Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Need some help for computer that is seriously going through some stuff :)

page: 1

join

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I am at a friends and I am trying to help him fix some problems, but there is are a few things that are seriously hard to find out legitimate information about. I hope that I can get a few tip.

Here is a bit about the laptop.
Toshiba Satellites L505D
Windows 7 Home premium
64 bit operating system

So apparently there is a wifi combo that needs to be done with FN and F8 which will bring down a virtual flash card, I got the menu to come down but the F8 option is not there.

Also his firewall status cannot be changed, and though I ran a check on outdated drivers there are a few and all confirm installation but not the option to run.

I dont know what else to add here, but I will check in and see if there is any other information that I have not added.

Thank you all in advance

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRegretsEver

Are you logged on as administrator?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I can, if I need too.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
F8 is on the keyboard. Hold FN then press the F8 key (assuming that is the correct combination) to toggle Wifi on or off. You can also accomplish the same thing by going to Control Panel > Network Sharing Center > Change adapter settings then right click on the Wifi connection and select Enable. If only Disable is viewable, it is already enabled and (most likely) working properly.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Ive done that , FN pulls up the option to press F8 but F8 isnt there. I went to network sharing as well, and everything there is working correctly, but the internet will not work without an Ethernet cord.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Have you connected to a Wifi network? On the Network Connections page I mentioned, what happens when you right click the wireless connection and select "View available wireless networks?" (Or whatever that option is called. Should be something similar.)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yes, it tries to connect but wont, it keeps reloading.

One says network one connected, and that is because I am online, but with the ethernet cord, and the other says broadband connection, it seems to want to load, but doesnt. I see that there is a few drivers that need to be updated, or reinstalled, but it wont let me do it.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
If you don't see something that says "Wireless Connection" in the Network Connections, then the device is not working properly (Bad drivers or hardware). Now that I think about it, it's possible that Toshiba's Wifi toggle actually disables the hardware completely instead of the connection.

Leave that Network Connections window open and hold the Fn key and press the F8 key on the keyboard. Ignore any menu that pops up when you press the Fn key. If this scenario is correct, the Wireless Connection should show up in the Network Connections _

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I had a similar Toshiba laptop. I'd lose the wi-fi connection occasionally. I'd have to go to Device Manager and right click on the wi-fi card and choose 'Properties'. The Properties menu contained the 'enable\disable' settings, and also the driver updaters.
That was the ONLY method that would work.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
have you checked for a wireless switch?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

The laptop doesnt have an external source for a wifi signal, only a 2 part combo of FN and F8, something has made the option no longer available, since I wrote this and with further instruction, I cannot get windows security center, or change the firewall settings either.

The troubleshooting option cannot fix it on its own.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Ok , i found this

If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'. Then try the Function key/Flash cards + your F8 key again.

If the above doesn't work download the appropriate file to your desktop, and double click to install it, and reboot. You do not mention if you are still running Win7 32bit, or if you have changed to Win7 64bit edition, so only download the appropriate file.

source

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

It took a whole day for me to get the flash card to appear, but now that I have found it of course the only number NOT there is the F8 option

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

There is more information and suggestions in the post and linked thread than just how to make the flash card appear.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Thanks, and I have spent the past hour or so, looking through and trying what was listed, or at least the things that I can understand, since this is a friends computer, I am trying not to make it explode, so I have to be really careful, this problem seems to be one that alot of people have, but the solutions are so vast I find myself doubting to try some.

I guess the last thing that I can do is the so called helpful tips that microsoft offers with hotfix downloads.

BTW, thanks to all of you for this, whatever the solution or not, all the tips are helpful

Peace, NRE.

top topics

join