It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Driver caught using cell phone jamming device

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
They should give the guy a five dollar fine and a medal for doing their jobs for them. In many states it is illegal to text or talk on the phone while driving and the cops are clearly not enforcing this law enough. There should be a device built into every car that disables phones while you are in the car this would help to save lives. Far too many idiots that can barely handle a car are causing crashes because they want to text instead of paying attention to the road. Cell phones are one of the worst inventions unleashed on mankind.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Oh man looking at that cig pack jammer with 20 ft radius gives me all sorts of ideas. Lol.

I can see that some people have bonded with their cell phone here and the thought of losing their twit feed for 10 secounds is so unthinkable to them it is on par with assault, natural disaster, imminent peril or death, I imagine those people pick there go,es based on 4g coverage and half maps of dead zones to avoid like cracks in the side walk same as people with certain obsessive compulsive disorders.

Could you imagine placing a cig pack size jammer with say an 8 or 9 ft range in their bumper or somewhere it would just effect them.

I think you could rig it to where fm signals would get through. Would their world be turned upside down because they couldn't use their phone.

Lack of sleep has given me a "GRIM" sense of humor this morning. Once I get some sleep I will self sensor these thoughts and comments.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmicexplorer

No thanks. What about someone stuck in a car? Or calling 911 because you're being pulled over by someone you suspect isn't a real police officer? I couldn't even pull over to make a call? Too many drawbacks to this idea

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Lack of sleep has given me a "GRIM" sense of humor this morning. Once I get some sleep I will self sensor these thoughts and comments.

Makes sense.. but.

Blocking someones ability to communicate can have dire consequences. So dire in fact that 9-1-1 doesn't even require an activated cell phone to connect with.

Sometimes I take great glee in noticing people asking for ways of controlling others because they think others are too dumb to do it for themselves/too dangerous, while being the same people that complain about losing freedoms.

Talk bout a grim sense of humor.

You shouldn't have power over someone elses cell phone or their person. You can't control how dangerous they act. What you can do is shame anyone you know who texts while driving. Having a Social Society is what's going to save us if we survive. Laws and technologies won't do it... Knowing your fellow humans well enough to not want to ram a 3,000 pound car into them is really the only way.. Otherwise we just delay the fall..

The FCC is protecting your right to use the electromagnetic spectrum in a way that doesn't interfere with other people using the same or similar frequencies. It's very similar actually to traffic laws governing lanes.. If you want to use electromagnetic energy any way you see fit then maybe someone else wants to use kinetic energy any way they see fit.. haha...

edit on 1-5-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I guess he thought his safety was worth it. I have seen many times over people texting and swerving, driving really slow while they text, running off the road, running red lights, driving into oncoming traffic. I seen a cop the other day on his cell phone texting and driving 15 mph in a 30 zone he had a line of cars following, luckily I was in the other lane!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Maybe have all calls blocked except emergency calls (911)...

A device that allows emergency calls and allows calls while the vehicle is stopped in park gear, but will not allow calls while the vehicle is in motion for other than emergencies (911).

Something really does have to be done here about these inattentive drivers dividing their limited attention between driving and blabbering on the phone and texting.

I see this stuff every day when I'm on foot, on my bicycle (hell, I even see idiots riding bicycles texting and blabbering), and drivers veering about failing to stop or signal cuz they are too busy talking to do stuff correctly.

Something has to be done, nobody has the right to endanger others for no good reason whether they realize it or not.

a reply to: KnightLight

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

how did they do it in the old days? im just saying..if bein on the phone is such a big risk...but i havent seen any data that it is such a risk....not to say it doesnt exist

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Is vigilante action any better than government sanctioned law enforcement?
No.
In fact, it's much worse. Less effective, less just, more collateral damage.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Buy them on Ebay of course!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: cosmicexplorer
a reply to: RedParrotHead

how did they do it in the old days? im just saying..if bein on the phone is such a big risk...but i havent seen any data that it is such a risk....not to say it doesnt exist

It's a BIG risk...

Watch all the drivers who look drunk these days.. It's almost always a cell phone causing the swerving.. I'd rather be in the car with someone stoned than texting.. That said I won't block everyone's ability to communicate over a wide area just because I think I am right and have this power...

Put it this way.. You cannot force someone to pay attention.. Someone who wants to be distracted will be, and most people do because having quiet dead air space alone with only your thoughts and your good deeds to keep you company.... Well, that's Hell on Earth now isn't it??

The only solution is increased awareness that other humans are real living beings and they want to go home and see their kids after work. Then one would be less inclined to risk that other persons life...Besides I have seen you humans text... Maybe if it was always sex pics, but sadly it's mostly texts like "I'm in traffic."

Obviously my dislike of dangerous acts does not give me the right to simply override their free will as a civilian. This power is reserved for officials of the state. This brings in checks and balances that larry in the truck next to me won't follow.

Oh and Don't F with the FCC.... Similar Jamming technologies could have horrendous effects if one were to think about it a little.. These rules are in place for our service.
edit on 1-5-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I have several of these things. I have to admit, I generally have one if I'm on a motorcycle and if it looks like the other people at the intersection are too busy yapping on their phones, Click! and down goes the call.

They are also LOADS of fun at the Walmart.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmicexplorer

There have been a lot of studies on the stupidity of texting while driving. A hands free device I really have no problem with as that can be viewed as talking to a passenger in the vehicle with you.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

I see what your saying but do you realize that incessant complaining about my thoughts just comes across to me as you trying to controll how I think.

This is just a suggestion but you should chill nobody besides the guy in the op has done anything wrong and personally I kind of admire him you aren't changing my mind on that and I am not expecting you to change yours.

Legally he was in the wrong but I understand the dude it's to bad you can't. Oh well free country and all I am just glad there isn't any thought police or prescribe cogs.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
so most of you in this community usually throw around cute lines regarding "your freedom so long as it dosnt impede upon mine" or similar values.

but there is high support here for abrasively stopping other citizens from using their phones. just because of your own issues with them being used.

mm hm

blame the object not the person. or does that line of thinking only apply to gun ownership rights.
what about the people not driving? what about people that arent even IN vehicles being affected? what about emergencies? what about built in dash blu tooth calling, or just the headsets people use. are you guys all assuming the only use of phones is texting?
did you know gps isnt the only thing needed to use the map directions? by phone you need that 3-4g connection as well for the software.

oh but hey. personal agendas.

for once i agree with the government on this one. might as well call yourself a terrorist. assholes.
edit on 1-5-2014 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2014 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

It's a steep fine, but thinking about it, as much as his intentions might have been good...he may have been putting his and other road users safety at even more of a risk by jamming the phones.

What's the first thing people will do if the phone is jammed and goes dead?

Start fiddling with it, check it out and generally take their attention off the road and onto the phone even more.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Hey, my car stereo system doesn't let me fiddle with it at all if the car is in motion. Even if I'm in the passenger seat and NOT driving, which is annoying as hell. I sure hope they work out the kinks in this soon and then maybe they can apply it to phones too.

Also, I think it's a good comparison between testing and driving and drinking and driving. Both impair your ability to react, and, frankly, both would be fine with me if it was just just the texter/drinker who got hurt or died (natural selection and all that), but it's not, it always seems to be the innocent who die.

edit on 5/1/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Is vigilante action any better than government sanctioned law enforcement?
No.
In fact, it's much worse. Less effective, less just, more collateral damage.

You actually make a fair point, and it's why I carefully noted my desires are the stuff of amused day dreams and nothing I'd actually DO. Not in public and something like traffic, especially. I suppose I think back to a couple traffic jams I was in where people ran up the right shoulder ..and folks who spend time on the interstates know trucks will often roll to the shoulder and physically stop that nonsense.

A couple times over the years...people running up the side were legitimate for doing it. I mean medical emergency is why they were on the road in the first place. It makes it sticky...to realize that 1:1000 actually is there and someone just interfered with a dire need in an attempt to stop the highway trolls.

Same thing with the cell, in a real sense as I've thought of it. Somewhere on the road will (or may) be someone on the phone with a doctor, emergency room or police for reasons we can't guess at...then someone comes along with good intentions, to do real serious harm without ever realizing it.

Yup..I like to day dream about tweaking the nose of cell phone drivers...but the reality would just carry too much risk of real negative outcomes, I'd think.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

holy cow 1 out of 5 saying they surf the web while driving! I dont know how you could even do that hahaha

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Here is something a bit more "fun" in the way of good jamming technology.

Link

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Or they might even be a doc or law enforcement or someone to who a phone is a key component to them doing their job and maybe saving a life. In this case they should have special hardware and/or licenses to use and get priority frequencies, maybe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join