It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Accepting stupidity as a social norm

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:04 PM
I ride the short bus to ATS.

Life works for me!

But then again, I'm not measuring myself against anyone else to determine my own worth.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:02 PM
This is something I'll admit I struggle with. I am ex infantry and too me stupid is no situational awareness and people who dont/cant do their job. Unfortunately that's just the military molded into me. In regards to intelligence I love meeting new people, everyone has a story and that's how you learn. Some of the best pieces of advice I have ever been given are from complete strangers.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:29 PM
a reply to: onequestion

I envy stupid people... really. I do.

I know someone who says "I don't know how to do that" and they get away with it.

If I say "I don't know how to do that" I hear in response... "That's okay, you can figure it out. I have faith in you." Other people don't hear that, they just don't have to do it then since they don't know it.

its idiotic, I get punished for not being stupid.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:47 PM
I'm glad you started this, because, I, for one am sick and tired of stupid people being in control. What in the hell ever happened to, "If you work hard and be honest, you will get a lot out of life."

PFFTTT....Yeah right. Don't work that way anymore.

If your not an ass kisser, you ain't goin' me, I know......

And the old adage, "Work smarter, not harder." No one seems to know what in the hell that means. People seem more happy if you work yourself to death, get an injury from doing your job, If you work in a factory, it's called a RSI.

Repeditive Stress Injury. Then, they treat you like you like you did something wrong. Then you get fired, because you did your job, you become an insurance liability. Been there, done that.

Sorry, got on a rant........but I'm sure a few people on here can relate to what I'm saying.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:56 PM
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I have been in your shoes, and still am......I try to act as stupid as possible, but, it just doesn't work. Maybe I shouldn't talk in proper English, people have a tendancy to be intimidated by that for some reason.

Or, if someone asks you a question, god forbid if you should actually answer it for yourself. People want to hear what they want. I, for one, am not one of those people.

Blunt, straight up, to the point....people don't like that either......

I say, "put on your BIG (girl / boy) didies, and grow up, and get over it, and move on.

How in the hell else do we still learn things???

Or is that a lost art to?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:12 PM
a reply to: thepolish1

true that.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:14 PM

originally posted by: onequestion
How do you deal with dumb people?

Society deals with them by giving them TV shows or air time on TV ... like Maury and Springer .... reality TV shows like The Kardashians and Honey Boo Boo and Dance Moms. Stupidity and being sloppy are celebrated. It's sad.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:22 PM
Stupidity doesn't get to be determined by you OP. The mere fact that your are so bold and forward with 'intelligence' and willingness to put down others that you deem lesser pretty much proves a lot to me about you

People seem to think things like IQ or intelligence is objective and a great measure of who you are as a person. Measure a person by their deeds and for all that is good and holy, let's stop pretending we are the penultimate.

As far as IQ goes, IQ generally measures pattern recognition and ability to learn in conventional situations and IQ and intelligence do not equal success.

But still, people adore to spout their supposed intelligence level

If you ever get bored, go to a forum and make a thread with a poll that asks what people's IQ's are. You've be amazed how many geniuses you'll meet. It's incredible

Intelligence is someone who realizes they don't know a thing

I am not there. I am not intelligent because frankly I still feel like I am so wise and smart...which is total BS

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:36 AM
I think Socrates, among a few others who are too seldom referenced to in book lists said something very similar to what you just stated.

I'm just a stoooopid person trying to sound like I actually even know how to read.

a reply to: KyoZero

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:57 AM
on the roads...on the roads!!!!
I see human stupidity nearly every day.
and I'm sure it has nothing to do with IQ...just humans being stupid

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>