It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of first "Alligator" (Ka-52) shot down in Slavyansk

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
The Eastern-Ukrainian "Anti Terrorist Operation" has begun today.

“Against Ukraine's special forces, terrorists used heavy artillery, including grenade launchers and portable anti-aircraft missile launchers. One pilot is dead and there are wounded," Avakov wrote in his Facebook message. Vyacheslav Ponomaryov, the self-declared mayor of Slovyansk, was quoted by Interfax as saying two helicopters had been shot down, and one pilot had been detained.

Pilot Killed as Ukraine Forces Try to Retake Slovyansk

The first casualty:

The Ka-52 "Alligator":

Combat helicopters Ka-52 “Alligator”

Captured pilot "Captain Tseguyeva"(?) was wounded in the "anti terrorist operation", in the shooting an ukrainian heli landed, his comrades take the pilot's gun, left him and flee, tells the indignant rebel on the video (at 1:01), then showing pilot's documents.

Ukraine PM warned yesterday of "most dangerous 10 days". I agree, the most dangerous thing is waging war on your own people.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I want to see it being shot down, not wreckage...!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I like how the article said a pro Russian separatist shot down the helicopter and put a picture of a man with a shotgun... Sure it dint had any Russian help to manage the feat.

In an unrelated comment, it does look like an alligator

edit on 2-5-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: 3u40r15m

Who knows? My source is one of the ukrainian official state news agencies:

UNIAN.UA

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:11 AM
link   
forget it i got totally confused
edit on 2-5-2014 by anHairInTheSoup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: maghun

Why is someone risking their life hosing a combat helicopter
engulfed in flames? No extinguishers in Russia?

edit on Ram50214v30201400000034 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

This kind of "terrorists" are insane:

What would you do in a similar situation? Hide or filming with phones?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Allow somebody like Zaph to correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought that the Ka-52 was meant to be the absolute best in terms of Russian military helicopters, it was even targeted at the risky low suitability heavy scout/attack role and supposedly had the armament, threat detection and protection etc to do so.

I'm really quite surprised that a very advanced modern attack helicopter like this was shot down by supposedly lightly armed rebels or "terrorists" even if there were threats in the area the Ka-52 can shift itself around faster than an Apache can deploying flares and other countermeasures to evade. I'm quite uncertain how this occurred unless the pilots were completely inexperienced yet the guy seemed like an older pilot who had been in the air force for some time.

Kind of pointing to the rebels having advanced anti aircraft weapons here or the Ukrainians having poor tactics and underestimating threats.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Ukrainian (?) forces:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DodgyDawg

That was actually my first reaction when I heard that an Alligator was shot down. I was surprised that it went down so easily.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
If this is the craft that was shown on video being shot down ,it was flying very low and the missile being fired at it was realy close

So don't think they had time to react

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

That would do it, but one of the big things about the Alligator was its survivability. They took the lessons from Afghanistan and put it into them to make them able to withstand more.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
In the 80s I remember hoe the NCO green book would play up the equipment so we wouldn't be overconfident.When I saw their equipment in person I found out EXACTLY what kind of POSs their armor were.Aviation isn't my expertise.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Their gunships, like the Mi-24 don't have the electronics that the Apache does, but it's a really close contest as to which I'd rather have supporting me. Russian gunships are some wicked beasts, and they can take a real beating. There were Hinds that took Stinger hits and flew home afterwards.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DodgyDawg
Allow somebody like Zaph to correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought that the Ka-52 was meant to be the absolute best in terms of Russian military helicopters, it was even targeted at the risky low suitability heavy scout/attack role and supposedly had the armament, threat detection and protection etc to do so.

I'm really quite surprised that a very advanced modern attack helicopter like this was shot down by supposedly lightly armed rebels or "terrorists" even if there were threats in the area the Ka-52 can shift itself around faster than an Apache can deploying flares and other countermeasures to evade. I'm quite uncertain how this occurred unless the pilots were completely inexperienced yet the guy seemed like an older pilot who had been in the air force for some time.

Kind of pointing to the rebelshaving advanced anti aircraft weapons here or the Ukrainians having poor tactics and underestimating threats.

LOL, rebels.... Silly... Don't you mean Spetsnaz?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Whereismypassword

That would do it, but one of the big things about the Alligator was its survivability. They took the lessons from Afghanistan and put it into them to make them able to withstand more.

Not so hard to make the survivable look less than stellar when you know every detail about the craft.

This would be akin to the US shooting down a Japanese Apache (yes, I know, not very realistic). The US designed and built the Apache, they know every strength and weakness inside and out. There is nothing it can do that the US wouldn't be very aware of.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What would you do in a similar situation?

I'd jump on my horse and ride thru the townships
and villages shouting, the Russians are coming!
Can you just tell me if there's a fire crew on scene,
or is that someone with a lawn hose? Or What up?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Which raises an interesting point. If they were rebels, with little to no military training, how'd they know exactly how to ambush the helos?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Ukraine does not have KA-52 helicopters in their inventory.

The video is actually of the KA-52 crash near Moscow during a test flight last year. Here are some details, you can see that this is the same video:

rt.com...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

That's one bad ass looking helicopter-Black variant

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join