It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to waterproof your 'Truck' to wade through floodwaters.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
With all the flooding going on I thought maybe we should talk about waterproofing your truck.

Notice how I used the word 'Truck' and not car---
I say that because typically trucks stand higher than a car and even in a truck there are very real limits as to how deep you can forge.
Before I start let me also say it is never advisable to try fording fast moving water or water where you cannot see the bottom. Last thing you want to do is drive into a deep washout/hole. better to go around if you can.

But lets talk about what you have to do to make your truck able to wade threw water deeper than your axles.

Not all trucks are the same, you might have to do additional things to yours... but there are something's common to all vehicles and I'll talk about those.

The one place where water can do the most damage on any engine is at the air intake and crankcase breather. Water is not compressible and when it gets into the cylinders, it will lock the engine and sometimes break rods, crankshafts, pins, etc.

Yes they do make a snorkel to raise the height, but that alone will 'NOT' determine how deep you can safely go.

Nowadays electronics might be mounted on the floor. (ECUs are mounted under the seat in some vehicles.) Fuse and breakers are normally mounted on the firewall behind the break pedal. If you do nothing to move them to a higher location or replace them with special made waterproof housings---- this is the true limit to how deep your able to forge.

All other electrical connections can be made relatively water resistant by coating all connections and holes with Dielectric grease. Yes it works on distributors as well as EIM's---Don't forget the wires to the fuel pump. typically found on top of the fuel tank.

A short time spent in water is okay by and by but if your planning on spending a protracted amount of time in the water then you want extend you breather tubes on your axels transmissions and transfer cases.

I almost forgot about your Radiator!
Flood waters are all about debris---Crap floating around--- as in not stuff you want clogging up your Radiator.
My truck actually has three Radiators. one for the engine coolant, another for the AC and a third tranny cooler.

if your going to wade threw flood waters it's a good idea to mount a bug screen or a grill cover to keep all that crap out of there.
also radiator fans hitting the water can bend break or short out.

It would be a pretty good idea to install a cut off switch for the fan(s)... or just get under the hood and pull the wires.

Well I'm going to leave it there for now. But if your serious about making your truck semi-submersible there are plenty of websites and off-roading clubs that can help you with your specific make and model.

Now I'll let other folks throw in their own advice tips and tricks.

edit on 1-5-2014 by HardCorps because: added a photo

edit on 1-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So had this friend,

Built a complete bro-dozer.

Snorkel and all, tries to cross a stream first time out...

So he, would of loved this thread.

For me, I couldn't believe the stupidity of only doing the cosmetic mods to his vehicle while neglect the mechanical ones.

Before trucks it was rice rockets and blown transmissions, so hes used to car repair...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

Most of this stuff I learned the hard way.

Before we moved back to Colorado we lived in Wichita Kansas.
Every year we had some degree of flooding --- 2007 was the worse!
For me it was easier to do the waterproofing rather than try and keep up with all the repairs

edit on 1-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
www.searoader.com...

or buy a boat…..

PDUK

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
you don't need a boat, and you dont need a water proofed truck. what you need is both combined, liked one of these puppies....

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

personally I'd rather have the Gibbs Quadski

But since I don't happen to have $28,000 lying around to spend on cool toys--- I guess I'm stuck doing the work instead of whishing for stuff I can't have.

posted on May, 3 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps
nice tips,but missing a lot! I used to work at the GM proving grounds,we did a lot of water intrusion,and just beat it to death testing. The main thing you think of is intake and exhuast,ok,fine.But the rear axle,transmission dipstick,oil vent,filler cap,rear axle vent,gas tank vent line...the list goes on.Dielectric grease on the wires....and idle thru water,rushing water will mess it all up...the fan can bend into the radiator,belts slip...just avoid water!

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
There is simply NOTHING that important for me to try and drive my truck through water where I can't see the road. Simple as that. Just turn around, and get the heck out before you go into it.

Seriously, where do you have to go that is worth the risk of serious repairs or killing your vehicle?
edit on 6-5-2014 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
bearings in the universal joints of the drive shaft.

Sure, the grease is heavy. But grease and water don't mix; and the joint is like a centrifuge; it will fling any loosened grease, and let the water turn to rust....

CV joints

Water weight is a pint a pound, the world around. Meaning that each gallon of water weighs 8 pounds. in your trunk, in your upholstery, weighing down a flooded car.

Maybe you should google repairing flood damage to get more ideas....

new topics

top topics

join