zero-tolerance policies create problems and why things should be decided on case by case basis.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954
Just saw a video on the whole thing...and I recognise the place! Spent an afternoon there a couple of years back, and rotting whales aside, it is a lovely spot. Go there...well, once the whale is gone, anyway.

join