It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project Persphone: NASA & British Scientists Building 'Living Space Ark' To Save Humanity

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohio_Ron
a reply to: Chamberf=6

17.5 million years

Well whether it's that or JadeStar saying 2,750,000 million years, like I said I didn't obviously do any math on it, just basic distance and common sense that it's nothing we have to worry about.

Although technically, my millions of years is sort of right.

Or not.

>reaching<

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
sounds just like the movie Elysium smh

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chamberf=6

originally posted by: Ohio_Ron
a reply to: Chamberf=6

17.5 million years

Well whether it's that or JadeStar saying 2,750,000 million years, like I said I didn't obviously do any math on it, just basic distance and common sense that it's nothing we have to worry about.

Although technically, my millions of years is sort of right.

Or not.

>reaching<

My math was wrong. It's like 17 billion years.

The Universe itself will be dead by then by most estimates.

posted on May, 4 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I don't mind staying here, you guys go ahead. I'll will stay and water the plants. *Waves goodbye with a big smile*

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I notice your thread title changes the original. Its a British project with *some* NASA help. You also forget Italy and Netherlands.

Yet you lead with an 'American' intitution

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000
If all those countries are involved then it stands to reason that even BAe and ESA are involved

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei
a reply to: ziplock9000
If all those countries are involved then it stands to reason that even BAe and ESA are involved

Actually they aren't.

This is a design study by the British Interplanetary Society similar to Project Daedalus from the 1970s.

Characterizing it as a project to build actual hardware anytime soon is a little misleading.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

I remember NASA calling for plans for a 100 year spaceship. Guess they are moving forward on the idea here with this news... Interesting.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeekOfTheWeek

I remember NASA calling for plans for a 100 year spaceship. Guess they are moving forward on the idea here with this news... Interesting.

Again, this was a misunderstanding by people in the mainstream media who can't be bothered to read the fine print.

The 100 Year Starship organization is not a part of NASA (though many NASA employed people past and present are involved in it).

Nor is it about building a starship that will fly somewhere in 100 years. It was to build an organization that could last 100 years while accumulating knowledge so such missions would be possible in 100 years or so.

Check them out here: 100yss.org...
edit on 13-5-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Thank you, thanks for the link too. :-)

I will address one issue within this topic. In 1995 a certain Dr. Ning Li developed a 12 inch "room temperature" super conductor. It was powered by 5kw, and you could place a bowling ball over it, and it would just hang there. This is the only link to the actual document published www.thelivingmoon.com...
With this tech, you can control the gravity waves coming from the device, which would let you launch anything you can fit over it to space. I have been unable to find any more information about this device since then, it's like she disappeared off the face of the planet.
Also during the same period, GAC and Russia, designed a modular liquid helium cooled reactor, to "burn up" the mass amounts of fuel the Russians had after their fall. In an interesting point, the first ones built put out exactly 5kw...
So If you had one of these disk, could you mount it under your vehicle, powered by the MLHCR and go to space with ease? I think so.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

cool. They need to address the radiation issue since DNA breaks down in space under normal radiation this craft would encounter.

Just going to poke this with a stick for fun....where is Russia in all this? They not going to launch that too?

lol

cool find. Glad they are doing something constructive. IMO Mars would make a good candidate for a repository or launch site. War is kind of far from mars as of yet and political issues wouldnt interfere with this mission over there.

edit on 5 16 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeekOfTheWeek
a reply to: JadeStar

Thank you, thanks for the link too. :-)

I will address one issue within this topic. In 1995 a certain Dr. Ning Li developed a 12 inch "room temperature" super conductor. It was powered by 5kw, and you could place a bowling ball over it, and it would just hang there.

That's actually not true.

Someone either misunderstood (likely) or misrepresented (even more likely considering the site you got that from) the work of Dr. Ning Li.

Li was actually trying to replicate and verify the claims of Russian physicist Eugene Podkletnov who in the 1990s publish (and retracted) a paper in which he claimed to have produced a gravity shielding effect of 2% from spinning a superconducting disc in a magnetic and RF field.

Podkletnov was flown over by NASA to help them replicate his experiment because if it actually worked it would have helped revolutionize space travel.

Li never was able to reproduce the claimed results.

That's how science works.

This is the only link to the actual document published www.thelivingmoon.com...

That's NOT the only document..... (facepalm)

Why waste your time with that garbage site when a better paper and many more of them exist here:

ArXiv: Eugene Podkletnov

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join