It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Me and my son talk about father kicking 6 year old off ramp.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Machismo (/məˈtʃiːzmoʊ, mɑː-, -ˈtʃɪ-/; Spanish: [maˈtʃizmo] (from Spanish "macho", male[1]); Portuguese: [mɐˈʃiʒmu]) is the sense of being macho or manly, the concept associated with "a strong sense of masculine pride...[with] the supreme valuation of characteristics culturally associated with the masculine and a denigration of characteristics associated with the feminine."[2] It is associated with "a man’s responsibility to provide for, protect, and defend his family."[3]

And this is a bad thing?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: LockwithnoKey

This thread is so informative about the adolescent macho types defending child abuse.

Perhaps it's a case of a guilty conscience concerning the abuse of their own children or bullying in general.

And a reminder as to the state of weakness you are perpetuating in todays society..

State of weakness? Child abuse strengthens society? You abuse my kid and I'll show you strength like you wouldn't imagine; tough guy!!!

I can only assume that your online persona is trying to impress us of your hardass personality. I don't buy it!

Ya know what the best part is? I don't fake my personality for the sake of the internet..I am the real deal folks!

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Bahaha that is HILARIOUS! Who would be "outraged" by this? So much bs gets taken too seriously and outta context these days stuff like this you gotta laugh at. Or you can make a video showing how disgusted you are lol.... Which makes it even more funny

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Hmmmmm . . . an interesting perspective.

The video of the child was outted before this thread.

In this day and age . . . folks who pretend that someone somewhere with a smart phone will NOT post an embarrassing video of them on the net . . . is . . . naive, to put it mildly.

All the more so if it involves children and questionable to destructive behavior with children.

In some respects . . . this is an advance in community disapproval of child abuse compared to the eras when it was all unknown behind closed doors.

Asking the child involved might have been a wonderful thing. I don't know how practical it was.

I think the fact that the video was already out on the net neuters that argument, really. Mr Mask did not post the original video. He merely highlighted it. If you are that outraged over the posting of the video--GO AFTER THE ORIGINAL POSTER.

Personally, this psychologist thinks that the posting of Mr Mask's video will likely be--if any impact on the child at all--AN INCREDIBLY ENCOURAGING THING that someone cared enough and understood with intense compassion the lad's feelings and perspective. From my own similar childhood treatment by a list of relatives and a blood and step-dad in terms of harsh ridicule etc . . . I assure you that the fact that SOMEONE, ANYONE would have understood and taken up my perspective with compassion--THAT FACT ALONE WOULD HAVE BEEN INCREDIBLY EMPOWERING, REDEMPTIVE, ENCOURAGING.

I still applaud Mr Mask and his OP.

It didn't put the father in stocks in the public square . . . but it did highlight terrible behavior rather well . . . in the current vast public square.

That has great potential to be educational for the father as well as the son

edit on 5/5/2014 by BO XIAN because: tag & typo

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Mask

originally posted by: algag1129
He's going to hate his father for the rest of his life and nothing will change that. There's the fathers punishment

Awwww, that is one thing I am overly sure will not happen in the least. The son's love for the father is not in question nor is the father's love for his son.

MM

What makes you say that?

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Machismo (/məˈtʃiːzmoʊ, mɑː-, -ˈtʃɪ-/; Spanish: [maˈtʃizmo] (from Spanish "macho", male[1]); Portuguese: [mɐˈʃiʒmu]) is the sense of being macho or manly, the concept associated with "a strong sense of masculine pride...[with] the supreme valuation of characteristics culturally associated with the masculine and a denigration of characteristics associated with the feminine."[2] It is associated with "a man’s responsibility to provide for, protect, and defend his family."[3]

And this is a bad thing?

The denigration of characteristics associated with the feminine. Yes...very.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LockwithnoKey

Let people raise their own families as they see fit!

I agree completely. I wasn't trying to imply any help should be forced. I think there should be help for people that want to pursue society's ideal of behavior. Unfortunately, even the ideal isn't clearly defined or is defined through irrational thought.

We will work this out slowly as a society. Your goal is to develop strength. That is an admirable goal. A clear path will work it's way out as we continue to focus on this problem.

I wish you the best.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
Am I the only one having issues seeing him actually kick the kid off the ramp? If he did, yes, that's abusive. All I can see, though, is video of him beside the boy, and then he moved, and the video seems to jump to the kid going down, as the dad walks away, possibly to go down and retrieve the child. I have watched it several times, and the "jump" is always there, and I can't see the actual reported "kick" at all. It's like frames are missing.

No frames are missing. You can clearly see the kick is kicked.

I don't know why you can't see it?

I mean that honestly. it is graphically clear the father walks behind the boy and boots him off the side.

MM

Well, that's bizarre. I watched it several times last might, and it "jumped" every single time. Watching it today, it didn't. Maybe it was some weird streaming issue. In any case, as I stated yesterday, kicking him down the ramp like that is definitely abusive. Not only was the child clearly scared, but those ramps aren't all that safe. Even experienced skaters can injure themselves, and a child that small isn't going to have the coordination to handle that.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

You DID publish that kids face as PUBLICLY as possible and you have PUBLICLY demonised the kids father. Do you seriously believe that is going to help that childs mental health!?

The video has been on every american news channel in the last few weeks. It is a publicly discussed source.

"Not speaking about it" will not change that. Nor will turning a blind eye to our peers about such things "help it change".

My son wanted to talk about this and I was very pleased to do so.

If that confuses you...I am sorry.

If the father kicking his 6 year old doesn't worry or disturb you...I do not understand you.

If this video seems more abusive and/or disturbing than the actual act it shows...I am lost for words.

MM

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

And this is a bad thing?

yes, Machoism is a destructive influence for many males in societies around the world. Because it is "associated with" anything does't change the fact that it is creating an army of knuckle dragging idiot peers around me.

You can support the act of machoism all you please. But when it takes the form of kicking a 6 year old child from a 15ft ledge, I am a bit concerned that you still defend it in the name of "strength".

Because truly it is weakness and stupidity when it is taken to this extreme.

MM
edit on 6-5-2014 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao
who cares, it's his kid.

the kid was a hot shot.

maybe dad was teaching him some humility.

kid had all the safety equipment on.

15' slope, 1/2 pipe?

it wasn't Acapulco.

Ok...so you don't care if a 6 year old is kicked off a 15ft ledge if its not "your child".

Its that kind of thinking that produces a society where men are raised to kick fragile little children I guess.

Sorry, your logic (or lack of) disturbs me.

MM

no i don't care.

why should i?

give me a reason to care what this dad did.

dad gave him a nudge. it wasn't the cliffs of acapulco.

can you get more emotional about this, mr. mom?

btw, you have never broke a horse when you have only been on one a couple times. have you?

i was 15 but i can see the relation.

crash and burn is a good thing.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

This thread is so informative about the adolescent macho types defending child abuse.

Perhaps it's a case of a guilty conscience concerning the abuse of their own children or bullying in general.

what the hell does that mean??

the kid was not female. even then, lol!!

were you coddled until you were 25?
wtf is wrong with people?

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

no i don't care.

why should i?

give me a reason to care what this dad did.

dad gave him a nudge. it wasn't the cliffs of acapulco.

can you get more emotional about this, mr. mom?

btw, you have never broke a horse when you have only been on one a couple times. have you?

i was 15 but i can see the relation.

crash and burn is a good thing.

Is that your philosophy in life? break a 6 year old like a horse? not care how your peers raise children? Well sir let me congratulate you on being part of the problem in society that produces children who shoot other children. Let me thank you for being careless with your views on how people should be raised in a world filled with broken people.

Let me thank you for not caring who hurts who or the results of it.

Your apathy is concerning. But I expect little from most people. So I don't feel shock over seeing you equate kicking a 6 year old off a ramp to breaking a horse.

Children are not horses sir. And your logic is dreadfully broken.

As for calling me "Mr Mom", oh boy was that clever...

I can easily call you "Mr shallow cardboard cut out of a man". But I won't. I'll let those who know you best point out your lack of empathy and over abundance of apathy.

MM

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

what the hell does that mean??

were you coddled until you were 25?

Coddling? Refusing to accept acts that endanger and mentally harm children is not coddling.

Its a detail of being human.

Perhaps in your little cold world this behavior seems ok. But if the child was crippled or killed, would you still hold the same stance on this?

I would like to think "no". but then again, you have done a good job at painting yourself as a man who supports kicking children off 15 foot drops in a desire to strengthen them.

Good luck doing that in life. There are entire wings of prisons reserved for people who do so. And for good reason. There is zero room in society for people who support this monstrous behavior. And make no mistake...it is monstrous.

Anyone finding this act to be the proper way to make a "man" is surely challenged in the department of manhood.

MM

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Lastly, I owned three horses in my life and have rode horses for over 25 years.

Nobody kicks horses off ledges to "break them".

Your analogies are as pointless as your points.

MM

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Wait...if the 6 yr old child who was kicked from a 15ft ledge was female it would be less right than it is now?

Indeed...what is wrong with people???

You disturb me sir.

MM
edit on 6-5-2014 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In order to get a child to do something like this, scaring the crap out of him is not the way to do it. You start on a smaller scale and work your way up until he has the confidence and skill he needs to do it.
I have coached boys baseball for a long time, and I can tell you that if you have a child scared of the ball when he is batting, you don't sit and throw baseballs at him. It will ruin him as far as the game. You start out tossing to him and work up to it.
The fact is that not all kids are athletes. If he doesn't want to do it, help him find something he enjoys and let him get good at it. I have had parents force their boys to play ball, and believe me it is a waste of everyone's time.

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daz3d-n-Confus3d
In order to get a child to do something like this, scaring the crap out of him is not the way to do it.

Exactly. The father was ready, the child was not.

No reason to be forcing a child to drop in. Its sad that the kid will always be able to say- "My first time dropping in a vert ramp wasn't my choice."

MM

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

If the father kicking his 6 year old doesn't worry or disturb you...I do not understand you.

You see, here you go again!!!
"If the father kicking his 6 year old doesn't worry or disturb you...I do not understand you."
I have stated in every post I have made that what the father did was wrong.

It's rather telling that you ignore my questions but continue to falsely accuse me of not caring!
It seems to me that you're more concerned about what those reading this thread might learn about YOU than you are about the childs welfare!

For all readers coming through this thread please answer the following two questions, they are extremely relevant to your thread!

1. Did you get the childs persmission to post his face on youtube and ats?

2. Do you think that posting the childs face on youtube and ats could hurt the childs mental health?

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Wow! As a mother of 3 and grandmother of 3, I did find the short clip heart-wrenching. Certainly, the father had a momentary lapse of judgment. I say this instead of jumping on the band wagon of being judge and jury, condemning him as a parent. The video does not show the before nor after, nor does it show what their every day homelife is like. Many on this thread are feeding more into unfounded fears of their imaginations.

Obviously, I don't condone what he did, but I also think that a man should not be condemned and villianized by complete strangers due to a short snapshot that may not show the whole story.

I think it is awesome that you addressed this with your son. I think that should be the 'topic' that is discussed. Using such a clip to bond and speak / understand your own relationship with your own children. It certainly can be helpful in sharing personal perspectives, but I don't think it is helpful to make a 'witch trial' out of such videos.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join