It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Not Enough Subsidized Signups and Obamcare Goes Over Cliff

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:19 AM
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Oh, don't hop too far away just yet. It gets even better...

A friend up here signed up for Obamacare, they have kids. When she took one of them recently to the Dr., she was told her Obamacare coverage no longer covered her kids there. Even though this clinic has been the only Doctors her kids have ever gone to.

She asked what could she do to keep her kids seeing their same Doctors. They told her to sign them up as medicaid kids or sign onto Peachcare for kids, as they take kids from those programs. Both are welfare programs, she is not a welfare mom.

It's a cluster-you-know-what for parents. I'm so glad my only child is all grown up and has her insurance through work.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:53 AM
a reply to: Destinyone

I got irritated at one of my husband's doctors when we saw him a few months back

We asked him what he thought about Obamacare and he was like 'Oh it's great, now everyone will get insurance'

Well, being as I'm an advocate reader to these many threads regarding ACA, I said what do you mean? What about all those people that will lose their doctors/plans and be paying more for less?
Of course, he denied that would happen and said the higher premiums/deductibles are for folks like him that make more [doctors, etc.]
Needless to say, I told him that's not what I heard, then proceeded to tell him a few of the stories from every day people and their problems since all this mess started

Bottom line....he thought I was mistaken, that I had all my info wrong
Grrrrrr....I looked at my husband and he just barely shook his head as if to say 'Forget it', so I did
But boy was I fuming for the rest of the day

Never could figure out if he was just placating me or if he really was blind to the truth of Obamacare

edit on 2-5-2014 by snarky412 because: spweeling

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:35 AM
a reply to: snarky412

I can't tell you the horror stories I'm hearing from friends and neighbors. Up here in my rural area, Obamacare took away most everyone's choices in medical care. So many can't see their old Doctors, and because so little is offered in the form of providers here, it's gone sky high in costs.

I hope people start writing in to their local *letters to the editor* sections of their papers. They are doing it here, and they are pissed. I keep hearing people saying..."I wish I had never voted for him" it becomes reality what has happened to their healthcare. They feel betrayed, lied to by a man they trusted. You try telling someone who's been seeing the same Doctor for years, A Doctor they've formed a trusting relationship with over the years, you can't see him/her anymore.

It's a mess...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:46 AM

My husband is quite a bit older than me and is on Medicare
And I'll tell you, I was scared that the new law would mess with his doctors/medicines, but thank goodness it didn't
So far, where he is concerned, everything stayed the far

I feel for those that lost their original plans only to have to pay more for less--higher deductible too
Not to mention those that lost their doctors

Obamacare is joke -- a very expensive & hurtful joke that just keeps on giving, er, rather taking

edit on 2-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:22 AM

I am ahead of you on that one. As soon as I saw that, and I had already heard of people trying to cancel and being told a committee would have to decide if they could to go elsewhere, I wasn't wasting my time with sitting on the phone talking to people hired with no experience in insurance or healthcare to try to get something the government never intended to happen to be done. Yea, I have no doubt that once you give them that routing number and account number you are toast as long as you keep it open. Like telling me my premiums would only be $128/mo., and taking $367 out immediately (10 days is close enough). And this was in March for coverage beginning May 1st! I went in the next morning and closed the account, and opened a new savings and checking account. And just to be on the safe side, I decided to keep most of my cash except what I intend to pay in the account. Call me a 'lunatic conspiracy nut' if you will, but I have this suspicion that somewhere in those 36,000 pages of regulations written on the 2,000 page law that the government will somehow get my new account information and attempt to keep taking their "Protection Money". That is what I feel like. I got to pay protection money to keep this out of control government off my back. Actually, they will do it for the insurance companies I am sure.

I have had 23 major surgeries and pain is my life. When I first heard Obamacare passed, I made a deal with my pain management doctor. He agreed to let me pay him cash, even if I had to see him at his house, so I could get the treatment I needed. He probably thought I was crazy at the time. Last visit, which I only have to see him 4x a year, his PA asked why I didn't get insurance, because it "is a requirement now". I just told him to not even get me started. You have to understand my outlook on life is different than most people when I wake up every morning with severe pain and think I have to live with it for another 30 or 40 years. I seriously doubt I have anywhere near that long. I have outlived 4 previous pain management doctors who kept telling me about living my life lol! And 3 people I had met over the years in severe pain all died early. 1 at 47 and 2 at 53. I am 49, so by the time the government fixes their website and other computer systems to discover I don't have health insurance it is bound be too late!

edit on 2/5/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:05 AM
a reply to: spirit_horse

You are a wise man Spirit_horse.

I can't help but wonder how many people on Obamacare will be facing bounced check charges, if money is swiped from their banks without foreknowledge and budgeting for it.

That is so wrong on so many levels. Only a thief does that to you.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:49 AM
a reply to: xuenchen

Why do so many people here want Obamacare to fail? Because the President is black? A Democrat? Just exactly what does the GOP offer in its place? "Free Market" insurance with the costs going higher and higher, and CEO's and all the other management of insurance companies, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, HMOs get filthy rich off of average Americans? It's NOT a "Free Market", its a Manipulated Market! We, as American citizens, are held over a barrel with little or no choice.

What is wrong with passing a law, then tweaking it until it works better or works well? Over 50 votes to repeal Obamacare, all have failed... quit grandstanding, GOP, and either help make it better or actually offer something better than us being slaves to the Corporations! I can tell you personally, as someone who is in my mid fifties and hasn't spent a night in a hospital since 1962, that my health care keeps going up and up and up even when I don't use it. I signed up with Obamacare. Now my premium is under $500 when it was over $1000. So far, for me, it works! It's not enough to complain, offer a better alternative!
edit on 2-5-2014 by jaxnmarko because: paragraphing for clarity

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:52 AM
a reply to: jaxnmarko

It's kinda hard to want something to fail. That has already failed. That was a failure to begin with.

Your race card is so worn out, it won't play anymore. Only shows how desperate you are.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:58 AM

This has nothing do with GOP grandstanding on my part, nor many others here
And what the hell does skin color have to do with a piece of crap like this any way?
I would say the same thing had Bush passed it.....grrrrr

Obamacare is failing on it's own without any outside help, in case you haven't noticed

But I guess you're okay for family's to pay more for less
That their deductibles are far higher than were previously

And the failed promises of 'You can keep your doctor/plans' is okay with you I suppose
As there are thousands that, well, LOST THEIR DOCTORS!!
Even though many people that already HAD insurance LOST IT and are now forced to pay more with less options
Or the medicines that used to be covered under their old plan are NO LONGER covered so they pay more for it or do without

Some companies are having to drop spouses of the workers off their plans due to high costs, but that's a good thing, right????

Can't forget the whole dang website is crap, can't even tell who is actually insured and how many are in limbo

Just read the numerous states that are having problems now due to the new law being passed
And it ain't over with either

Forget politics for a moment and just take the time to read actual problems that have effected every day people and not in the good helping way

This is no ones fault but Obama/Pelosi/Reid and the likes
For not reading it before they passed it

And the ones it was designed to help, are not the ones signing up for it
Now if that don't beat all!!

ETA: Also, no one likes to be FORCED to buy health ins. coverage that they don't want or need!!!!

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:24 AM
I'm not signing up. I'm insured by the Creator. The government can not infringe on my religious beliefs.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:30 AM

Oh and don't forget the hidden taxes that millions will be paying via their paycheck
"Stealth Taxes" is what they're being called

How Obamacare Will Hurt Your Wallet All Year

Obamacare, and its barrage of over $1 trillion new taxes, is creeping into your paycheck.

These taxes aren’t just affecting those who make over $250,000. The majority of these taxes are hurting the middle class.

While these "stealth taxes" were designed to be taxes on businesses, they're actually transferred directly to ordinary citizens.

"Many of those [hidden] taxes, especially those on hospitals, insurers and medical device manufacturers, will ultimately be passed on through higher health costs," said Michael Tanner, an expert on the healthcare law.

Starting in 2014, there are 13 new Obamacare taxes and regulations to deal with. These include the individual mandate, a higher “insurance industry fee” driving up premiums, and a new 3.5% monthly fee on policy premiums purchased on the federal exchange.

Add it all up, and some analysts estimate Obamacare will cost the average American nearly $6,000 extra in 2014.

What’s more, taxpayers filing taxes in 2014 will need to be ready to deal with all the Obamacare taxes that already went into effect last year.

Oh yeah, good thing for Obamacare [/sarcasm]

Glad you don't seem to be affected, truly, you are one of the few lucky ones

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:45 AM

Like I said, what did the GOP have to offer in its place? What is YOUR idea for affordable health care? Race? I judge by behavior and attitude without pre-judging, unlike a number of people here. I think it is truly flawed legislation because it was in the hands of the lobbyists for the corporations for the entire writing of the bill, but we need some form of health care for everyone, don't we? Should we continue to pay $800 for a pain patch that can be bought for $70? Should someone pay over $10,000 for a 3 hour stay in ICU? The problem is the high cost of health care. Part of that problem is Corporate Management all wanting to be millionaires or multimillionaires. From day one of Obama's administration I have seen the racism in ATS. Sorry if I assume it is part of this, but I imagine it is. Again.... I think Obamacare is flawed as is but it has helped me personally. I haven't seen a reasonable alternative offered in the many years since it was first even proposed, let alone put into legislation. So what is an alternative? I ask you. Don't just put me down, tell me what the GOP offers that doesn't just line more pockets with money without solving the actual problem of the lack of reasonable health care costs for those that need it? Taxes are a necessary evil.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:03 AM

Like I said, what did the GOP have to offer in its place? What is YOUR idea for affordable health care? Race?

WTH is up with 'Race' ?
That makes no sense

Bottom line is the ones it was designed for ARE NOT the ones signing up...i.e. the Millennials, uninsured, etc.

The ones that already had insurance are the ones that are losing out thanks to the illusion of better plans/prices
The untruths [lies/deceptions] told by Obama to the public during election time to win votes about the facts concerning ACA are numerous

Of the supposedly 8 million that have signed up--which by now this administration has proven time & time again that their word is not trust worthy-- they don't' really know how many out of those actually HAVE insurance

Oh hell, don't you read any of the complaints around here and in the news?????
These people are not making it up

We are all glad for you, that you saved money are are doing good
But don't knock those that are doing poorly now because of Obamacare
It's hurting both Dems/Reb a like so no need to try to turn it into a political issue

It's a human being issue -- an American issue

It's not working out like the public had been told and I doubt there's any little fixer-upper that can be done to fix it
This monster has turned into a glorified nightmare which is now going to stick to Obama since he was the one that pushed for it to happen so fast instead of taking time to think it through and making sure all the ducks are in a row, so to speak

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 07:01 AM

You are wasting your time Snarky. There are Obama fan boys/girls that think he can do no wrong (just like Obama himself) regardless of what he does. I am tired of seeing the race card being pulled simply because this plan is a failure and I am even more tired of the "Something is better than nothing" crowd. Sometimes something IS NOT better than nothing especially if it makes an already faulty institution even worse.

Those who are hurt by Obamacare might as well say they hate it because he is black (though he is not) and just save their breath for more meaningful pursuits IMO.

edit on 5/2/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:51 AM

The Democrats had everybody else locked out of negotiations back when the original law was being debated.

And -Zero- Republicans voted in favor of the PPACA.

And, the left-over Democrats since have never considered any changes suggested by any opposition.

You ask what the GOP has to counter-offer, yet you won't acknowledge all the House attempts to make changes that could have averted some of the disaster.

And by the way, Bush proposed a health insurance but the Democrats thought it was crazy. Maybe it was?

How George W. Bush Would Have Replaced Obamacare

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:14 PM
most of the problems with the website can be blamed on the typical government contracting process, and lawyers/law-professors not really being the best people to oversee technology

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:51 PM

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 05:16 PM
Obamacare would never have passed if the truth was told about the effects on the insured.

1.) You won't get to keep your plan or doctor in most cases. That means some people is states like Kentucky may have to drive over 100 miles to one of your approved doctors. (As opposed to you keep your doctor and keep your plan if you like it).

2.) Your insurance premium is going to double or triple is a majority of cases. (as opposed to every family will see a $2,500 drop in insurance costs). And the deductible will be so high that the insurance won't cover anything unless something catastrophic happens to you anyway. So, why not just buy catastrophic plans like many people want. Not to mention men having coverage for pregnancy and birth control.

3.)The government is going to spend so much taxpayer money just to get the websites to work, and take over failed state websites that we could have insured all the uninsured for the next 20 years by just buying insurance.

Ther has been plans and fixes offered by the GOP. However, they were locked out of negotiations. The Dems own this turkey hands down. You aren't going to get away from it by trying to distract from that reality and say the GOP didn't offer any plans, etc.. Just like putting off the individual mandate and the Dems or liberals cried and whined so hard about the mean old GOP. Then Obama single-handedly puts it off to avoid the people finding out during an election year what is going to happen to them. Not only that, but he puts off the business mandate until after the 2016 presidential elections because the people are generally irate about the whole nightmare. And everyone knows, yes even the liberals sticking their fingers in their ears yelling na na na na na, that the dumbest statement ever made was, "We got to pass it in order to see whats in it". Yea, $1 Trillion in new taxes!

We could have insured all of the uninsured and built apartments for all the homeless if they just passed the taxes law and left everyone else who was happy and seeing the doctors they wanted to see alone! This ACA is the biggest flop yet.

Oh, and I guess some of those taxes went to hire people to go to websites and play the tired old liberal race card and tell everyone how wonderful Obamacare is. Sorry, we know the tactics now.

edit on 2/5/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 07:01 PM

are you not able to argue the merits of the Affordable Care Act without a mass accusation of racism against EVERYONE who disagrees with the Law?

let me ask you, which is more likely...Tens of Millions of Americans are Racist, or this law is awful

Occam's Razor tells us the simplest answer is most likely the correct apparently, this law is just awful.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 12:08 AM
a reply to: xuenchen

This is not true. What makes the Obamacare system work even more is that young people have to sign up in a large percentage so they can pay for the care of the older and sicker members. Obamacare is designed as a wealth distribution system designed to take away money from people less likely to vote - young people, and give it to people more likely to vote... old people. If not enough young people sign up to subsidize the vampire class, then Obamacare fails. I have no really heard much about these statistics.

I heard that roughly 40% of people need to be younger people or Obamacare fails, but don't even recall the source for that. If a lot of young people don't sign up, the cost goes up the following year, which of course means even less young and healthy people will sign up in the future, leading to even higher costs. After that it spirals to a nasty end.

The statistics are weak and we need more information supplied on the age distribution of Obamacare recipients.

The best the Democrats can dream of is that young people have their financial well-being sucked out of them by older people by forcing them to buy something they don't want against their will. That would be a raging success for them... a real party celebration time. It reminds me of how Democrats consider taking 16% of people's money (8% directly and another 8% hidden) then giving it back 45 years later to be a "raging success" story called Social Security. And they call this generous. You are "generous" if you want to take other people's money to support your own causes, and "greedy" if you think people should have a right to spend their money however they wish. That is seriously what Democrats think... its funny, but also an embarrassment for humanity.
edit on 4-5-2014 by wayforward because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3 >>