It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I Free to Go ? Am I being Detained ? Warning Speeders, man is confronted by Police.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

This is how it's done...

I would of left the first time the Cop said I was free to go.

For those who can't see the video...

The man is holding a sign asking people to slow down and warning of Police ahead.

The man then invokes his rights...The Cop (to his credit) let's him go.
edit on 30-4-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Nicely done. I too would've left after he said I was free to go the first time...... Seems like he was just stoking the fire asking if he was being detained AFTER it was said that he was free, but still. Nice job

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

The cop was just feeling the guy out before realizing he was being baited and then on video. The cop would have been an even worse asshole if he would have known otherwise.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Considering that something of similar nature was just ruled in Florida -- that being it is protected to "dim" or "flash" your lights to warn oncoming drivers of a potential police trap -- I see this as no different.

The normal charge, if this cop were to have arrested him, would have to be obstruction of justice, which of course is hard enough to prove in my opinion.

On that, good on both for keeping calm heads, but honestly, why even stop to "investigate" if you are an officer?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
That citizen was playing with fire... but good for him... he might want to take a break from that spot for a while if the same cop shows up again at a later date with back up and tries to take him down...
Again, good for him!!

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: coastlinekid

me? it's these type idiots who make or cause 'further considerations' in the mind eye of law enforcement. - these idiots who 'play the whole' 'am i being detained, whatever, bvll# - ticket/schtick'.

those who take it upon themselves to 'make a statement' regarding their right to WhatEver ...

it matters not, apparently to them, be it 'gun rights', 'civil rights', etc.

that they have to 'go to such extremes' to 'make their point' tells me more about them than the 'official' [officer, etc] they typically end up having to deal with.

idiots abound on ALL Sides, folks.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I tried the "am i under arrest or being detained" had to ask about 5 times before I was hit with something and then locked in full shackles in a room about 3x3 foot with nothing but a metal bench and a ring on the floor. All I did was witness a cop break a guys arm after dive tackling him after getting out of a cab. I ended up with a 500$ fine cop was without badge and apparently one a car thieving sting. Didn't know the guy we just shared a cab coming back from a bar in harrisburg I was with a lady friend haven't seen in ages since joining the USMC we were all headed to the same area guy got out of the cab and guess got sighted peeing in a bush by a cop sitting somewhere all I heard was gun and a big guy tackled the dude into a sidewalk curb I got out of the cab to do something about it find out something I even called dispatch when guy said he was a cop, before dispatch could verify i was yanked to the deck by 2 guys phone taken and held in someones yard at gun point. Cops even went so far to tell the neighbors that came out to see what was happening that a couple guys were trying to stiff a cab. I was held for about 2 hours and then cited for disorderly conduct. I don't really like police activity or police although I do have marine buddies that are cops including one dying of bone cancer. Most of them i know thought they could make the world a better place, sometimes they do but in the long run you cant change the machine from the inside.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
ATS LEOs - a question.

Do you think that the average cop (like the one in the video) are unaware that this has been upheld over and over and over and over as protected speech by the courts? Or are they aware that there IS no law against this and they're just trying to harass the guy knowing it'll be tossed and they'll have to answer for it down the road?

Do they not care that the suit will be lost and the city will have to settle, knowing that if they go to court they'll be murdered by a federal judge?

I just don't understand the thought process involved here. What's going through the cop's mind?

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is the reason Cops will all be wearing cameras soon.

I am starting to think it is a good idea.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Until they start messing with or covering up cameras... police departments would never do that. Ohhh wait, nevermind LAPD already has that down.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Trust me I love what he did there and I believe he asked several times and in two specific ways so there would be absolutly no question if sh$/ went bad. The thing is I don't think that would have gone down so smoothly if the camera wasn't there. Just a feeling.

I would even be sketched out doing that with a camera because of how things magically get misplaced lost or destroyed in police custody. This is why I like the google glass cloud storage because well it wouldn't be in reach of police hands.

There was a thread not long ago railing against google glass. They are too expensive for me but I really think they have the potential to change things such as police corruption, brutality, and such or at least make it to where such instances where there is evidence against them disappear like lucky charms in fat camp.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Every state has different laws about this type of thing. In some its considered obstruction of justice, others it can be interference with a law enforcement officer. So check your state laws before you get your sign and head out looking for a speed trap.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
ATS LEOs - a question.

Do you think that the average cop (like the one in the video) are unaware that this has been upheld over and over and over and over as protected speech by the courts? Or are they aware that there IS no law against this and they're just trying to harass the guy knowing it'll be tossed and they'll have to answer for it down the road?

Do they not care that the suit will be lost and the city will have to settle, knowing that if they go to court they'll be murdered by a federal judge?

I just don't understand the thought process involved here. What's going through the cop's mind?

It doesn't matter what the law is. The cop can detain you, make you move, arrest you, or anything else. It's not their job to interpret the law, it's their job to give you a court date. The court then decides if you were allowed to do what the cop stopped you from doing. That is how cops are taught today. Don't like something? Make them stop. If you overstep your authority let the court handle it. If the citizen resists at the scene it just gives you an actual charge against them.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

It doesn't matter what the law is. The cop can detain you, make you move, arrest you, or anything else. It's not their job to interpret the law, it's their job to give you a court date. The court then decides if you were allowed to do what the cop stopped you from doing. That is how cops are taught today. Don't like something? Make them stop. If you overstep your authority let the court handle it. If the citizen resists at the scene it just gives you an actual charge against them. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Absolutely. Around here he would have been in the tank-with a few assorted bruises. Then the media would burn you at the stake for taking a police officer off his assignment. I imagine the booking personal would have placed you in the night court holding pen. There you would be able to discuss your funny joke with the 'segregated' population.

Patrol officers and beat cops don't care about the law-they lock you up and let the courts decide your punishment.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have mixed feeling about this. First of all I love people who stand up for their (our) rights...anyone willing to fly the flag of discontent and expose corruption or abuse of authority has my respect.

That being said, why is this guy doing it in the first place? I'd say he's not all fired up about protecting his freedom of speech...hundred-to-one he got a ticket (or several) for speeding and is pissed about it. He is clearly baiting the cops in an attempt to get revenge for being caught breaking the law. Thanks buddy, but there are already signs out there for us. They usually read "Speed Limit 55, Strictly Enforced."

Habitual speeders piss me off because they kill people quite frequently. The most common reason they change their driving is by getting tickets...or by killing someone. People used to speed through my neighborhood all the time until the police started giving tickets. For some reason people don't speed through anymore and children can safely ride their bikes and stuff.

Why not take a sign that reads "Cops Watching, Don't Sell Drugs!" to a corner that's being staked out for heroine dealers or maybe a one that reads "House Ahead is Under Surveillance!" if you know there is a pedophile sting going down nearby. Free speech and all, right?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

This would be something that is covered at the start of a week shift. If the team had a competent Sgt. or Lt. in charge.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I think most Cops love their Country...

Problem is, one bad Cop screws it up for everybody.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I think most cops don't think, they are buried by duty, and do what you are told if you want to keep your job, they have a whole other aspect of corruption to deal with. I don't think they are all a-holes effin number one'rs but I know they got their own line of shizz to have to manage and still be able to come out feeding their families and themselves. It is a miserable thing but IT IS THERE

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

There is no evidence to support your assertion that speeders kill people all the time or change their habits due to tickets. In fact if speed limits and tickets were so effective we would have very few traffic fatalities. Speed has nothing to do with it. Race car drivers routinely fly at 180+ mph in really close proximity to other cars without crashing. What is a problem is the inability of a lot of people to drive (at any speed!) Poor driving skills are the cause of almost all accidents. Yes the cars may be going faster than the posted speed limit but its the inability of the driver to execute basic driving skills that causes accidents. i am nit picking here but the fact of the matter is that speed limits are primarily a revenue generating scheme for local governments and an avenue for searching vehicles.
I will give you an example from my drive to work. A 4 lane divided highway. No sharp curves or tricky sections. This stretch of road is driven everyday by vehicles doing in excess of 55 mph with no problems. It is however posted at 45 mph.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
I think most Cops love their Country...

Problem is, one bad Cop screws it up for everybody.

The real problem is that the bad cops don't see themselves as being in the wrong. They think they're doing good and to hell with your rights, it's for the greater good.

top topics

join