It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clever Jury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
In a criminal justice system based on 12 individuals not smart enough to get out of jury duty, here is a jury to be proud of:

A defendant was on trial for murder.

There was strong evidence indicating guilt,but there was no corpse.

In the defence's closing statement,the lawyer, knowing that his client would probably be convicted, resorted to a trick.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,I have a surprise for you all," the lawyer said as he looked at his watch.

"Within one minute, the person presumed dead in this case will walk into this courtroom."

He looked toward the courtroom door.

The jurors, somewhat stunned, all looked on eagerly.

A minute passed. Nothing happened.

Finally, the lawyer said,"Actually, I made up the previous statement.  But you all looked on with anticipation.

I, therefore, put it to you that you have a reasonable doubt in this case as to whether anyone was killed,and I insist that you return a verdict of not guilty."

The jury retired to deliberate.

A few minutes later, the jury returned and pronounced a verdict of guilty.

"But how?" inquired the lawyer.

You must have had some doubt; I saw all of you stare at the door."

The jury foreman replied:"Yes, we did look,  But your client didn't."

My uncle sent me this story and I am not sure if it any basis in reality but I thought it was worth repeating here.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
In a criminal justice system based on 12 individuals not smart enough to get out of jury duty, here is a jury to be proud of:

A defendant was on trial for murder.

There was strong evidence indicating guilt,but there was no corpse.

In the defence's closing statement,the lawyer, knowing that his client would probably be convicted, resorted to a trick.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury,I have a surprise for you all," the lawyer said as he looked at his watch.

"Within one minute, the person presumed dead in this case will walk into this courtroom."

He looked toward the courtroom door.

The jurors, somewhat stunned, all looked on eagerly.

A minute passed. Nothing happened.

Finally, the lawyer said,"Actually, I made up the previous statement.  But you all looked on with anticipation.

I, therefore, put it to you that you have a reasonable doubt in this case as to whether anyone was killed,and I insist that you return a verdict of not guilty."

The jury retired to deliberate.

A few minutes later, the jury returned and pronounced a verdict of guilty.

"But how?" inquired the lawyer.

You must have had some doubt; I saw all of you stare at the door."

The jury foreman replied:"Yes, we did look,  But your client didn't."

My uncle sent me this story and I am not sure if it any basis in reality but I thought it was worth repeating here.

still wouldn,t be any basis in story cause surely if the client knew he killed them then he would look round as if to say what the hell and even if he didn,t kill them he would do the exact same thing?

its a story that no matter what way he reacted you couldn,t prove guilt.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: sparky31

Don't take iT seriously it's just a story whether it's true or not.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I liked your story.

It reminds me of the time I told my preteen children that I could predict the future, and to prove it, I wrote my prediction down on a piece of paper and pocketed it. They made fun of me of course, until I said I was no longer amused and that since they were not going to stop ridiculing me, then they perhaps ought to go to bed.

Whereupon they looked up at the clock and their mamma said gotcha!

edit on 1-5-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Cool trick I will have to remember that one.

top topics

join