It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wants to let states charge tolls on interstate highways

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Obama wants to let states charge tolls on interstate highways, currently violating a federal ban in most states.
www.foxnews.com...
www.washingtonpost.com... tml
Obama’s GROW AMERICA Act, a $302 billion transportation bill, is a toll provision that calls for eliminating “the prohibition on tolling existing free Interstate highways, subject to the approval of the Secretary, for purposes of reconstruction."
The years and years of American tax payers money will all be nullified by Obama’s Act.
Only an Obamabot would be for such an outrage.
What will come next?

edit on V242014Wednesdaypm30America/ChicagoWed, 30 Apr 2014 20:24:11 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
It's a way to get around the decline in gas tax revenue because of better fuel mileage and the increase in hybrid vehicles. It's also a way to increase that revenue without the extreme backlash of a mileage tax scheme that many rightly point out as more than slightly Orwellian. In states that want to curb carbon emissions or whatever, it's a back door way to allow them to do that by increasing the amount of money it takes to get places and hopefully curb traffic.

You can also bet your bottom dollar that businesses will get a pass. It will be a backdoor tax increase on the working man.
edit on 30-4-2014 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

Great...do it Obama...your constituants are getting more and more fed up with you, keep piling it on..

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

A number of States already charge toll on interstate highways

www.fhwa.dot.gov...
edit on 30-4-2014 by Justacasualobserver because: Add source

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So if I drive to Florida from Michigan I could be looking at paying as much in tolls as I do in fuel? What a crock of $*%*! The idea that they are losing tax revenue due to fuel economy is a joke as well. Aside from the Toyota Prius and a handful of other cars fuel economy has not increased very much at all. This is just another reason to tax everyone more. Tax and spend seems to be the running MO, never mind any meaningful reform, they can just add more taxes when they want more money to spend.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Heck.. Why not? I had so much spare money laying around....I was wondering whatever I'd do with it all?

It's not like we pay a tax on every gallon for the maintenance of the transportation system. Hell no...

Wait... We do..huh?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justacasualobserver

A number of States already charge toll on interstate highways

www.fhwa.dot.gov...

Yes we know that. That is why I stated "Obama wants to let states charge tolls on interstate highways, currently violating a federal ban in most states."
However, what you failed to reveal is that 95% of those 20 States are Democratic.
CA, CO, Delaware, FL, IL, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, NY, Ohio, OK, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico doesn’t count at this time, SC, TX, UT, and West Virginia.
edit on V542014Wednesdaypm30America/ChicagoWed, 30 Apr 2014 20:54:42 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

As I was traveling around Austin yesterday on the way to near Ft. Hood, and turned on toll road i30, I skirted the finishing touches being put on a new toll road under construction that will replace part of 290 the main road from Austin to Houston which will become a toll road in that part anywy in a few months. Soon Austin will be ringed with toll roads. The thought struck me that this is the wave of the future, toll roads, and the charging of us to drive on any road or street, city or state highway. Most of which will have already been built and paid for.

Actually, they will probably be real sly about it some day and allow us to vote whether we went toll roads to and fro or simply be taxed for our totally miles driven. --Because the smart cars will know and even now our yearly vehicle inspections reveal how many miles exactly we have driven.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
this is so damned unsustainable, this has got to stop. I like how they like to package this crap in a cake and ice cream light: Grow America Act my foot.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Remember in 50s when Dwight D. Eisenhower pitched the interstate system as a source of pride and national security?

Now it's just another potential source of income for the late, great U.S.A.

edit on 4/30/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

It's in rather poor shape at that, too.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I think this is actually a clever way to build checkpoints all over the country without admitting so.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: yamammasamonkey

Dang! You're right....

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Just another way to F the working man. Not only in the bit of money to travel to work to earn our money, to buy our wants and needs, but make us wake up just a little bit earlier to deal with the lines at the toll booths so that the welfare sucking leaches can sleep in peace knowing we will pay for roads.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: yamammasamonkey
I think this is actually a clever way to build checkpoints all over the country without admitting so.

Way to think outside the box! Yeah what better way to have people waiting to be searched than a toll booth that you have to stop at? Brilliant!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: yamammasamonkey

I didn't see that coming, but you could be spot on.
Star 4 U

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Recent governmental activity in the area of ITS – specifically in the United States – is further motivated by an increasing focus on homeland security. Many of the proposed ITS systems also involve surveillance of the roadways, which is a priority of homeland security.[2] Funding of many systems comes either directly through homeland security organizations or with their approval. Further, ITS can play a role in the rapid mass evacuation of people in urban centers after large casualty events such as a result of a natural disaster or threat. Much of the infrastructure and planning involved with ITS parallels the need for homeland security systems.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Awesome! Now no one will use the freeway and I can get to work in half the time!

Seriously, though. This is just one more blatant example of the orchestrated eradication of opportunity for the common man in favor of the power elite.

I would have a lot more respect (well, you know what I mean) for Obama supporters if they would just come out and admit what they're really all about. Just give us the straight poop so we can have a real conversation for once.

Unfortunately, I suspect most of them are simply too stupid (or delusional) to grasp the obvious. And the rest are just liars.

Don't let the toll booths go up. And I'm not talking about writing your "representatives". I mean... don't let them go up.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Eventually, massive traffic surveillance networks will be setup for the deployments of ITS technologies on all the freeways, arteries and local intersections. Countless lives, time and money will be saved by advanced traffic controls [Ch.7]. Another page in the history of transportation system will be written, with the title “New Era of ITS Deployment”. Keeping this promising future in mind, there is no doubt that more resources should be invested in the research and development of traffic surveillance systems and associated ITS applications.

Above threat is on pdf page 150 of 161. Actual page of document is 146.
www.its.berkeley.edu...

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

It's because the Corprotocracy doesn't want to give up the billions of dollars ear-marked for national defense and their other stupid projects.

Roads? Screw that!

So far, we have the following:
1. Loss of jobs due to financial crisis (poor to low income hit the worst)
2. Increased health care costs (or fines) via ObamaCare (less discretionary income for working poor)
3. States fighting against raising the minimum wage (stagnant wages at the bottom)
(Additional thought, I feel like I'm missing another recent hit to poor/low income Americans.)

Now we want to charge them to drive on the Interstates that were originally to be free?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the agenda. Actions speak louder than words.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join