It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine Reinstates Conscription - BBC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Ukraine's acting President Olexander Turchynov has reinstated military conscription to deal with deteriorating security in the east of the country.

The move, announced in a decree, came as pro-Russia militants seized the regional prosecutor's office in the eastern city of Donetsk. Ukraine blames Russia for organising the seizures of a number of offices in the east, a claim Moscow denies.

Some 40,000 Russian troops are stationed near the Ukrainian border.

Mr Turchynov admitted on Wednesday that his forces were "helpless" to quell the unrest in some parts of the east, saying the goal was now to prevent it from spreading. He also said Ukraine was on "full combat alert", amid fears that Russian troops could invade.

Ukraine Reinstates Conscription - BBC

I think that a military draft means that the situation in Ukraine is getting serious - if you look at what is going on here, the Eastern half of the country has basically become unmanageable. There are Russian troop movements to the east and there are also NATO and EU troop movements to the west.

It looks like Ukraine is about to become a battlefield for an East vs. West war here shortly. With the way the protests were sparked, even the leaking of the original ambassador tape, it all seems like it was planned from the beginning in order to start instability in the country and a war - because of the unknown outside forces involved, I suspect that the situation will escalate rather than de-escalate.
edit on 01pmThu, 01 May 2014 16:32:47 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 01pmThu, 01 May 2014 16:34:25 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

hell even if every man aged 15 up got called up they would still be drastically outnumbered.

what are rules on them hiring contractors?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbakeI think the situation has been escalating since the first stirring of trouble over there. Maybe it was all orchestrated, maybe it wasn't. Either way I think a huge war is brewing.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I think there will be a referendum in the donetsk region on whether to secede and they will break away from Ukraine in similar fashion to that of Crimea, and nothing will be done about it.

Why? Because nobody is stupid enough to make the first move. There's too much at stake for both Europe and Russia.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Because the IMF just told Kiev if they didn't go restore east Ukraine they would not get all those billions in bailout funds. Basically Ukraine.. "No soup for you!"

I believe this ties in rather nicely:

IMF approved the $17bn tranched loan to Ukraine last night, Gazprom gets paid; Ukraine gets its cash; and the door's wide open for the US and EU to pour more 'controlling influence' into the divided nation... Except there's one thing:

** IF UKRAINE GOVERNMENT LOSES EFFECTIVE CONTROL OVER EAST OF COUNTRY, $17 BLN IMF BAILOUT WOULD NEED TO BE REDESIGNED **

IMF Warns Ukraine: Fight For The East Or No Money

Yeah things are starting to heat up.

edit on 962pm1616pm52014 by Bassago because: another typo.. sigh

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hey I wanna see Turchinov Alexander personally to lead a squadron. Oh, wait, 'thau shalt not kill'..he is a pastor, Baptist pastor.

ok then...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think it's brewing up a perfect storm, war storm of course.

I don't think we should get involved to be honest, after all it's not an elected Government in Kiev is it?

But, that won't matter one bit to the West or East, it's full of hypocritical, corrupt liars. They really are looking for all out war, judging by the actions being taken and being encouraged.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Putin has the west in a very precarious situation in the Ukraine .They really cant move in and the kids the Ukraine is going to send to the east cant do the job .It's come down to a game of patience where Russia has all the grub stashed in their blind just waiting for the prey to move in .The west cant pull the trigger and Russia only needs then to do so .

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

en.itar-tass.com...

Looks like Ukraine will be taking Gazprom to court, maybe they don't need that IMF loan just yet.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21 Ukraine needs money now ..

A court case would take years ....

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DAZ21

Looks like Ukraine will be taking Gazprom to court, maybe they don't need that IMF loan just yet.

Yeah but the Gazprom portion of the bailout funds from the IMF is less than 25% of the full amount of money Ukraine is expecting. They want the other ~14 billion euros as well. Looks like they're willing to sacrifice as many of their young people as needed to get it.

edit on 958pm0505pm52014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

You beat me to it my friend!

The IMF is dangling the carrot! EAT IT OR ELSE!!!!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkorange
Hey I wanna see Turchinov Alexander personally to lead a squadron. Oh, wait, 'thau shalt not kill'..he is a pastor, Baptist pastor.

ok then...

Do you think vlad will be on the frontline When Soviet troops enter Ukraine?

I hope so.. Might even turn up myself with a GOL... Might get a lucky shot in.
edit on Thu, 01 May 2014 17:08:43 -0500085America/ChicagoThursday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The die is cast...if anyone doubts it ill give odds....Putin has the forces to go in at hand, and the excuses are adding up...at least propaganda wise....if not for real...
All we await is the succession votes of the various regions and the Troops will be there when called for if not there already in disguise...
The West has Airpower but not a lot of land forces that can be chucked into the cannon fire....so that leaves the grunt work up to the western Ukrainians to pull off...for now....Canada sends a ship to the Baltic for what? a sacrifice to get Canadians riled up?
Its all posturing till the big boys think what they do will meet public approval...then wham!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Putin has the west in a very precarious situation in the Ukraine .They really cant move in and the kids the Ukraine is going to send to the east cant do the job .It's come down to a game of patience where Russia has all the grub stashed in their blind just waiting for the prey to move in .The west cant pull the trigger and Russia only needs then to do so .

Yes, indeed, Ukranian army made of young folks originally from all the regions of Ukraine. No one wants to shoot toward your own home. Nonsense.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

the acting gvt is imf puppets anyway...

they say "redesigned"

so it means (imf to ukraine "gvt") : "do the job we pay you for, or we cut your commission off the deal"

the image of the ukrainians fighting and getting killed to protect an imf deal that is stealing from them is, well, total sad.

let's pray all the weapons of the world turns into pig sh$t before that

motherf$cking bankst$rs
edit on 1-5-2014 by anHairInTheSoup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago

Because the IMF just told Kiev if they didn't go restore east Ukraine they would not get all those billions in bailout funds. Basically Ukraine.. "No soup for you!"

I believe this ties in rather nicely:

IMF approved the $17bn tranched loan to Ukraine last night, Gazprom gets paid; Ukraine gets its cash; and the door's wide open for the US and EU to pour more 'controlling influence' into the divided nation... Except there's one thing:

** IF UKRAINE GOVERNMENT LOSES EFFECTIVE CONTROL OVER EAST OF COUNTRY, $17 BLN IMF BAILOUT WOULD NEED TO BE REDESIGNED **

IMF Warns Ukraine: Fight For The East Or No Money

Yeah things are starting to heat up.

How is that different from Russia's $15 billion loan from last year - you know - the one Putin bribed his lapdog Yankuvich with to start the whole escalation off with? "Here - take this and stop trying to become independent of Russia"

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul

pretty much the same except the latest russia deal signed in january was canceled by the imf one i believe,

+ it was signed by an elected gvt (puppet as well probably but elected).

chances are the russia deal was also less of a scam for the ukrainians than the imf one

ETA: the escalation came from imf because they didn't get the deal in the first place, what the hell are you saying ? that russia makes a deal then they create a civil war so ukraine can make the deal with imf instead. you're not making any sense, catch a neuron please
edit on 1-5-2014 by anHairInTheSoup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
forcing people to fight has always been a popular move

edit on 1-5-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Looks like they can't spend their newly acquired NATO bribe money fast enough. And of course the bulk of it will go straight back to the military industrial complex.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join