It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yesterday we had 1 puppy---today we have "2"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Yesterday I posted the thread
Tell me what I should know about 'Border Collie' pup's

telling ya all about how the mother of one of my daughter's classmates gave us a puppy.
the girls named her Rosie.

Thanks for all the advice and shared stories BTW.

Well first thing this morning and I mean just as the sun was coming up... same lady shows up at the house with another pup!

Rosie's sister---
Right now I'm calling her Osa that's the Spanish word for bear--- I'm calling her that because she grunts like a bear cub when you pick her up.

So now we have two pups one for each of my daughters--- and I have firmly told the nice, overly helpful lady, "No More puppy's, please"!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

OMG, now you have a tag team to herd you around the yard LOL. Have fun with them, they are great people!

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Border Collies are brilliant. And they usually go for hundreds of dollars in the 'pet' section of the newspaper. You were 'given' two? Not only did you get two new family members, but you got them without cost? That's awesome! (if you can get 'papers' from her on the puppies, that would be great)
edit on 5/1/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Border Collies are brilliant. And they usually go for hundreds of dollars in the 'pet' section of the newspaper. You were 'given' two? Not only did you get two new family members, but you got them without cost? That's awesome! (if you can get 'papers' from her on the puppies, that would be great)

She did give me the packets for both pups to send in to AKC so I can have them registered...
I guess that cost's like a $100 bucks each???

Since I have no plans to breed them I'm not sure if it's worth the cost and effort.
To me their just a pair of unwanted little ladies in need of a loving family and a forever home.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

I'm calling her that because she grunts like a bear cub when you pick her up.

Just as an aside, I'd get that "grunt" checked to make sure there are no internal problems. A good vet could feel their way around a problem like that for just an exam fee. Its probably nothing…

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Congrats!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Send the papers in. You'll be glad you did. We did that with our sheltie. We didn't breed him, but we were glad we did the papers. You may change your mind in the future and wish you had the papers.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Congratulations! They are fantastic dogs!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I am not sure weather to congratulate you or offer my sympathies .I think I will just say good luck :>)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Awesome, I always wanted a Boarder collie, ridiculously smart, be careful the smart ones are trouble.

My Puggle got frisky with my brothers Dachshund, He had two puppies, they are the two big ones.

Then on the day he was to go to the Vet to get fixed, he got out and hit up the neighbors Rat terrier...

Gratuitous puppy

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

I have an Uncle who was the very same way!

It was all those child support checks that made him go get fixed.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Geez, since you are happy about it, I will say your very lucky. Send some of that luck my way. I would be happy to take in a new puppy, that someone just had to get rid of.

(That would be the only way I could get away with it, with hubby!)

I bet you have two very happy daughters huh?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

To heck with the dogs. . .

THERE'S A GIANT PINK DOT ABOUT TO ATTACK YOUR CHILDS FACE!!!!!!!

RUN!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Yeah, yeah--- Right now I'm the coolest dad in the entire universe.

Ask then how they feel about dear ole dad, after I make them take the pups out for their before bed and right at dawn walkies?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Seems UFO's
unidentified facial objects
have to be color coordinated these days...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Geez, since you are happy about it, I will say your very lucky. Send some of that luck my way. I would be happy to take in a new puppy, that someone just had to get rid of.

(That would be the only way I could get away with it, with hubby!)

I bet you have two very happy daughters huh?

Careful what you wish for, Im the dog dump for all my irresponsible friends, they get a dog they can't handle they Know Ill take them before I let them put them in a pound.

next thing you know your drowning in dogs.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

having border collies means never having to make another decision again. Bit of control freaks in that breed.

Good companions, though. And very cute pups

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Congrats on the new furry family members. I had a border collie before our current aussie shepherd and here are my words of advice, especially since you have 2 now...

-Even though you have your daughters walking them, they will likely see you as "pack master" / alpha. Since they are so smart, if they get upset, and they will get upset at some point, your things will probably be the target of their devastating teeth. So if you have anything that you really love/can't live without, put it up now. I don't mean just out of reach, I mean hide it on the top shelf of a closet somewhere.

-they are great problem solvers and ours could open regular doors, garbage cans, pantry bi-folds and the fence gate.

-Our girl not only knew a ton of words, but also knew how they were spelled so we couldn't even spell the word walk without her going nuts.

-get LOTS of toys (& frisbee's) & training treats... I can not stress this one enough! Fill a small bin with toys for them, put it by their dog bed & you will be able to train them to pick their toys up. It gives them a job & they will need these. Keep a bin of treats handy for rewards.

-as for jobs for them, some suggestions. Train them to get their own leashes for walks. Have them retrieve your slippers when you get home. Got any yard-work to do? These little buggers will help you take care of any small sticks. We had our girl trained to pick them up and drop them in piles for us. Simple tasks like these will be critical because a bored collie is trouble.

- They are good usually good judges of character and you'll likely come across a situation where your dogs will not like certain people being to close to you/your daughters. They will stand between you and that person, try to herd you away from them, etc....

Most importantly, they are fiercely loyal to their people and love being close to them. They are cuddlers, talkers & have no clue that they are not lap dogs. They are really great dogs & your daughters are lucky girls to have new best friends.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
There awsome dogs, grew up from the age of 10 to 24 with 2 boarder collies, they have lots of energy, are great with kids, they love to chew on anything, so no shoes left for easy prey. Run them like there horses and they will love you for it.
edit on 1-5-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

They are adorable, look at those cute puppy dog eyes! If someone showed up on my doorstep with puppies I couldn't say no either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join