It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants to let states charge tolls on interstate highways

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I could see an extra few cents added to the fuel taxes, but only if every dime went directly to fixing roads and bridges. Since we all know they will divert it for other purposes based on history; hell no!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I could see an extra few cents added to the fuel taxes, but only if every dime went directly to fixing roads and bridges. Since we all know they will divert it for other purposes based on history; hell no!!!

You know as well as we do the funds won't be used for roads or bridges. We're much smarter than the Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Watchers Out There.

Here's a list of the ten states with the highest gas prices and their state tax per gallon.
I bet you can guess which States are going to Jump on Obama's form of Screwing The American People Out Of Their Monies!

These are the states with the highest gas prices:

10. Pennsylvania
-- Price per gallon: $3.64
-- Barrels produced, 2013: 5.4 million (19th most)
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): 595,000 (6th most)
-- Tax per gallon: 41.8 cents (5th highest)

9. Maine
-- Price per gallon: $3.64
-- Barrels produced, 2013: N/A
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): N/A
-- Tax per gallon: 30.0 cents (19th highest)

8. Indiana
-- Price per gallon: $3.66
-- Barrels produced, 2013: 2.4 million (23rd most)
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): 192,100 (16th most)
-- Tax per gallon: 38.7 cents (8th highest)

7. Michigan
-- Price per gallon: $3.72
-- Barrels produced, 2013: 7.8 million (16th most)
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): 120,000 (24th most)
-- Tax per gallon: 39.1 cents (tied for 6th highest)

6. Illinois
-- Price per gallon: $3.76
-- Barrels produced, 2013: 9.5 million (15th most)
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): 930,100 (4th most)
-- Tax per gallon: 39.1 cents (tied for 6th highest)

5. Connecticut
-- Price per gallon: $3.77
-- Tax per gallon: 49.3 cents (3rd highest)

4. New York
-- Price per gallon: $3.78
-- Barrels produced, 2013: 352,000 (26th most)
-- Tax per gallon: 49.6 cents (2nd highest)

3. Alaska
-- Price per gallon: $3.84
-- Barrels produced, 2013: 187.9 million (4th most)
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): 244,707 (14th most)
-- Tax per gallon: 12.4 cents (the lowest)

2. California
-- Price per gallon: $3.97
-- Barrels produced, 2013: 199.4 million (3rd most)
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): 1.6 million (3rd most)
-- Tax per gallon: 52.5 cents (the highest)

1. Hawaii
-- Price per gallon: $4.17
-- Refining capacity (barrels per day): 147,500 (21st most)
-- Tax per gallon: 49.1 cents (4th highest)

Link
Just another way to Suck The Blood Out Of The American Tax Paying Worker.

Yup, all of the Sheeple will be working their 30 hour a week jobs and paying for their Obamacare and won't have the monies to take that family vacation because they can't afford the Pay Tolls, that are manned by the Minimum Wage Worker. Yes, they'll be paid minimum wage, because, there won't be a middle class in America driving the kids to Sea World.
No the Sheeple will be home were the Government wants them, that why it's so much easier to keep an EYE on you.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: guohua

They can't afford to go to Sea World anyway, that money has to be saved in the event you need medical care so you can pay that multi-thousand dollar deductible before your Obamacare coverage kicks in.

Sad times when a broken bone can lead to homelessness/bankruptcy due to medical bills when you have insurance. Oh, and don't have a baby after turning 35. It is now considered a "high risk pregnancy" and pre-natal care doesn't have to be covered nor the delivery by some insurance companies.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I'll tell how well that will work out...

I have the luxury of using the NYS Thruway for my daily commute. Its is a toll road.

And one of the WORSE conditions of road I drive on the whole commute.

ALSO when the NYS Thruway was established. It was only suppose to be a toll road until the expenditure costs were recuperated.

AND were still paying tolls.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Welcome to life as usual here in Pennsylvania. It costs me over $6 to literally jump from one on-ramp to the very next exit and back. It's disgusting, and every year they hike them by at least 10%. Add that to the already absurd gas prices, and you can see how irritating it becomes to have to consider your commute as a big part of your expenses when looking for new employment opportunities as well

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaanny

Zanny, same sh!t here near Philadelphia. I didn't realize that not everyone else in the States got the shaft to the same degree as our states do. WTF?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
All I have to say is... this should be exciting for those who want "small Federal Government" and those who want to let the states do whaever they choose. President Obama is trying to make that a reality in that aspect by allowing the states to do what they want to do!

I don't like this personally, but I'm just pointing out a contradiction that people in here I'm sure will have. They will say "Obama is killing America" when in reality, he's just letting the states have their choice and reducing Federal Government involvement.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: yamammasamonkey
I think this is actually a clever way to build checkpoints all over the country without admitting so.

Good observation you've made right there sir! Very clever indeed. TSA SUVs at every toll.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: yamammasamonkey
I think this is actually a clever way to build checkpoints all over the country without admitting so.

Oh man ... collecting money AND built in checkpoints. I didn't even think of that. It's right there in our faces too ... WOW!
edit on 5/1/2014 by FlyersFan because: spacing

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

And it get's worse. In the State Of Oregon..you can't even pump your on GAS... Someone else has to do it.

NOW Oregon wants to tax you per MILE when you drive in their state.
www.foxnews.com...

Add a toll too? And camera's? Yikes! We're doomed.

Cheers!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wow, great idea. The middle class, and small business like I work for really need this, so we can be driven completely extinct.

On a personal note, wouldn't bother me. I don't drive more than 30 miles away from my home anyway. I do everything I can to NOT give anymore than I have to, to our wonderful government.

Maybe they are mad about WA and CO, and are trying to come up with ways to make more money, without doing the right thing, and admitting they were wrong?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I guess the unintended consequence will be that lots of people will rediscover the back roads of America, like Rte. 66, and all those small towns that are nearly dead may experience a Renaissance as all the motorists seeking to avoid tollways start traveling the back ways of the US again.

We've already started traveling the back road that I-70 replaced during football season in order to avoid paying the toll. It's not a bad drive, and we're not alone.
edit on 1-5-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I wonder how many billions will be spent building these toll gates. They can only be placed so many places, which is near highly used areas in major cities. There are places in the Midwest you can drive 50 miles and see 20 cars. I can drive a 30 mile stretch from my town to the next and sometimes see no cars in either direction until I reach the destination town and have never seen more than 20 in that section of highway. I have also been in large cities where driving 10-20 miles can cost you $10.00-15.00 in toll fees and the road was the worst freeway I had ever driven on. And some of the toll gates were more expensive than others which I never understood and no one could explain it to me. In one state, I was unaware I would be using a toll road and could not exit off once I became aware. I explained to the toll officer that I literally had no money or credit card and was given a notice of a toll owing. I amassed $15.00 in tolls before I could get off that freeway and several more notices. I was told I could mail the money in to that state's DOT and if I failed to do so, I wouldn't be able to renew my license when it expired.

This is going to be a cluster flock but I'm glad I live very far away from any major cities. I recently bought a scooter that I can drive around town (1 mile) which gets 85-90 mpg, so at least in fair weather I can save some money on gasoline.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SilentKillah
All I have to say is... this should be exciting for those who want "small Federal Government" and those who want to let the states do whaever they choose. President Obama is trying to make that a reality in that aspect by allowing the states to do what they want to do!

I don't like this personally, but I'm just pointing out a contradiction that people in here I'm sure will have. They will say "Obama is killing America" when in reality, he's just letting the states have their choice and reducing Federal Government involvement.

But wait.......where in this did the federal government abolish the fuel tax.......not anywhere of course. I'd say the quoted statement is the correct one..ding ....ding.

And they get internal border control stations for FREE!!! what a deal huh..?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Considering that the taxes on gas in US are quite low, I can see why there are problems financing rebuilding the infrastructure. Here I pay 2,2 dollars gas tax on every gallon (as I heard in US the tax is times lower) and still there is not enough money for reconstructing all the roads. Generally though the main roads are good and they are building lots of bicycle roads as well. The profits of companies building the roads are quite low though and it is not rare that companies have to pay a lot from their own pocket as the competition for the lowest bid is high.

Currently I see two options in US, if you want to get the infrastructure fixed.

1) Higher gas taxes.
2) Taxes for using the roads.

(3. I don´t know how the system works, how much the companies are allowed to profit from public projects, here for example certain punishments can happen latter if the profiteering is too high due to overpricing their product.In Russia on the other hand, a study calculated that the corruption in Russia has made road-building so expensive that the same stretch of highway could be coated in an eight-inch thick layer of foie gras for the same price (8.3 billion dollars for a 30-mile stretch of highway built for Sotchi olympics) . I guess it is not that bad in US, but well, knowing how strong the corporations there are...)
edit on 1-5-2014 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
When are people going to accept the only TRUTH there is? All the people in the US, save a few dozen or so, are scum. Everything they do from eat to drive and even death is RUINING everything that god made good. The ONLY, and I mean ONLY way to get these people to stop living - thereby ruining everything everywhere, is to tax them.

Taxes fix everything, always have, always will. Taxes on the poor have solved every single problem that mankind has ever faced. There is no problem, big or small, that cannot be solved by charging a tax - non. Honestly, we elect people to tax us as it is the only thing they can actually do. Politicians can do two things and two things ONLY! They can tax and they can spend. Those are the ONLY things they can do - they are neither qualified or ordained to anything but tax or spend. Taxes solve problems damn it, why can't you people see it?

The scourge of human activity can be stopped, they just have to pay a tax and all will be right in the world. Pay the tax you degenerate drivers, you scumbag eaters, you horrible procreators and by paying the tax everything in your world will be better. If we can just find a damn way to tax people on the air their waste by breathing I know, I know, the whole world will be just like we want it to be. Pray for the politicos to find a way to tax breathing!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Would businesses be onboard with this? How about trucking companies? Moving companies? This doesn't just target the average citizen, it again targets businesses and would be yet another expense. Could lead to layoffs if implemented. Could lead to downsizing. Could lead to less expansion.

If you're a company which is expanding nationally and uses the roadways to help in doing so, the farther you expand, the more you'll end up paying as it appears you'll be taxed upon entry or somewhere within every state you cross.
edit on 1-5-2014 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
a reply to: Violater1

Considering that the taxes on gas in US are quite low, I can see why there are problems financing rebuilding the infrastructure. Here I pay 2,2 dollars gas tax on every gallon (as I heard in US the tax is times lower) and still there is not enough money for reconstructing all the roads. Generally though the main roads are good and they are building lots of bicycle roads as well. The profits of companies building the roads are quite low though and it is not rare that companies have to pay a lot from their own pocket as the competition for the lowest bid is high.

Currently I see two options in US, if you want to get the infrastructure fixed.

1) Higher gas taxes.
2) Taxes for using the roads.

(3. I don´t know how the system works, how much the companies are allowed to profit from public projects, here for example certain punishments can happen latter if the profiteering is too high due to overpricing their product.In Russia on the other hand, a study calculated that the corruption in Russia has made road-building so expensive that the same stretch of highway could be coated in an eight-inch thick layer of foie gras for the same price (8.3 billion dollars for a 30-mile stretch of highway built for Sotchi olympics) . I guess it is not that bad in US, but well, knowing how strong the corporations there are...)

I understand, you consider our fuel taxes are quite low compared to where you live, and where is that?
How many vehicles do you have fueling up each day in each city in each state, not to mention, Truck drivers, that pay taxes on each of their furl tanks and each of those tanks hold 103 gallons of diesel at eight miles to the gallon how many times do they have to fill up to cross one of our average size states?

We pay less than you, there's a reason some where for that.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
If trucking companies have to pay even more to get around, expect prices on pretty much everything to go up.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Let em charge tolls on interstates, if I am in such a hurry to get somewhere that I need to use the ugly, boring and dangerous interstates, I just stay home.

I don't like to drive anyway...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join