It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Art of Debunkery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
HOW TO DEBUNK JUST ABOUT ANYTHING

Before commencing to debunk, prepare your equipment. Equipment needed: one armchair.

Put on the right face. Cultivate a condescending air that suggests that your personal opinions are backed by the full faith and credit of God. Employ vague, subjective, dismissive terms such as "ridiculous" or "trivial" in a manner that suggests they have the full force of scientific authority.

Portray science not as an open-ended process of discovery but as a holy war against unruly hordes of quackery-worshipping infidels. Since in war the ends justify the means, you may fudge, stretch or violate the scientific method, or even omit it entirely, in the name of defending the scientific method.

Keep your arguments as abstract and theoretical as possible. This will "send the message" that accepted theory overrides any actual evidence that might challenge it--and that therefore no such evidence is worth examining.

www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Damn, this MUST be a PHD level course given for professors in most universities...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hahahaha!!! You are so right!!!!

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Yeah there's alotta nonsense out there but people that try to debunk EVERYTHING and call anything that they don't understand "quackery" really piss me off.

Damn nerds!

Peace

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Then I guess you wont like this site: randi.org...

For a person with a name stemming from buddha you are remarkably unaccepting.

XAOS

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by xaos
Then I guess you wont like this site: randi.org...

For a person with a name stemming from buddha you are remarkably unaccepting.

XAOS

I suspect it's not the religious figure "buddha" who he is stemming his name from.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
xaos

My name comes from buddha, as in "smokin' the buddha" or buddha cess.

I do actually study and practice Buddhism but that's not why I chose the name. I should actually change my SN because now it seems kinda disrespectful to the Buddha name. Is there a way to change your SN without starting a new membership?

Anyway; I'm not the one calling anyone who's findings don't agree with mine wrong or right, a "quack". No matter how absurd someones belief may seem, I'll at least hear what they have to say. I'm not saying that there aren't any "quacks" out there either.

Even the most enlightened Zen masters will express anger when they see fit. They use wisdom when doing so and never lose control of that anger; but express it nonetheless.

As far as me calling them "nerds". I have no justification for it. I see those people as nerds so I'll say it.

Peace

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Man, I'm just kidding with you. I think that some debunkers can be annoying, but the people that they debunk are far worse.

XAOS

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Peace xaos.

I yeah forgot to mention; although I study Buddhism, I don't consider myself to be a "Buddh-ist".

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
TheBandit795 if you're watching I'm just bumping this thread to see more comments on this subject.BTW i found another link that's similar to this.

www.bibleufo.com...

top topics

join