It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing Element 117 - This Time, For Real

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
The periodic table has just officially inducted the newest member of its extensive atomic family, an as-yet unnamed element which decays into elements 115 and 113.

I'm no chemist, so...what does this mean for the world of science?
You answered your own question before you asked it, it means another entry on the periodic table.

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
They already have, multiple times. Fortunately, the black holes created have always been so small and brief that they never posed any threat at all.
Source?

originally posted by: ErosA433
A black hole has never been created in the lab.
Right. It was theorized as possible they might produce some in the LHC at CERN which would be extremely short-lived if it ever happened, but such an event has never been confirmed to my knowledge.

originally posted by: amazing
Good for Bob Lazar!
None of this gives Lazar any credibility, quite the opposite. He claimed to have some stable ununpentium, and all lab results so far show that it's not stable so what Lazar claims about stable 115 is not confirmed in any lab, in fact it's highly unstable.
edit on 3-5-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Good for Bob Lazar!

Bob Lazar making mention of an element 115 before it had been discovered is not that amazing of a feat whatsoever. I remember when I was in high school many years ago, and we were discussing the way science can synthesize elements above the heaviest "natural" element (uranium). We talked about someday science may synthesize elements filling the periodic table up through the "hundred-and-teens". The concept that there could be an element 115 is a pretty straightforward and simple idea, and not something the Lazar needed to be "in the know" or have super-advanced knowledge about to have considered it.

I mean, elements in the 100's had been synthesized in labs (and found to be resulatants of nuclear explosions) for years before Lazar was even born. Every so many years, an additional element with a larger periodic than the last would be discovered/synthesized, so it isn't much of a logical stretch to imagine that someday an element 115 would be found...

...so the idea Lazar's element 115 was an idea that had been considered by many people (even lay-people) many times before him.

edit on 5/4/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join