It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accepting stupidity as a social norm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hi and welcome to Onequestions crazy house of horrors. On today's episode we will be discussing the stupidity of stupid.

Should we allow room for stupidity? How do you deal with dumb people?

In my opinion (due to change) we should not allow people to make te choice of remaining willfully ignorant or plainly stupid. refuse it's existence.

I've come to this conclusion after observing many a times when seemingly intelligent people do or say nothing BECAUSE they are intelligent and have wisdom. BUT is that right? Should we be leaders and take a stronger stance against this disease consuming our culture?

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Why do you believe you are intelligent?
Serious question...

Stupidity also is a fairly subjective measurement. A person with a fast processor may not necessarily be original, creative, or useful in society. Someone whom is slower than normal may spend considerable time pondering ideas and information in order to gain wisdom and insight that a fast processor may never arrive at.

I do however find, those ultimately cursing "the stupids" are often overcompensating.
I have met clever people. I have met people so intelligent that I felt very small nearby. One common thread I noted however was them not sneering at my inferior intellect...I have however seen those of weaker mindsets quick to cast venom.

This doesn't mean stupid -ideas- aren't good fodder to be sneered at. That is a great way to clear the debate pool of the dysfunctional elements...stupid ideas...sure, stupid people..well, best to curse yourself first, because whoever you are, you are a drooling idiot compared to someone else.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Yes people should try and keep their neighbors in check. Thats a pretty big challenge though when some of our biggest problems come from smart folks who take their jobs way too seriously. TV has all but killed common sense. When you get 90% of people only learning how to do one thing well in there lives you get a population where 90% don't really know anything at all.... It's a recipe for disaster, especially when everyone is entitled to so much.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

because whoever you are, you are a drooling idiot compared to someone else.

Thanks for the Mt. Dew all over my keyboard..

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Hey...I resemble that remark!

I'm not as think as you stupid I am!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'd call that an extremely dangerous slippery slope. One example might be if say people holding one political ideology, were to decide that that another ideology is inferior to theirs and therefore "stupid", so they decide to take complete control and force their ideology on those who differ. The world has seen that.

Measuring intelligence is an incredibly subjective thing and who's to even say what smart and stupid is. People who score high on IQ tests often do "stupid" things and people with low IQ's are often highly skilled at some things irrelevant to an IQ test.

In fact I would say your suggestion is one of the scariest things going. You need only look through history at people who decided people they consider stupid should be controlled, based on their own opinions of their idea's vs. others.

Narcissism has led to some horrors throughout history.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I think we have already accepted stupidity as the norm, just look at our politicians. But don't worry, with the present trending in a couple of generations it will all be over. Have you ever seen the movie "Idiocracy," because it seems that is where we are headed.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 4/30.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
How do you deal with dumb people?

The same way I deal with smart people. With respect, grace and style of a gentleman.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I deal with stupidity on a daily Basis.
How do I deal with it?
I walk away.
Stupid is as stupid does.
Wasted energy to try to correct it.
I have better things to deal with like do I need to clip my toe nails.
"

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think you would have been better off titling this, "Accepting ignorance as a social norm."

It really depends on the person, the subject and the circumstances. It's also important to keep in mind that most topics of debate are matters of opinion and referring to somebody with a difference of opinion as stupid is usually a good way of insuring that your opinion will be immediately disregarded.
edit on 2014-4-30 by theantediluvian because: fixing my stupid typo

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

I don't know about stupid. My IQ is 114 and I have many stupid moments in life, if I am honest with myself.

Those who take it upon themselves to try and forcibly change another person's perceptions is being what I consider to be stupid. Wisdom would dictate letting sleeping dogs lay, not throwing pearls before swine, etc. Why? Because when we take it upon ourselves we are truly avoiding working on our own issues. And let's make no mistake here, we all know exactly what our issues are, we just avoid looking at them as often as possible. So 'helping others' is only a way to continue not looking at our own effluent.

Knowledge is like all things; a changing and flowing path we walk in life. If we reach a point where we think and or believe we know better than others, then we need to stop and look at ourselves by asking, what is my honest motivation ?

Even those academics who cling to their learned perceptions on reality as if their life depended on it (which it does to some degree) are not bypassed by stupidity. In many cases it can seem worse for them because they are so full of themselves that they are blinded to their own limitations, and are thus unable to take on board paradigm changing thoughts due to being stuck in a learned and thus indoctrinated Belief structure.

I also see that we humans are on the slippery down-slope after rising as high as we could go with our limited intelligence, meaning, we are becoming far more 'stupid' than we have ever been in the last century.

Or maybe I am just being stupid.

edit on 1-5-2014 by Oldie48 because: fix spelling

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

One of the ways that i deal with stupidity is by reducing the frequency with which i reply to (many other) threads and comments on this site. There is so much uninformed and often hateful idiocy here from many posters, along with a myopic dogma that sadly supports it. It is rarely worth taking the time anymore to make a considered and sourced reply as it will all too often fall on a mind that simply does not wish to learn anything outside of it's chosen position

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
As I'm somewhat sure you know, there is a fine line between stupid and ignorant. Those who are truly stupid have no potential to change. The same could be said about the willingly ignorant, but there is a chance to change them. Or is it the other way around?

Either way, giving up on your fellow human is kind of wrong. If the person is an idiiot, there may be a chance to change their mind. Always look at it that way. If you realize they won't change or don't want to, then it's time to let it go. This doesn't mean those who don't agree with you. You have to keep in mind that at times some people who don't agree with you just might be right.

Stupidity is unavoidable. Like the movie Idiocracy, we look to be heading down a very horrifying road. But just hold on to some faith for humanity because people tend to be awfully surprising.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

In my opinion (due to change) we should not allow people to make te choice of remaining willfully ignorant or plainly stupid. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

What if remaining willfully ignorant is the smartest thing one can do? The most ignorant seem to be the most happiest.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Consider knowledge bases, just because you are a doctor does not mean you know how to change the oil in your own car.

Just not knowing some simple things does not make one stupid, but appear stupid to the stupid.

I know what I know, and if I could express to you exactly what it was that I knew you may consider my head to be full of irrelevant useless garbage, AKA Stoooopid.

I know a lot of people who act stupid but are not, it's a game to them to take advantage of others.

Anyway, Blah!.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Allow stupidity? No. Leave.

Stupidity is curable --it's temporary and of course it's relative.
Learn to embrace it. There is no one-dimensional, static form of intelligence. There are many different dimensions and they are always changing. Find out about that.

Willful ignorance is different, but in any case, don't solve your problems externally. Solve your problems internally.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

If a person says something that is not true, we should give that person the gift of knowledge by telling them the truth in a kindhearted way.

It is their choice however, if they do not receive the knowledge that we have freely given them, and if they choose to stay in ignorance then that is their choice. We are not superior to anyone and if we think we are, then that is a belief. Likewise, if we think we are inferior, that is also a belief. In reality, we are all human, with a human brain, living a human life. We are all ignorant on different subjects. There is not a single human that knows everything about all things. Our brains wouldn't even be able to handle all of that information. People struggle to remember all of the information that humanity is learning and have learned up to this point now.

It is the belief that one person is superior to others that makes things like war happen.

"I am superior, I should be able to control who I want"

"I am superior, I should be able to take what I want"

If people are ignorant, then they are without knowledge. They are in lack. Giving knowledge to those who lack knowledge is a gift but if you force it on others then it is no longer a gift but only aggression.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I really do think most of us have our “stupid” moments. Some more than others. Me, on a continual basis. So please, don’t get logical with me - it won’t work.

Stupid me, I thought this thread was regarding how it’s become somewhat fashionable to be stupid these days. I mean, seriously, it seems that a great many of the people that folks tend to idolize these days verge on the criminally stupid. It’s evident in the entertainment industry and television programming. The Kardashians, the Swamp People, Kane West, Justin Bieber, Jersey Shores, Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and on, and on... I know, different strokes for different folks, but please, a lot of this stuff is just plain brain dead. But, it seems to be preferred by much of our culture.

Maybe it’s just me, but it does seem that we’ve entered a phase where a lot of people seem to take pride in walking on the dim side. It’s like, “Hey, look at me! I’m cool! And I’m stupid, too!!!”. Wow, if you can climb that mountain, you’ve made it. You’re in, dude. I think it’s common knowledge that our educational system has gone to hell. And it’s not just the US that’s dumbing down; it’s the whole damn world!

This seems like a good time for a prayer: God, please help us rebuild our educational system. Please give us back the ability to construct complete sentences, free of grammatical errors. And most of all, God, please make an intelligence test a requirement to serve in Congress. Amen.

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m as stupid as the next guy
. The thing is, I’m not particularly proud of my “challenged side” and don’t wear it as a badge of honor.

Now, I do realize that there are many forms and varieties of intelligence. Just like SaturnFX said, it’s a subjective thing. I know individuals with advanced degrees who don’t have a lick of sense, but are highly tuned in to their particular niche. I’ve also known some people who did not have a great formal education, but were highly logical and methodical in their problem solving skills. Some folks are just innately intelligent. The thing is, it’s good that we’re not all intelligent in the same way. That would be so boring. God, what if everyone was a theoretical mathematician. What a party that would be.

At any rate, so much for my rambling. I actually think we’re just going through a phase. Basically, the younger generation is just trying to piss us off. You see, it’s their job
If humanity didn’t have these down times, then the Renaissance periods wouldn’t be nearly as cool.

PS: Don't tell anyone I said all this...

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
In my opinion (due to change) we should not allow people to make te choice of remaining willfully ignorant or plainly stupid. refuse it's existence.
Should I not allow you to use a full stop and then start the next sentence without a capital letter? Should I also point out that you have used 'te' in the sentence above instead of 'the'?

I've come to this conclusion after observing many a times when seemingly intelligent people do or say nothing BECAUSE they are intelligent and have wisdom. BUT is that right? Should we be leaders and take a stronger stance against this disease consuming our culture?

Should I say nothing about the grammar mistake above ('observing many a times') because I am wise? Are you portraying 'stupid' on purpose just for effect?
What do you consider stupid?

I personally think that there is no real way of measuring 'stupid'.
edit on 1-5-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

I would just like to add that I gave a star to SaturnFX as the post reflects how I feel about declaring anyone 'stupid'.
edit on 1-5-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
In all my life experience,those whom I admired to be truly intelligent,never felt the inclination to put down anyone else. True intelligence,is always realizing that no matter what,you will always meet someone who knows something that you do not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join