It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Block-Long Sinkhole Swallows Cars in Baltimore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Due to heavy rains, a sinkhole caused some residents to have to evacuate their rowhouses

A block-long sinkhole opened up in a residential neighborhood in rain-soaked Baltimore on Wednesday, devouring cars and forcing the evacuation of several houses.

The sinkhole opened next to railroad tracks used by CSX in the first block of 26th Street in northeast Baltimore, the Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management said. A photo uploaded to the Twitter account showed several cars swallowed in the pit.

CSX said an embankment collapsed onto the railroad tracks. It said rail traffic in the area has been suspended.

Residents in the rowhouses on the block were being evacuated and a building inspector was called to the scene, the fire department said.

www.nbcnews.com...

Sinkhole/Mudslide...either or, what a mess!!

Luckily, no one was hurt according to the Mayor
Feel for those people who had to evacuate and whose cars ended up in the drop off

edit on 2-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
That is not a sink hole. That is a mud slide. IMO

Still sucks hope it don't cross the street.
edit on 2-5-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParanoidAmerican
That is not a sink hole. That is a mud slide. IMO

Still sucks hope it don't cross the street.

To be honest, that's what I would have called it but........it's still a mess and has the fire department unsure about the stability of the townhouses , not to mention blocked the train tracks

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
More of a mudslide to me also and luckily it was there and not just a bit to the left.

edit on 2-5-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy
a reply to: snarky412

There is something odd about that photo, maybe it's just me but what was actually there before the mudslide/sinkhole?

From what I can see, it crumbled/collapsed onto the train tracks, that's the tunnel at the top of pic
And to the left, is what is left of the retaining wall ....
So yeah, a good size of ground did give way [wash away] due to heavy rains

I just hope it doesn't effect the residents that live there, other than taking precautions for the time being

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I was trying to work out where the train line was and then realised the tunnel was the train line.. That made things a bit clearer.

new topics

top topics

join