It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toronto 'Crack Mayor' Flies to Chicago for Alcohol Rehab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I don't think introductions are necessary ... we all know about Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. He has issues with booze and alcohol and he's been in denial for a long while. This week he got caught again on tape really drugged up and so he has decided to take a month off to go into rehab. This is a good thing (although I don't think that a month will do it). Good for him. He is leaving Canada for the USA for rehab.

So here's my question ... everyone says that Canada has medical care that is great and that the USA should pattern our healthcare after Canada ... so why isn't he at a care facility in Canada? I'm not picking on Canada .. I'm really asking .. does Canada have such a low problem with drugs and alcohol that they don't have the facilities? Or are the facilities there not as good as the ones in the USA? I don't understand why he came to the USA and didn't have this done in Canada. He has old family ties to Chicago, but that really doesn't explain it, at least not for me.

And again .... that's a question ... not a slam. I dont understand .
And again .... I'm glad he's doing this. Obviously he needs to. I hope it works for him.

Toronto 'Crack Mayor' Flies to Chicago for Alcohol Rehab

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flew to the United States in a private plane on Thursday, a TV network said, a day after he said he would take a leave of absence from his job and his re-election campaign to seek treatment for an alcohol problem.

Global News reported that it had confirmed Chicago as Ford's destination but gave no sources. It said it was unclear whether he was staying in Chicago or if he was receiving help.

Ford's decision to take a leave of absence followed months of denials that he has a substance abuse problem and nearly a year after media reports surfaced that he had been caught in a video smoking crack coc aine.

CBS - Embattled Toronto Mayor Comes to Chicago for Rehab

Numerous media reports Thursday indicate the embattled public official flew to Chicago’s Midway Airport from Canada. Details about what kind of treatment Ford would be getting in Chicago were not available.

Huffington Post - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Heads to Chicago for Rehab

ord's family has voiced support for his decision to seek treatment, though no one from the Ford family has confirmed the location of the mayor's treatment facility. Ford's brother, Toronto Councillor Doug Ford, was quoted saying only that the mayor was attending "one of the best facilities in North America" and that he would spend at least 30 days in treatment.

The Ford family has longtime ties to Chicago ever since Ford's father founded a printing business in nearby suburban Wooddale in 1962, ABC Chicago reports.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
A politician that has his dirty laundry out in the open, and cops to it and admits his failings to seek help?

I am shocked.

All joking aside,

Perhaps he was fleeing attention rather thank looking for better care?

Rehab is most successful when everyone doesn't immediately recognize you,

On the other hand, it could remove a layer of accountability from him in some way.

He seems to be an addict after all, and I doubt motive beyond getting people off his back.
edit on 1-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

You state many good points in your OP.

My bet is, he is too well known by the underground druggie world on his own turf, and is seeking help elsewhere to not be tempted to go to his usual sources. Or, he's already set up contacts in Chicago, to continue his bad habits under a less bright light.

Who knows. His credibility is shot to hell as it is. He shouldn't be focusing on trying to find a way to stay in office. He should be focusing on years of therapy to fix his own problems.

JMOHO...

Des

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Text So here's my question ... everyone says that Canada has medical care that is great and that the USA should pattern our healthcare after Canada ... so why isn't he at a care facility in Canada? I'm not picking on Canada .. I'm really asking .. does Canada have such a low problem with drugs and alcohol that they don't have the facilities? Or are the facilities there not as good as the ones in the USA? I don't understand why he came to the USA and didn't have this done in Canada. He has old family ties to Chicago, but that really doesn't explain it, at least not for me.

From what was said on the news earlier, there are rehab centers in the US that are more used to treating celebrities and politicians, therefore are more discreet. If it's a place that treats the rich and famous, it's also going to be a little more fancy than a regular rehab

Canada doesn't have as large of a prescription drug problem, but the street drugs can be a problem.
a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Chicago is only a 7 hour drive from downtown Toronto. Not a bad distance for a little anonymity. I agree with benrl statements that rehab works better with anonymity. His family business has a plant in Chicago, and his brother has a second home there as well.

I am sure that those reasons are more likely than Canada having a lack of treatment facilities. To address your question on the quality of the Canadian healthcare system:

The Canadian healthcare system is one of the worst models for public healthcare, and cost taxpayers roughly $11,000 per year. It is one of the most expensive universal healthcare systems in the world. Canadian healthcare costs through taxation have risen over 50% in the last ten years. Like some European countries with a similar model, wait times and quality of care through their system are a huge issue. See the Fraser Institute article here:

Fraser Institute article on Canadian healthcare costs

There have been reports of healthcare officials accepting cash payments to speed through the process, or give access to better care (I will try to find sources for this statement, but I have heard of experiences from both sides directly). Can any Canadians chime in on this?

There is no way to buy private heath insurance in Canada (except for what is not covered by the national system, like glasses, dentist, and some prescription plans), like you can in some European countries for a few extra bucks.

I think that whoever says that the US system should be modeled after Canada needs to do some research. I would rather see the Australian or Swiss model, which seem work fairly well. At the same link above, there is a Canada vs. Australia healthcare smack-down that was informative.

Any Aussies or Swiss out there to let us know your experience with your systems?
edit on 1-5-2014 by Arktos1 because: typo correction

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Rob Ford meet Betty Ford.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Apparently Justin Beiber ran into him in a night club and asked if he had any crack, apparently that pissed mr Ford off

Yeah cant make this up

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I like the way you presented his situation. As a recovering alcoholic, my guess is he wanted to go to one of the best known facilities for rehab and it just so happened to be in the states.

When you hit bottom you'll do whatever it takes, even if it means leaving the country I guess.
edit on 2-5-2014 by solongandgoodnight because: Added word

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Mayor Rob Ford Spotted in Ontario Town

Okay .. so is he or isn't he in rehab?
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was spotted in Ontario.
Someone said 'he looks good, he's lost weight'.

It's only been two weeks .... he hasn't detoxed ... he isn't clean and sober ... and in two weeks someone could perhaps lose 10 pounds which isn't noticeable on a guy that size.

So maybe he's not in the USA in rehab?
Or maybe he just escaped for a vacation from rehab?

I'm sure this isn't the last of this story ...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
they give passes in rehab

for people on crack the cycle appears to be:
quit drinking because booze seems to be the gateway drug
they really fall victim to the urge when drinking
replace booze with opiates
then they need methadone to get off the prescription opiates
throw antidepressant ssri's in there too...

also there is stress, hypertension, and heart disease, and diabetes in the wings...

The man has his work cut out for him
unhappy endings are always a possibility

having lost friends and family to this "scourge"
reminds me of the old saying:
there but for the grace of god go I

edit on Satam5b20145America/Chicago51 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Satam5b20145America/Chicago41 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

top topics

join