It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea/Solution: Instead of home room in the schools, let the students learn about hospitality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Idea/Solution: Instead of home room in the schools, let the students learn about hospitality. The way I see it is why not make students learn how to take care of one another and treat each other better, rather than just sit in homeroom class knocking off. Yes I know some students are productive, but the majority are just playing around. Being a substitute teacher in the past, I know the scenario all too well. So here is an opportunity to show some possible improvements on how our youths treat each other. Instead of homeroom during school lunches, make all the students learn to be waiters and waitresses and take care of their fellow classmates. Think of all the problems this could possibly solve.

Let's start off with each individual learning some respect, manners, and courtesy to their fellow peers. Refer to this thread...www.abovetopsecret.com... ... I really don't think everyone understands what exactly it is a wait person goes through in doing their job. All the diverse cultures and personalities that we deal with day in and day out. Learning to adapt to said cultures and personalities as well, which in turn would help out with understanding each individuals needs.

Being a fine dining waiter I am considered one of the elite in my field. When approaching a table, within the first few seconds of talking to them I know what their needs are as far as leaving them alone or being personable with them the whole time. Having regulars, I know if they are vegetarians, have nut allergies, have a gluten free diet, ect., multi tasking skills improve, people skills improve, I mean the list goes on.

There is a movie called "Waiting" that a few guests have voiced their concerns about when talking to them. Mainly worrying about what the waiters are doing being closed quarters with their food and drinks, but have since realized after watching that movie that the way they treat their waiter brings about a more relaxed feel about others handling their food and drinks. Many have admitted being complete jerks with their waiters and have since changed their way of thinking and treat them better now. Hmmm maybe this could aid in all the bullying going on and who knows what other problems it may aid in solving. When kids move from middle school is usually when you have a few schools from different sides of the tracks, so to say, come together in the high schools. So maybe middle school is where maybe this should start to take place. Now since 15% or higher tips cannot be given, they instead can be given different color vouchers which would designate a 15% tip for good service, 18% tip for better service or 20%+ tip for excellent service. The school in turn can break it down to how they would like to reward the students for all these tip vouchers the way the school feels fit, maybe even have a vote from the students for their rewards. The incentives alone would make students want to work for a goal of treating others good to make good tip vouchers.

Just an idea that has been on my mind for years now and seeing all the violence in schools as of lately, not to mention a lot of other problems with how we treat each other within our country, don't see how it could possibly make things worse.

Things are only getting worse in our countries schools and there doesn't seem to be anybody coming up with solutions to help out with the problems. So I come to this community with the expectation of either adding to it, or coming up with a better solution. Feel free to add to the fine tuning of this idea to make it work. We have enough people seeing the problems, but not enough people helping with the creating of solutions.
edit on 30-4-2014 by believerofgod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
are you suggesting turning education into vocational training?

or just including that ONE vocation as a core subject?

why don't we use it to teach them to to be soldiers? or politicians in that class..

why hospitality??

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: okamitengu

Really I believe they need to learn hospitality first before teaching them to politicians and soldiers. Without teaching kids ethics they would grow up to be future war criminals(Our politicians as an example). People need to learn compassion and morals.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

im just not sure if you mean basic manners and human interaction or teach everyone to be a customer service representative??

do you think everyone needs to wait on someone else just to get perspective?
im just trying to understand the motivation here

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Hmmm instead of hospitality there should be community service learning, teach kids the importance of helping out the community.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Hmmm instead of hospitality there should be community service learning, teach kids the importance of helping out the community.

that entirely different from teaching them to wait tables! I'm wokring to try to blueprint some real changes for society, and am always on the lookout for new ideas and concepts.

teaching kids what being a member of a community is often comes up.

education fails so many now.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

In my old High School they used to emphasize the importance of being part of a community (Not sure if they still do it). In fact we have a class devoting to teaching us the importance of helping out the community and part of our homework is to do community service. I believe all schools should have this as part of their curriculum. By teaching kids the importance of a community they learn how to care about the community and have manners on how to behave in their community. In essence we are teaching them how to have good manners in their community.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I am suggesting that we use the wasted time of being in a homeroom for 30-45 mins and turning it into being a useful and educational lesson on how to treat your fellow peers. What better way to provoke this way of thinking than in our education system that must be followed? May I ask what your profession sir?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Double post :
edit on 1-5-2014 by believerofgod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: believerofgod
Phone not as good as PC...be right back
edit on 1-5-2014 by believerofgod because: double and triple posting

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Please read the other thread I am speaking of, and you will know what it is I am referring to. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal You are correct sir in your way of critical thinking. I have had friends that left for the Army and Marines right out of high school, only to come back as soldiers stuck in the art of war... kill, kill, kill. They lacked the simple way of thinking when returned to their society. You see the military does not care how you end up when you return from such traumatic events that are left dwelling in ones experiences from returning from war. They only care about teaching you how to advance in territories that do not belong to us and maintaining control of said territory. My friends are not the same friends that left before war... they are completely different now. To have the simple basics of treating your fellow peers is what is important, and by teaching some simple basic ways of being around peers/communities that care for them is what brings their way of thinking back to the real world... respect,manners, and courtesy is what those basics are.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: believerofgod
I am suggesting that we use the wasted time of being in a homeroom for 30-45 mins and turning it into being a useful and educational lesson on how to treat your fellow peers. What better way to provoke this way of thinking than in our education system that must be followed? May I ask what your profession sir?

i am a small business IT support administrator
im not sure just changing one part of the educational doctrine will do much.

the whole education system, and in fact most of our social systems are broken.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The motivations should come from the incentives of having many vouchers to return for rewards. In waiting tables as I do for a second job, the motivation is tips from excellent service and being able to pay my bills. Not only that, but for me putting aside and not stereotyping individuals because of their race is what makes me so successful in being able to pull tips out of said individuals. I don't think you understand because you have probably never done what I do. It is an acquired trait that not many have, but with time many can achieve the same skill I possess. But all that aside, I still treat everyone with respect, manners, and courtesy.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
So what may I ask do you suggest to correct and possibly change that? I have given my request and suggestion... what is yours? Not that it matters but I have best friend who is a level 3 at Rackspace in the IT department as well. I am familiar with IT as that is all he ever talks about when we have conversations... hahaha!

edit on 1-5-2014 by believerofgod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I see your point, however in middle and high school there is no other community that they belong to or ever will until they are done with school, period. That is their life and what they pick up from and it will follow them for the rest of their lives, even if it is naive and ignorant. What is it that will have significance and a sense of integrity that they follow from there on to their end of life?

edit on 1-5-2014 by believerofgod because: one letter

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
This coincides with this thread...www.abovetopsecret.com... ... just a suggestion mind you.

top topics

join