It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this Normal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Here's something if find a bit strange.
It's about my ex wife's family and illnesses that have befell them in the past few years.
First up, Kenneth 14, ex wifes first cousin.. Cancer in the finger...cured after chemo.
Second...David 31, Ex wifes Brother, non smoker and non drinker...Cancer...Dead within 8 weeks
Third..Allan 30, ex wifes first cousin, non smoker and drinker, Leukemia, treatment still on going.
Fourth, Ian 68, ex wifes First uncle and the father of Kenneth and Allan, Leukemia, just diagnosed.

I'm Baffled and somewhat worried about this...I have two son's to my ex. is this a Gene disorder or something else.?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Could be genetic. Could also be environmental. Did they all live in the same area?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

To 1 subjectively it can be a genetic issue or something related to where they grew up, family diets or habits. Did they all live in the same area? 1 wishes them your youths strength in overcoming these existing & potential health issues. And good luck to you OP...

NAMASTE*******
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA

edit on 5/2/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Could be genetic. Could also be environmental. Did they all live in the same area?

Yeah, within a few miles. I've been scratching my head trying to find a link to this other than the gene pool.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Yeah, within a few miles. I've been scratching my head trying to find a link to this other than the gene pool.

Is it rural? A lot of farms? A place I used to live in the middle of nowhere but farmland had a bunch of some rare cancer in people unrelated. They even sent out the CDC quietly because suspicion was on pesticides used on crops.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

You need to look into the following things.

Is the area in which they live heavily industrial, agricultural, or close to any streams and or rivers? Is there any history of water table contamination in the area? Have there been any disasters, like chemical fires or anything of that nature, within ten miles over the last few years?

Also you need to look into the possibility of hereditary genetic causes, but if there are none, there must be some commonality which links these cases in some other way, and those points above are a start.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear
Not Rural per say...small village. all keen golfers though so they would be at the golf course 3/4 day a week.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

It could be so many reasons, but they have three different types of cancer which makes me think it's not a genetic mutation that is passed on genetically (but I am not an oncologist expert).

I would suggest to go see your doctor and give him all the details: types of cancer, ages, lifestyle, etc. and see what he/she says about your sons. If a family link is not possible, then try to find out where they lived, if they have all ever lived together, where, drinking water sources, asbestos in the house...so many different factors too look at.

But don't panic, it would be worrisome if they've all had the same type of cancer.

Your sons will be ok, just stay positive and strong.......sending blessings to you and your family.

edit on 2-5-2014 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2014 by Agartha because: Today I can't spell!!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Could be a cross between genetic and environmental. Most genetic factors stem from eating food chemistry that the body has not adapted to process properly. If you eat foods that suppress the thyroid too much, then you may not have the energy to fight cancer. If you eat foods that you are intolerant to, it can weaken your immune system. If you do not stimulate the immune system occasionally to fight cancer cells, they can multiply. Some foods promote apoptosis of damaged cells, others promote the creation of cells and blood vessel growth. Learning to moderate these and pay attention to natural cravings helps. Foods that hijack our natural cravings can indirectly cause us to get cancer because we do not eat the companion chemistry that is needed to process the food correctly and get rid of the normal metabolic toxins. Dieting can actually lead to cancer sometimes because of excluding of the companion foods or antidotes.

This is what I conclude from a lot of my studies. Neutralizing nitrosamines can be done if you eat the antidotes or companion foods. You want damaged cells to die and be replaced with good ones. I study all properties of foods, not just the properties that they say are good. This is something that is genetic specific. Proper communications between cells and the mind and other organs is crucial, how can you accomplish that if you are eating too many foods that hijack your cravings. I only have six years studying this, I am sure that some people have been studying it for a long time. But if they look at this with a narrow focus, they cannot see the whole thing. That happens a lot in this world.

The genetic traits these people share makes them susceptible to cancer if they don't eat a diet that their body recognizes or matches their genetics. Only they may figure out the problem, studying the eating habits of their ancestors is crucial. If it has been happening for many generations, they have been messing up for many generations and they need to evaluate what foods can cause such faulty gene expression.

One mans poison is another mans medicine. One man's food makes another man sick. This is over a long period of time. You need to eat a companion food with many things. If you avoid the companion food, sometimes you stay hungry. Sometimes a companion food can be something as simple as plain old salt or certain fats. Stuff they have said is bad for us. Some people can live on all veggies, while other people can't eat much veggies and stay healthy and sane. Also....our metabolic state changes as we get older, requiring a modification of the diet.

So genetic and environmental are strongly related.
edit on 2-5-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha

It could be so many reasons, but they have three different types of cancer which makes me think it's not a genetic mutation that is passed on genetically (but I am not an oncologist expert).

I would suggest to go see your doctor and give him all the details: types of cancer, ages, lifestyle, etc. and see what he/she says about your sons. If a family link is not possible, then try to find out where they lived, if they have all ever lived together, where, drinking water sources, asbestos in the house...so many different factors too look at.

But don't panic, it would be worrisome if they've all had the same type of cancer.

Your sons will be ok, just stay positive and strong.......sending blessings to you and your family.

Two different types of Cancer and two different types of Leukemia as far as i'm aware.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Great post and thank you for taking the time.
When i heard about this latest Leukemia my mind started thinking about working environments they may have in common.
I know that my ex father in law, (David's Dad) and his sister in law, (Allan and Kenneth's mum and Ian's wife) both worked in a Clock making Factory in the 60's.
I'm sure i heard a story many years ago about how the woman in the factory used to paint their lips and eye lids with that green, glow in the dark illuminous stuff that they put on the Dials and hands of the clocks....Not good.

Maybe nothing in it, but it's a start

edit on 2-5-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I got some of that radium 226 in a vial in a watch painting kit.
I found it with my geiger counter.
I moved it to the garage in a metal cabinet. Half the basement was above the normal radiation levels of the house.

Surprising how many people are afraid of that stuff, an occasional exposure does not really hurt you but a constant long term exposure could cause problems. People fear things that shouldn't be feared. I don't think that making lipstick out of it would be advisable though.

I slept with my head next to a Big Ben clock when I was young. I was considered normal back then, believing what society taught me. Maybe I should put one of my Little Ben clocks on the nightstand so I can return back to blissful ignorance.
I can't really comprehend these two things being related

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
a reply to: the owlbear
Not Rural per say...small village. all keen golfers though so they would be at the golf course 3/4 day a week.

Could be the golf, they use weed killers.

Abstract
Acute leukaemia is known to develop in many cases of benzene-induced pancytopenia [1]. This is a report of the development of acute leukaemia in a patient who had apparently recovered from pancytopenia after chronic exposure to a weed killer, 2-methyl-4-chlorphenoxyacetic acid.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

A study published in the Journal of the National Cancer
Institute finds that household and garden pesticide use
can increase the risk of childhood leukemia as much as
seven-fold.8
■ Studies show that children living in households where
pesticides are used suffer elevated rates of leukemia, brain
cancer and soft tissue sarcoma.9
■ Pesticides can increase susceptibility to certain cancer

www.beyondpesticides.org...

www.smartplanet.com...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Definitely sounds environmental.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I got some of that radium 226 in a vial in a watch painting kit.
I found it with my geiger counter.
I moved it to the garage in a metal cabinet. Half the basement was above the normal radiation levels of the house.

Surprising how many people are afraid of that stuff, an occasional exposure does not really hurt you but a constant long term exposure could cause problems. People fear things that shouldn't be feared. I don't think that making lipstick out of it would be advisable though.

I slept with my head next to a Big Ben clock when I was young. I was considered normal back then, believing what society taught me. Maybe I should put one of my Little Ben clocks on the nightstand so I can return back to blissful ignorance.
I can't really comprehend these two things being related

I think some people have a better constitution against radiation. Just a theory. I know when I moved in with my girlfriend, I was going to make a room in the basement and spent an afternoon down there. Felt a little strange. Ears were ringing more than usual, small stuff. When she got home I asked her out of curiosity if she had high radon in basement. She almost turned white and said it was high, but just shy of too much for habitation. Weird.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

People always say genetic - and they're dead wrong 98% of the time. Very, very few diseases or susceptibilities are genetic, even when the susceptibility is inherited. Most often, inherited susceptibilities are epigenetic - meaning the genes are NOT changed. What happens is that some environmental exposure or another tweaked the epigenetic processes that turn genes off and on, or modify a protein after the gene already produced it. Cancer is well-studied as being triggered by epigenetic processes.

The good news about epigenetic inheritance is that it is NOT encoded in the DNA and therefor NOT permanent, and often, the effects can be reversed. Sometimes careful lifestyle modifications will do the trick but not always - otherwise, cutting edge research is on the case. There are breakthroughs almost every day - especially epigenetic influences on cancer. ...Not on point for cancer, but I just got another alert about epigenetics and brain function.

Controlling fear by modifying DNA

....Dr Bredy said they had discovered a novel mechanism of gene regulation associated with fear extinction, an inhibitory learning process thought to be critical for controlling fear when the response was no longer required.

“Rather than being static, the way genes function is incredibly dynamic and can be altered by our daily life experiences, with emotionally relevant events having a pronounced impact,” Dr Bredy said.

He said that by understanding the fundamental relationship between the way in which DNA functions without a change in the underlying sequence, future targets for therapeutic intervention in fear-related anxiety disorders could be developed.

“This may be achieved through the selective enhancement of memory for fear extinction by targeting genes that are subject to this novel mode of epigenetic regulation,” he said.

Mr Xiang Li, a PhD candidate and the study’s lead author, said fear extinction was a clear example of rapid behavioural adaptation, and that impairments in this process were critically involved in the development of fear-related anxiety disorders.

“What is most exciting is that we have revealed an epigenetic state that appears to be quite specific for fear extinction,” Mr Li said.

Dr Bredy said this was the first comprehensive analysis of how fear extinction was influenced by modifying DNA.

“It highlights the adaptive significance of experience-dependent changes in the chromatin landscape in the adult brain,” he said.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

...The genetic traits these people share makes them susceptible to cancer if they don't eat a diet that their body recognizes or matches their genetics.

...genetic and environmental are strongly related

More "nutrigenomics" nonsense. WHERE IS YOUR PROOF?! You consistently present mis-informed mis-understood information about epigenetics as "genetic." Pure disinformation. I fervently hope nobody buys your bull puckey - or the products.

edit on 2/5/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
My nephew 9 is going through leaukiemia treatment, and there are TONs of reason why they think he got it for the second time. paint, light bulbs, chemicals, genes, man i hate that he is going through this. he had a bone marrow transplant 2 months ago and is in good spirits, hair is strating to grow back. its crazy what they have to do, the last round of chemo, was the strongest though, to ensure that the kill all his cancer cells, which unfortunetly kills good cells too, then the transplant, now we wait.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'd say given the wide age range and differing types of cancer, it's more likely to be environmentally triggered if they all lived close together. There may be something in their make-up that makes them more vulnerable, but it's still more likely an environmental trigger.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
My nephew 9 is going through leaukiemia treatment, and there are TONs of reason why they think he got it for the second time. paint, light bulbs, chemicals, ....

All those things can trigger wonky epigenetic processes that turn normal gene expression cancerous. Just so you know, epigenetic science is growing by leaps and bounds, and new and better therapies are in the pike. Sad thing is, the best therapy is to clean up the world and stop contaminating our air, water, food and environments but it's not about to happen. So we have to deal with the effects, which unfortunately costs money people often don't have. Stupid, imho.

Epigenetic therapy of cancer: past, present and future

The initiation and progression of cancer is controlled by both genetic and epigenetic events. Unlike genetic alterations, which are almost impossible to reverse, epigenetic aberrations are potentially reversible, allowing the malignant cell population to revert to a more normal state. With the advent of numerous drugs that target specific enzymes involved in the epigenetic regulation of gene expression, the utilization of epigenetic targets is emerging as an effective and valuable approach to chemotherapy as well as chemoprevention of cancer.

‘Epigenetic’ is a term used to describe mitotically and meiotically heritable states of gene expression that are not due to changes in DNA sequence1. Epigenetic events are important in all aspects of biology, and research dur- ing the past decade has shown that they have a key role in carcinogenesis and tumour progression. Two of the most studied epigenetic phenomena are DNA methylation and histone tail modifications (BOX 1).

Epigenetic therapy clinically active against several blood cancers

Patients with a variety of hematologic cancers benefited from treatment with OTX015, a member of a new class of investigational epigenetic therapies that block the activity of bromodomain and extraterminal (BET)-bromodomain proteins. These phase I clinical trial results were presented at the American Association for Cancer Research 2014 Annual Meeting, in San Diego, California.

BET-bromodomain proteins have an important role in controlling whether a gene is turned on or off. They work by attaching to special epigenetic flags on the genome. The positioning of many epigenetic flags is abnormal in many different types of cancer, and this can inappropriately turn genes on or off, helping drive these cancers.

“OTX015 is a potent, small-molecule inhibitor of the BET-bromodomain proteins BRD2, 3, and 4,” said Esteban Cvitkovic, MD, founder and CEO of OncoEthix, the sponsor of this trial. “Preclinical data showed that it may be effective against a wide range of hematologic malignancies. This ongoing study is designed to determine the recommended dose and schedule of OTX015 to be given orally as a single agent to patients with hematologic malignancies.

“We have been excited to see that several leukemia and lymphoma patients, having failed all available standard therapies, have durable, objective responses to monotherapy with oral OTX015 at doses that have little or no toxicity,” added Cvitkovic. “As far as we know, this is the first clinical evidence that BET-bromodomain inhibitors, a new family of anticancer agents, may have a role in the treatment of human malignancies.”

edit on 2/5/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join