It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-1 ratio of lurkers to members seems to usually hold steady

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: RapGameJamesFranco
Read this post and decided to join! Going all in I guess! I enjoy reading what all of you have to say.

And you are greeted with many dancing girls (or boys), the finest food on the planet (you can now see signatures, those things on the bottom of the posts, so check out my first one and thank the heavens you came here), and these things:

Welcome, and enjoy your adventures here. (you can write an introduction in the introductory forum if you'd like, you don't have to though. When you post 20 times you can start your own threads anywhere on the site except for a few places.)
edit on 30-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: RapGameJamesFranco

Welcome to the site. They have a new member introduction forum . Have fun.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

... and what those stats' don't show, is how many of those lurkers are actual members of good standing just waiting to pounce once an opportunity comes their way.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I don't think I ever lurked. I stumbled on ATS in June 2004 and signed up immediately. I remember a conversation going on and a poster named se7en was posting. It was a supernatural discussion I think ... I thought ... hell yeah!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Perhaps

I don't know, once you've signed in as a member it's hard imagining looking at the site as a lurker, there's such a difference in the experience. Wait, I haven't checked those numbers since yesterday. Be right back with number of lurkers and the number of signed-in members lolling around. Right now: 2,331 guests, 252 members

edit on 1-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The last supernatural discussion I had my soul was taken on a buggy ride.

(I don't even now what that means, but it sounds good)

FF, I'm certainly glad you found that discussion, knowing you is one of the joys of coming to this site.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
BANNED for going on a buggy ride without me! oooops .. no wait ... wrong thread.

Seriously though ... the numbers are 10-1 ... but maybe like someone said, the lurkers could be a lot of members just looking around for a reason to log in and post?? Dunno ... but it's an interesting number.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Really the only reason i'm logged in is so threads look nicer and read better. Lurk mode is fully engaged.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Oh good! Start an introduction thread.

BTW ... I think James Franco is adorable. A guilty pleasure ... I admit that I liked 'This is the end'. It's crass and not a girl flick .. but I admit that I had fun watching it ... especially when Hermoine jacked the dudes for all their water and busted out the door.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jeroenske
Really the only reason i'm logged in is so threads look nicer and read better. Lurk mode is fully engaged.

I guess I don't consider you a lurker then. I look at lots of threads and posts without commenting, but just reading or watching the vids. As long as you are signed in as a member, then you're a member, imnho, and that's what the stats count you as. Oh well, good to meet you, and please "say" when you have things to say (you must know a few things that the rest of us should know, think about, or discuss)...wait, where did you go?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Perhaps a lot of people are like me, could not be bothered to sign in all the time but just come to see whats on the go.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I lurked for years and years, never joining. I saw so many posts that were so very well researched, and poster so euridite, that I really didn't want to sulky the place with my ignorance.
That, and the vitrol hurled at any member of my career. (I think of it as my calling)

Finally, one day, something was said, I think in the weapons forum it was, that I just could not let stand uncorrected, and I've been stuck ever since.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DC434L2A

Anyone who uses words like 'euridite' and 'vitrol' and is worried about their ignorance is....I don't know the word for it, but good to meet you.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You are right. It is not because of the ads that I sign in. It is the chance to add to the discussion. No matter how insignificant my opinion may be, it is still read, digested and commented on if need be. THAT gives me a voice, no matter how small.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
i lurked for several years. Maybe3 or so. The first year I didn't lurk much. The caliber of participation here was intimidating to me, and it took me awhile to feel comfortable with the flow.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Welcome to the site. They have a new member introduction forum . Have fun.

I didn't see the Intro forum for a few years after joining and never got around to making one.. Never felt like I fitted in after missing my intro.. So RGJF, if your planning on sticking around, make a point of doing your Introduction..

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
In other words, anyone who writes a post on ATS is reaching an audience ten times larger than the membership.
That's quite a useful thing to be able to do.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think I lurked for about an hour or so, then jumped in, head first. But, do your stats show which subforums the lurkers enjoy lurking most?

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
I think I lurked for about an hour or so, then jumped in, head first. But, do your stats show which subforums the lurkers enjoy lurking most?

HI you guys, I'm in and out for a quick look at the thread. The stats I look at are on the Forum page, on the left when you check it out, but all they show is the number of guests and number of signed-in members (I don't know if there is any further break-down anywhere, I would doubt if the site tracks number of "looks" to any particular thread or forum). Glad some of the lurkers are walking around on the site, everyone's input is valuable.

BigFatfurryTexan, I'm sure everyone who knows you on ATS is glad you are posting and doing other things, just goes to show present-day lurkers that their knowledge and skills are an asset to the site, so come on in!

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I just checked the stats - check out this 10-1 ratio. As of a few seconds ago:

3,326 guests
333 members

...and since I'm signing off right now, it's 3,326 to 332!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join