It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driver caught using cell phone jamming device

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well, I'll bet a few of us have thought about this. I'll admit, as a trucker, I considered it more than once. Of course, I never did it, but I listened to many other truckers talk about it around truck stop counters. Make your own rolling "Get OFF that phone *NOW*" zone. Ahh... Yeah, The stuff of daydreams.

As long as it stays a dream, of course. It's not just a bad idea. It's illegal. Err...it's not just illegal.. Well.. this is some fine.

A Florida man is facing a $48,000 fine for using a "jammer" in his SUV to keep people around him off of the phone while he was driving.

The Federal Communications Commission says that Jason R. Humphreys used a phone jammer in his vehicle during his daily commute on I-4 between Seffner and Tampa for about two years before he was caught.
Source (emphasis mine)

So who do you think is more sympathetic here? The guy making his own 'No Cell' zone, or the people trying to use their phones in the morning and evening commute? I guess it doesn't matter for his near $50,000 fine (AHEM... WOW! What big teeth the FCC have these days).

I guess that answers the odd question I had out there about whether they worked though. Too well, as he found, since the story also mentions they just tracked the jamming with directional equipment. The same as tracking a signal. Errr... Oops.. Hadn't thought of that, obviously.

Still.. $48,000? Ever wonder who and what these fines actually are intended (let alone actually DO) fund? I've got no idea..but I do wonder at least.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Great story wrabbit honestly I have maybe thought of having a jammer a few times but not for traffic it would be at my house when having a shindig then you get certain people bringing their drama to the party via cell and not having courtesy to leave ear range of the group.

I will read further into this later my minds not to focused ATM. One goal will be to see if it is illegal on my own property. Well it probably is. Hey I through a few get togethers where I made everyone turn in their keys and phones upon the end of the night some just got their phones to call rides or I called them cabs.

Anyway do you know what those things cost? Now I am really tempted to learn from his mistake and do it better.

Again I am not feeling like myself ATM.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Okay, don't give into the dark side now. lol.....

I'll also admit though, I considered being a bit sadistic about it. Like the wise guy with a second remote at the sports bar to..oopsy..power off at the worst moment. (err.. I've heard of it, anyway)

I pondered a few times in rush hour traffic, how amusing it could be to just turn it on for a few seconds at a time, every couple minutes. (grin) Just long enough to cut connections, and get back into the new call again.

Errr.. I know.. bad bunny. Just a daydream.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

So who do you think is more sympathetic here? The guy making his own 'No Cell' zone, or the people trying to use their phones in the morning and evening commute?

seriously ?

in no particular order - what about :

the passengers in surrounding vehicles who can use phones and other devices with no restrictions

the people with hands free systems [ they are legal hear [ UK - as long as all interface is voice activated and audio playback ]]

the guy is just an ass - plain and simple

edit to add :

also - people on public transport and pedestrians he drives past - all are using devices legally ???

edit on 1-5-2014 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
You don't think that losing a signal mid conversation is going to distract the user a little bit more than just talking? Probably going to try to redial and such. Seems a bit more dangerous.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I like this idea ahelluvalot and props to the guy.....

On a similar note, i have often considered playing the lotto just in case i win.

In which case my new hobby will be to go around crashing my car into drivers on their phones, just for giggles, like.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

The only thing more insanely dangerous on a cell phone while driving than a woman would be a construction contractor. Both have come close to crashing me or running me down while crossing s parking lot many times. Texting you ask? Why watch the road when you can text or email. Of course my all time favorite is the police on the cell phone while not wearing the seat belt and cruising the roads. I say jam away there is one that fits into a cigarette box or an altoids tin for the DIY person on Hack a Mod.

edit on 1-5-2014 by MarlinGrace because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Oh my. Lol

I think I will be stoping by RadioShack on the way home today. That 20ft radio us one will be perfect for what I have in mind. Thanks for the link.

You know there are days I wish for an apocalyptic REVOLUTION type of event like that tv show I lost interest in.

Maybe not that extreme but some days the dark side does tempt me so much.

Never go full Sith.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I've fantasized about having a device like this for some time, pretty much since cell phones started appearing. Not necessarily a bubble (Cone of Silence) type, but rather maybe something that can be targeted at the offender weaving all over the road.

Driving used to be enjoyable for me, I used to only worry about the drunks who may be on the road, now I have to worry about the idiots texting and driving 24/7 as well.

But you are right, it's illegal and a type of vigilante justice.

The FCC says that jamming devices cannot be authorized because they can compromise the integrity of the nation's communications infrastructure, including 911 and police calls during an emergency.

Since his device was compromising the cell phone towers, I would imagine that he wasn't having just a effect on those around him, but also State-wide.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   

It's a good thing he wasn't driving past a flightline or an airport. He probably would have ended up shot to death. I made that mistake once, luckily I was on base and we just got a call from the tower telling us to knock it off.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Dangerous or not, it is legal there hands or not. Imagine you are legally on your phone talking to a loved one at the hospital, getting a call from the school about your kid, or calling in an accident on the side of the road and this guy decides he doesn't like the law and cuts you off. Not only has he cut you off, but he is now stuck in traffic because of the accident and nobody is getting through.

Jamming a legal bandwidth is highly illegal and also very stupid as most jammers are not as selective as they intend to be and have various other unintended consequences with unintended devices. For example, right in the middle of the popular UHF 3g and 4g cell phone bands lies the 960–1215 MHz: Aeronautical Radionavigation frequencies. I would be very skeptical that he was jamming the cell phones and not affecting this band as well.

Fine : well-deserved

edit on 1-5-2014 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

Okay, don't give into the dark side now. lol.....

I'll also admit though, I considered being a bit sadistic about it. Like the wise guy with a second remote at the sports bar to..oopsy..power off at the worst moment. (err.. I've heard of it, anyway)

I pondered a few times in rush hour traffic, how amusing it could be to just turn it on for a few seconds at a time, every couple minutes. (grin) Just long enough to cut connections, and get back into the new call again.

Errr.. I know.. bad bunny. Just a daydream.

Do you know the first years in Iraq we would have literally killed for those. Talk about misappropriation of funds. We had a guy that could build one from our existing equipment but the military has this thing about modifying equipment and peacetime command when first transitioning into wartime has a thing about their damn guidelines and rules even when they are dumb and useless even dangerous.

I can just imagine how many lives could have been saved with some cheap Jamers issued to at least every platoon with a variable field.

Anyway it still sounds like something I would like to have on hand or at least a fun little project to tinker on when I an having a restless night.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

My unit received some of the first jammers in Iraq. Within two weeks of being installed, they were all uninstalled and stored away.

The damn things jammed EVERYTHING, even our own radios, encrypted or not, played hell with the Blue Force tracker as well.

The military lives on the term of Shoot, Move & Communicate and things can get hairy real quick once you remove the Communicate part.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Yeah they were nearly worthless because of how powerfully they were. I rolled in with them as their part of my basic load out to my mos. imagine if they had simple yardage settings platoons could somewhat or at least eliminate a possible det method and safe an area until an engineer or my team showed.

There is the right way the wrong way and the army way.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
Well, I'll bet a few of us have thought about this. I'll admit, as a trucker, I considered it more than once. Of course, I never did it, but I listened to many other truckers talk about it around truck stop counters. Make your own rolling "Get OFF that phone *NOW*" zone. Ahh... Yeah, The stuff of daydreams.

As long as it stays a dream, of course. It's not just a bad idea. It's illegal. Err...it's not just illegal.. Well.. this is some fine.

As much as I like the idea of being safe while I drive, I still am NOT ok with citizens taking the law in their hands and applying it when they need to. This is just a step away from anarchy. And besides, how did he know when people actually had a device in their hands? They could have been using headsets, bluetooth devices, speakerphone... Those are very common now.

Bottom line, being worry for your own safety doesn't give one the right to take over the law and apply it against other people.

The amount of the fine is huge but hey, now others know not to screw around.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
People talking and texting and emailing while driving from the second they leave home is dangerous and probably add 45 minutes to my 1 hour commute. Takes them 10-15 seconds to get moving when the light turns red and then only three cars make it through, but hey hell with all the cars and trucks exponentially piling up behind them. This is severely eating into MY time and quality of life, and believe me, I am totally not a road-rage type doing or thinking person, but it scares me that there are many moments I would happily shoot most of them not just jam them.

They alternately leave gaps preventing others from being able to make a turn or block intersections, drive slowly and erratically, and will crash into something before dropping the phone, which has somehow taken over their brain's priority. I've seen people come to a dead stop in the right lane in a 45 mph zone to text. This is insanity. I'm surprised there aren't even more accidents, but apparently moving at a snail's pace limits the severity and quantity.

I could go on and on, but my blood pressure is already going up as I'm about to start my long journey. My driving time has always been about getting AWAY from phones and work and people and enjoying some music and looking at the birds and trees and thinking at the red lights and people watching. But now as I look around as I sit in traffic for almost two hours to drive 26 miles, I count 9 out of 10 distracted by their phone. And the cops aren't out to stop this illegal activity because 1.) traffic is too bad and they would make it worse pulling them over and 2.) there are just too many of them.

It's a traffic disease. But jamming them doesn't sound like it's the answer either. Common sense might be, but that's trumped by the oh-so-many reasons can't stay away from their work or Facebook or loneliness or whatever the hell it is that compels them from the second they pull out of their driveways for the 35 or so minutes it SHOULD take to go 26 miles.

Just grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. And now jamming doesn't even seem to be an answer. Who can afford that. But I would SO do it if I had the fine money. I would.

But then, whoever said it would distract the morons even more was right. It would make it worse as they freaked out because they an't reconnect to their lifelines. Rolls eyes.

edit on 5/1/2014 by ~Lucidity because: needed to add the eye roll.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Maybe there should be a cell-phone jammer built into every car to increase the amount of attention a driver commits to operating the vehicle they are driving.

I know this may be inconvenient for the passengers, but then being in a traffic accident is way less convenient than not being able to aimlessly and uselessly babble for no good reason.

Really though, does anyone here even remember a time when you needed to wait to talk to someone ?, no matter how un-necessary and trivial, or how important what you had to say was, you had to concentrate on driving your damned vehicle simply because that was what you were in the driver's seat to do.

I think if it were not possible to yack on cell-phones while driving, those safety devices that are in cars now would reduce fatalities and injuries by quite a few instances.

Being distracted and a danger to others is not a right like some tards seem to believe it is.

The fine the guy got is a tad ridiculous but what is the FCC going to do if he can't pay it?, make him homeless and free?.

If only more people understood how useless they are.....

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be ironic if some driver hit this guy because he/she was fiddling with their phone, wondering why it wasn't working?

Driving while using a mobile device is an epidemic. During my hour commute I see pretty much every driver using the phone in some way. I'd be lying if I said I never glanced at my texts at a red light or answered a call while driving.

IMO the texting-while-driving crowd (who are usually younger, less experienced drivers) are the big problem. I constantly see people running into stopped/slowed traffic ahead of them.

That being said, that fine is way too high even for an asshat who takes matters into his own hands.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Nobody sees an issue here for any reason at all??

How quick does he turn off the jammer when he notices the women being chased by her crazy ex husband down the street? Or how about the guy who carries around the jammer on purpose as part of his stalk the prey camo??

Blocking someones ability to contact 9-1-1 should be illegal period. Ever been in the passenger seat and noticed a drunk driver and then called the cops to get him off the road? I have, but good thing I wasn't jammed or this guy could have killed somebody.

I had a radio license and remember the FCC being very particular about which bandwidth one can use and in what way. It's pretty simple. no need to get into other uses of similar electromagnetic devices and misuses of the microwave spectrum..

edit on 1-5-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
you could make the whole highways a "jammed" area...then in germany they have emergency phones placed every few kilometers or so...so if you really needed a phone you could walk to one....or someone could drive to one and call for help....if its that big of a deal its worth the investment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join